1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buyer backs out on purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by magnumshot, Jun 22, 2013.

1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I thought I had sold a Garand to a business acquaintance. He accepted the buy with a handshake, and promised he'd pay it off in three weeks. I just got a call from him saying he's backing out. He instead is buying a M1a, and just ordered it with a three month wait. Now this is a painter. I've given him jobs over the years with him making over $75,000, with $10,000 in the last month with no money being made on my end. This guy is a Mason. I think this just sucks. I thought a handshake was supposed to be worth something. I thought Masons held themselves to a higher regard. I don't know what to think about this other than I will no longer do business with him. I just needed to vent.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Tough break. If you're smart, he just made a business decision that wasn't.

-Gary

3. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

If you had not received any payments yet from him then there really wasnt much of a deal made. Be glad that he backed out now instead of after 2 payments and wanted his money back. Post the gun here for more money. Sell it and be happy. Good kuck.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

So, I guess this proves (absolute proof) all Mason's don't hold themself to a higher standard ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

brdslayr, there was a deal made, it was called a handshake. Too bad some people don't honor those anymore.

GneJ

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

The guy backed out. You obviously know what kind of guy you are and would not think kindly of a guy backing out without a deposit or something.

It has nothing to do with being a Mason. Please....

Did he screw you in anyway other than backing out? Meaning did you have another guy on the hook and you pulled it for your friend? Did you lower the price for him or do anything above and beyond the call of a regular business deal?

You gave him a bunch of painting jobs so now you aren't because he backed out of deal on an M1?

Seriously.... Stuff comes up, other deals present themselves.

Give it a rest.

I can guarantee you someone will buy your M1 for what you want with little waiting around.

If the guy is a good painter, good businessman, does his job and you trust him, then you are the fool if you no longer due business with him because of the deal. Now it got personal. You got your panties ruffled up.

Its business from what i see. You didn't personalize the deal in anyway that I can tell or you have offered to share. The guy is a business acquaintance.

You are just pissed he is taking his money and buying another gun. An gun "that's on a 3-month wait" as you added and you don't like it.

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Is there possibly 2 sides to the story? No disrespect meant?

8. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

We have politicians who not only shake hands, they swear on the Bible to uphold The Constitution then turn around and propose and vote for gun laws, and other things, that are a direct violation of our constitutional Bill Of Rights. I guess the lesson from our leaders is that oaths, handshakes, and promises mean nothing anymore. Sadly, this guy backing out on a handshake deal is the new world we live in. We need to teach our children and grandchildren that character and words matter, then maybe they can save this once great nation. Just the first thought I had when I read this thread. -Mark

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If I gave my word I would never back out without a good reason. A man is only as good as his word IMO. This is the second time this has happened to me this month. It's not right.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Masons are not perfect people. If they were perfect, they wouldn't be Masons. The objective is to "Make good men better". Apparently, this Brother needs to appreciate the value of a hand shake.

Jb (MM)

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Tron: Who said he was black?

-Gary

12. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

If this is the second time this has happened in a month then you should learn from the second time you made a mistake. Make a deal and either get the money or a nonrefundable deposit. As my friend always says " if the pope himself was on the phone and was going to come over and there was another guy standing there with the money. Sorry Pope.

13. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

Not all good men are Masons and not all Masons are good men....unfortunately!

14. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

should have a deposit :)

15. art g

art g Member

I wonder what the price was on the Garand in question?

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In my day ( I am 71) a hand shake was as good as a signed contract. I still believe in it. Appaerently he does not. I would have went through with the buy and re sold it for a loss or whatever it turned out to be but never ever would I have backed out on a deal. This is the one thing about our society that bothers me a lot today. No credibilty

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I still believe the handshake is a contract. You only get one chance to break it. Jake

18. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Cubancigar,

You are 100 %% spot on !! You and I could do business all day long.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I second what MDJ67. That's a man that understands the meaning of a mans word. A man once took pride in the value of his word. I suspect the OP is the same type of person and thought he could trust the buyers word. It's a shame those that don't understand that.

20. red hammer

red hammer Member

Daddy always said the only thing a man really has is his word daddy always talked a lot