1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Perazzi in US or Italy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Looking for someone who knows how overseas gun purchase can work. I'm planning a trip to the Perazzi factory this summer. Can you buy a gun in europe and bring it back, or have it shipped? I also have a place in europe can I keep it there and shoot it for a time then bring back without any duty? I'm sure a TS reader knows.

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Why not just buy it in the US? You can order it while there and have it delivered here.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can't bring it back with you. You'll need to fill out quite a bit of paperwork and then have to work through a Class III Import/Export dealer and there are fees involved.

You also may have to pay 11% excise tax on the gun brought into the country.

You'd be smarter to buy here and support the USA dealers.

Whiz

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Done couple times through a dealer friend, mostly when Euro was at US$0.86~$0.89

I remember a brand new MX-2000 Bunker gun was approx. US$4500 after everything was done. Today, there's almost no price advantage to buy it over there, besides there're lots of paper work and waiting time from both sides (Italians are not much faster than us), contact BATF for the form and details.

5. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

You will need ATF form 6 and 6a Import duties are offset by your exemption which is cumulative and based on the number of family members accompaning you!There is nothing special in importing a gun,and you will save the VAT tax ,up to 22% which will be refunded to you by mail! Remember to have your VAT exemption form filled out by Italian Customs before you board your plane! ! ! There is a booth at the airport where they confirm export of the item's you bought in Italy! They will not honor a form stamped by US Customs. Mike Moloney Senior Customs inspector Retired!

6. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Have a dealer here set you up for a visit and pick out your wood and have it custom fitted to you. All of that is free rather than get something off the rack and pay the same. It will take a few months but you have a gun just like you want.

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

There is a procedure for buying a car overseas and bringing it into the US that I suspect would work very well with a shotgun.

Mercedes allows you to pick up your car at the factory in Germany, drive it around for a while, and then return it to Mercedes or one of its agents. The car is then exported to your dealer by Mercedes, just as if you hadn't driven it, except some of the taxes/import duties are reduced. My guess is that you could pick up your gun at the Perazzi factory, use it in Europe, then return it to the factory and let them handle the process of delivering it to your dealer in the US.

To improve on the process, if you can get to LA, you could be measured for your gun by Lucio Sosta (the Perrazi VP for the US), and have the gun ready for pickup when you get there. You would need to do this well in advance, but forewarned is forearmed, so to speak. And you would wind up with a perfectly fitted gun - Lucio is a genius, not to mention a very nice guy.

Ted K.

8. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

In addition to saving the 22% VAT tax there is no duty on sporting shotguns imported from Italy, see tariff num. 9303.20.00 in the HTUS where duty rates are published,this is effective 01/01/2010

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

since some of this discussion has turned to cost saving, what is the intent of the OP by importing the gun from Italy into the US, to save $$$?? If so, I am not seeing how you can save a significant amount of $$$ by importing a Perazzi into the US. Let's see some hard numbers, dollars and cents, from someone who recently imported a new Perazzi from Italy into the US....I see some pretty nice guns selling in some Euro gun shops that I wouldn't mind having imported but I think the cost saving is non-existent.

if it's not his intention to save $$$, does Perazzi in Italy do a better job of fitting a gun than Giacomo or Perazzi USA?

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I would contact bsaltd.com
    I bought two mx 8's from litt before he went out of business and saved 50%.
    He shipped them to bsaltd and they shipped them to a local dealer.
    Lucio sp?(perazzi usa) is a butt head and won't get a penny from me.
    If I have a issue with the gun/s, which I haven't so far they go to Allor for service.

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I know of six Litt's Perazzi guns whose owners saved 45%-60% which PISSED the USA Perazzi dealers at the time from whom they sought to get competitive prices....these guys would rather "buy in the USA" but, at the time, the Perazzi dealers would/could not remotely match the Litt's price.....

That was THEN.......Litt's went under,etc. HOWEVER, if one can now bring a Perazzi at a significant price break compared to a USA dealer: GO FOR IT!

Hopefully, some of the more OUTRAGEOUS USA Perazzi dealers will eventually start giving better deals to American customers.....

Don't buy in to the Perazzi USA self-serving dealer bull S@#%$!

12. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Gosh, I'd hate to call BS on Bangalore, but....BS. A 60% savings on a $10,000 gun equates to paying $4,000 for a new Perazzi from Litt's.

I bought from Litt's a couple of times, before he went under, and the price was cheaper yes, but it wasn't HALF as much - and certainly not 40% as much - as from an American dealer.

