1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy new or refinish old BT-99?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have a 1979 BT-99 and I like it alot. I shot my first 25 with it the other day. I got a good deal on it and was thinking of having Doug B do some refinish work on it. I was thinking of having it nickle plated and having the stock redone. My question is do I put the extra $700-800 into it or sell it and put toward a new sporting clays model. I really like the engraving on the older models and I think it would be cool to have a custom older BT-99 however I realize I would never get back close to what I put into it. I'm afraid that a new BT-99 won't be the smoker that my current one is.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Send it to Doug!

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Stay w/old its twice the gun. MHO

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Be nice to the gun and it will be nice to you. HMB

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

a nice reblue and stock refinish will be quite a bit less than 800

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you feel and shoot a newer model, you'll understand why the older models get rebuilt time after time.

Send your baby in for a face lift and tune-up while the weather is cold.

ss

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Who is Doug B? I'd like to get my wife's old-school BT redone.

Guy Babin

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Doug Braker.

ss

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

There is a really good chance that I can put the metal back into looking like it just came out of the factory!

If there is pitting around any engraving that lessons the chance, but I will still a very good job!

AL Lingham

IMHO one of the best in the rebluing buisness!

10. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

CC,

From the tone of your post, I think you know the answer to your question. Regarding nickel plating... unless done in super dull finish, glare could be a problem under a strong sun. Made that mistake awhile back. Wish you the best in jazzing up your old partner. Would like to see a pre and post picture.

Chichay

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You shot your first 25 with it, and your thinking about refinishing or getting rid of it??? Keep it the way it is, shoot it until it needs some work done to it, then send it in to be rebuilt and refinished. Remember the old saying, if it ain't broke-don't fix it. JMO. Wayne

12. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

sell it to me & buy you a new one.

Showdawg

13. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I agree with the dont fix it if it isn't broken but I really am impressed by a sharp looking gun. Overall the bluing is about 90% and the wood is around 85 to 90% It doesn't need really any work but I think it would be nice to have something different It is a 79 BT-99 with IM fixed choke. Competition forearm. it shoots great and would like to put another 50,000 rounds through it and pass it to my son some day. I agree the older ones are much nicer that's why I want to restore it. I'd really like to change the stock color from the light brown to something more pronounced. But he only does the refinish. I might have him just do it. I figure if I put 600-700 into it it will be better than new.

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Don't have it plated unless you want to sell it on the streets. Have it restored to its' natural state and be proud of it. It is your gun and you can do what you want but it reminds of a time back in the seventies. I was shooting with a squad of Canucks, three brothers and their father. The three brothers had gone together and purchased a Ljutic for the father. They had it chrome plated or what ever and a gold plated trigger made up.

The father was very proud of the present and took it over to Al Ljutics motor home to show it to him. Al looked at the gun and shook his head. "I spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours perfecting a gun and you screwed it up doing this to it." he said, and walked away. Post-2

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Make it original. If the wood is bad, refinish it or get it done. If the metal needs help, do it.

If you don't like the way it shoots, buy another gun.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

early bt99 with nickel plating