1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a car: title and other fees b.s.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sernv99, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I live in northern VA and am looking at buying a used car. I found a car that I liked but wanted to get some feedback on paying for title, registration, and other "DMV" fees that the dealer adds on to the price.

Is it more feasible, $$$ wise, for me to do the DMV legwork myself (titling, registration, etc.) vs. letting the dealer do it for me and charging me X amount of dollars for doing this?

I plan to tell the dealer to eat the cost of their "dealer processing fee" but I suspect they will try to get over on me with overcharging me to do the DMV paperwork to make up for the lost of the "dealer processing fee".

Anyone have experience with this, especially in Virginia?

Thanks.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just did it with a new car purchase. The dealer estimated the cost for registration and title and I paid him up front. When all was said and done he refunded the difference. No fees were charged, only actual cost of reg. and title. HMB

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

HMB: is it a paperwork maze doing it yourself at the DMV?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Every dealer I know is set up to take care of it for you. They have a temporary registration for your windshield and a direct connection with the DMV. Stop by your local DMV and ask them for the paper work that you will need. HMB

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

well I went to two different dealers and they pulled out their "4 box" worksheet, gave me a price on my trade in and gave me the final sale price + "fees". I assume, they want you to agree to the deal without itemizing the "fees" so they can get you on overcharging for "DMV" fees, which should not be costing so much $$$ to begin with. But I suspect if I tell them to eat the cost of the dealer fee and that I will be doing the DMV legwork myself, they will reduce the amount of my trade-in.

I will check with my DMV tomorrow to find out what paperwork I need.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

While the paperwork in the Peoples Republic of Mass is not all that difficult (at all) there is a good chance that the runaround and WAIT at the office will drive you to commit acts of assault and battery on RMV (useless, hopeless, surly, sarcastic) workers....better to let a runner bang their heads on the wall than you....

Many years I bought a car for a dollar.....the woman behind the counter asked if I was going to pay the sales tax by check or cash?? The tax was a nickel.....thinking about it now, I should have paid by check, or at least with pennies....I have more stories....but they make my blood boil

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

most dealers build in a fee for selling the car. some are 75 for used and 250 for new. they do all the paperwork. it is really a b.s. fee but they also saometimes add an advertising fee that their association charges them. it's hard to get them to remove that fee. Many dealers have it printed at the bottom of the sales order and will NOT take it off. The paper work is easier if they do it but if they do it at cost fine. Other then that you can ask them to remove it. Let us know how far you get. motordoc

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

DO NOT SIGN ANYTING until it is all itemized!

Any unreasonable fee, tell them to remove it!

If they refuse, start heading for the door...odds are they will not want to lose the sale, and will remove it. Just part of the haggling game.

If not...there are other dealers with lots of cars!

9. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I think it will depend on where you live.

Here in Missouri most of the dealers add on a "Title" fee of anywhere from $75 to $250, but in reality it is just dealer markup.

YOU still have to go to the DMV and process the paperwork!

When asked they will give you some BS story about covering the cost of doing the paperwork. By law they have to provide you with a properly assigned title/etc. so the "Fee" is for the most part bogus. The only thing they could point to with any legitimacy is the cost of the temp tag, which is no where near the amount they are charging.

I have walked away from several deals where they sprung this after the negotiations were complete (or so I thought), in both cases nothing was said about it until we were signing the paperwork and the "Fee" showed up. BS!

The last purchase I made was just over the line in Arkansas and the dealer there had a number of signs posted in the office and showroom that indicated that the "Fees" were not state required. These were rather large signs and looked like they were the result of some sort of consumer complaint to the AG and no, I didn't end up paying their $150 "fee" when it was all said and done.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

went by my local DMV today and it was packed....no surprise so I probably should fork up the extra $$$ to have the dealer do the DMV paperwork, however they can eat their processing fee since dealers have a direct line into the DMV and don't have to send an minimum wage errand boy to stand in line at the DMV. Will now try to bargain with the sharks and see which one bites. One thing I am finding out that none of the dealers in my area (northern VA) are offering any great deals on their ceritfied used cars, most are like $1500 below KBB value. I guess they must be doing pretty well in this economy.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Reguardless of what they tell you, never and I mean never buy an aftermarket extended warrenty. This is the biggest scam know to man kind and usually not worth the paper they are printed on.

The dealer fee's and all the other add-on's can usually be negotiated out or down. This is where the F&I guy tries to make a living.

If you are financing the difference, check with your local banking institution to see what kind of rates they are offering. The F&I people are allowed to bump the interest rate a point or two in most states.

The dealers make most of the money on the deals with all the extra's. If you don't get the deal you're looking for just walk away.

One last note, get the keys to your trade-in prior to walking into the F&I office. They like to play little games before returning your keys if you try to leave. If the deal gets made you can give them the keys when you sign on the dotted line

I hope it all goes well.

ss

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

yeah, my credit union rate is 3.99%...beats the heck out of any dealer financing....and I never bought into one of those extended warranties. Saving maybe $100 or $150 a paycheck into a high interest online savings acocunt, per month, is my source for an "extended warranty" to pay for any repairs needed.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You are way ahead of the game!

ss

14. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

At the DMV here in Glen Burnie, Maryland which is the head office, you sometimes wait all day without getting any work done, and these people must be hired for being champions at work in slow motion. I almost always buy from a Chevy dealer here, that can put Hard tags on any car before you drive off the lot. This is much easier, and you never have to go to the DMV, except maybe for some dumb stuff. The price of this service is very reasonable................Rick Johnson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my car dealer is overcharging me dmv charges