And then there were the little hassles that sometimes occurred when dealing with Andrew. Or, the really big hassle that occurred at the end.

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Singleshot....Here is calling your BS....well, BS....

Andrew sold many Perazzis 40-60% off retail....if you paid more, maybe you need to do your HOMEWORK! Tell me about the two Perazzis you bought from Andrew....or, is that BS!

By the way, tell me of a Perazzi USA dealer who will match Euro Perazzi prices....

I am sure many on this website would like to know!

14. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I saved a little, buying an MX-8 from Andrew back in about 2004. Maybe 2k.

And he dragged the transaction out about 14 months. It wasn't long after that the Ponzi Scheme was unravelled. So, that's what it was,... if I understand correctly.... not a "deal" as much as a typical "Bernie Madoff" type Ponzi scheme, and many people got hurt when the music stopped.

Litt always required full payment in advance. And there weren't any guns for many buyers who paid up front at the end. I just missed getting my head cut off by inches. Buying new guns is not for me anymore. I have found what I want and need buying used from people I get to know and trust.

15. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

I bought a little earlier than Sportshot, and saved a little less, but it was definitely worth doing. Even if one transaction went back and forth for 8 to 10 months before Andrew got it completely "right".

Bangalore - this is your chance to get rich. Move to Italy, buy all those Perazzis for, what - 80% off list, and then sell them over here for 60% off list. You'll double your money on every gun and everybody will be happy.

Maybe Lucio can work for you over here as your agent. Maybe you can even buy Daniele out, and then you can dazzle the shotgun world with your own brand of voodoo economics, as it applies to manufacturers, wholesalers, and retail dealers. Once those American dealers are buying from you, you can limit their markup to a flat $100 per gun, so no customers are getting gouged!

I noticed that you didn't mention getting any great deals yourself from Andrew. And you sure seem to get worked up about American Perazzi dealers. Maybe if you had gone directly to Daniele originally - when you found that you couldn't afford a Perazzi - and told him that you needed to cut Litt out of the picture, he might have been able to sell you something in your price range. What was Walmart selling Stoegers for back then?

16. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Sportshot, Yikes. You were lucky. The Ponzi scheme did hurt one guy I know. He had ordered the Digweed "Special" MX 2000S and got burned as I recall.....We were lucky, we "got in" before, around 2002...at the time, a group of us ordered four: three MX 8s and one MX 12....we paid about $4400 each when everything was said and done.....

Singleshot, Sounds like you are schilling for Perazzi dealers. You must be the pizza delivery man for the store. Try this: Contact your local Perazzi USA dealer and offer them a reasonable "profit" say $500 over dealer cost...meaning dealer invoice plus $500...see if there are any takers....

There is"reasonable profit"...."profit" and "charge as much as the idiots are willing to pay profit"........sounds like you want people to fall in the latter category......

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Perazzi's USA dealers are not the issue. Perazzi USA (in CA) imports the guns from Italy, then adds $2,000 before it sells them to it's US dealers.

If you are going to Italy, by all means stop in at the Perazzi factory and have your gun fitted to you. Even with the high current exchange rate, you will end up with a custom fitted gun for less money that you will spend for an off the rack gun in the US. And, you'll get to see the factory. Call ahead to set things up and to find out what you have to do. I'm told you can arrange for Perazzi to ship it to your FFL in the USA. You still have to get your VAT exemption stamped at the airport before leaving.

18. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I hate to say this....but, it is true....Perazzi USA reeks of the Eurocentric bias against Americans, e.g., Americans are idiots with too much money and too little common sense....send the substandard wood guns to America and overcharge them.....Americans will buy anything we send them ...they are too stupid to know the difference....

Perhaps if we stood together as shooters and bought American-made guns, the arrogant attitude would change....

"If you allow people to treat you as an a-hole, they will keep doing it."

19. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

THe exchange rate is changing! The Euro is now under $1.19 it should drop even more with Greece going in the toilet! THis summer may be the optimum time to buy in Europe!

20. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

If anything, that will make Perazzi raise the price of their guns, not lower, to maintain parity with the dollar. How can you expect them to absorb the inflation loss? They won't. $12,000 to $15,000 USD Perazzi's are the future. Expect China to start the knock-off's any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
buying a perazzi
buying perazzi shotguns from italy
perazzi 2015 price list us dollars
perazzi dealers in usa
perazzi italy
perazzi usa
perazzi usa price list

perazzi usa store