1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy it now!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If there is anything you need or will need in the foreseeable future, buy it now. I was at two local gun shops yesterday and learned that the eight-month backlog of orders to manufacturers has grown to - get ready - FOUR YEARS!

Distributors are refusing to take dealer orders for Smith & Wesson products as well as for most other firearm brands. One large wholesale distributor who usually gets Hodgdon powders by the overseas container-full direct from Australia received a half-filled container and that barely covered his back-orders. Try to buy CCI MiniMag 22LR ammo - the big dealers like MidwayUSA, Brownell's and Sinclair are out of stock and won't accept back-orders. I found 1,400 rounds at those two local shops and bought it all. Primers of all kinds are on the endangered species list. Simply put, these places have no idea when they will receive more inventory.

I was in the hunting department at the Harrisburg, PA Bass Pro Shop earlier this week and their shelves have more bare spots than I've ever seen. The hunting department manager is a friend of mine and told me that he can get very few shooting-related items. The Cabela's In Hamburg, PA told me that they are selling out of all ammo and have none inbound.

While I was in one of those local shops last evening, a lady and her son came in. The son received an AR-15 for Christmas but can't find ammo for it. This shop had some and she bought all of it - $284 worth - and told him she would take all of the order he expects to receive on Tuesday.

Speaking of ARs, the first shop I was at has their last new one priced at $1,495 - I don't know if that's good or not but thought I would throw it out there.

You know what's coming next - layoffs at gun shops and places like BPS and Cabela's. They can't sell what they don't have and don't need employees if there's nothing to sell.

Hopefully, this shortage will be temporary but I'm not taking any chances. While I was working 60 and 70 hours each week, I told myself that I would be able to go to the gun clubs to which I belong as much as I wanted when I retired. I'm starting to see a flaw in that plan...

Ed

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Smells like conspiracy to me. Whats the reason companies can't ship. Materials are still at hand. Bill

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

While I don't doubt that things will be tight for a while because of the moronic hoarders of the world, I also know that the information gotten from chain store department managers etc. is more often a source of worry and speculation than of information.

While they really believe what they say, it's usually the end product of a long trip down a chain of misinformed hearsay, misinterpretation, assumption, exaggeration and fabrication. This is another one of those times when having no intel is better than having bad intel. But... believe whatever makes you happy.

Keller

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

And it's much worse here in NYS right now Ed.

Jon Reitz

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Vern,

I think most of the manufactures are at full throttle right now. I spoke with an employee of one gun manufacture and he said they pulled 3/4 of their office crew and split them up in manufacturing and shipping postions. Of course this is one companies situation of many. However, if the truth be known I bet most gun and ammo makers are doing all they can to make the dollar while its there. I look for it to be much longer than a few months. I think it could take years to come back from this frenzy. Mostly my opinion though.

6. grntitan

I hope I'm wrong Vern. I'd be more than happy to admit I was especially in this situation.

7. 548

548 Guest

What follows the feast? Relax, prices will drop like a rock when the famine hits.

8. senorric

senorric Member

Come on, when have you seen prices fall for anything once they've gone up for a period of time? Wishful thinking! Raw material and labor costs aren't going to fall but rise even more, especially once our economy and further demand starts clicking again.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It's a pretty simple concept really. Manufacturers of ammo, components, firearms, etc. don't just wave a magic wand and make their product. There are processes and special equipment used to make all these products, which take time. 3 months ago, they couldn't have seen this frenzy of mass hoarding coming and were running just like they always do this time of year. Suddenly, they're flooded with orders, which empties any warehouse stock they have and kicks everything into high gear. They still can only make barrels so fast, mold wads so fast, or run the press so fast...

As far as prices go, it seems like it was just a year or two ago that I started seeing prices for primers finally coming back down after the last election. My guess is it will be at least a year before everything starts dropping again, even if none of the "gun control" legislation is passed.

I too, hope I am wrong...

Josh

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

I would bet there is more supply at the wholesalers than one would think. These guys are sitting on inventory and slowly releasing it with inflated prices so they can make some profit too- rather than leaving it all for the small dealer. The NICS lines are horrible to get through on as of late, at least here in PA. They have to be selling something.

Ammo and component wise, I think there is a bit of a rough road ahead for awhile.

11. grntitan

I get a lot of my supplies and even some guns from Zander's(which located literally blocks from my house) a major player in the wholesale market here in the Midwest. They do not have anything. Literally nothing. When the large wholesale gun, ammo, components suppliers like Zander's are struggling to get supplies it says a lot. They are not sitting on anything.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Didn't we go through this same thing when Obummer was elected for his first term. I remember trying to buy Varget and Clays. Everyone was out for months. Then after about 8 months everything was back to normal, at least for components.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Didn't we go through this same thing when Obummer was elected for his first term."<blockquote>YUP!!</blockquote></I></blockquote>

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I stopped in at a Cabela's store here in Nebraska earlier this week to buy some .22 shells. Not a box on the shelves. Went up to Wal-mart and bought 800 rounds of CCI Mini Mags.

Steve

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Got back from Wal*Mart at 3:00 p.m. Friday, 1-18-13 and no .22 shells except a couple of packages of .22 birdshot and a few boxes of .22 shorts. No .223, 7.62 x 39, 9mm, 45 acp. One box of .40 left. I talked to the Dept. Mgr. and he said that it was an issue with their supplier and people buying it off the shelves. I told him that I hope they are not surrendering to the politicians on selling ammo. He assured me they were not. All I know this really sucks. BT100dc

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I spoke with one of the coating companies this afternoon and they told me they were running a thousand AR bbls a week and are ramping up to do close to 5 thousand a week.

They said the barrels are coming faster than the lowers and uppers. They told me that the manufacturers are running at max capacity.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

And you think a Wally world employee is going to know that? I would hope one is smart enough not to take that to the bank.

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The store where I recently retired had plenty of ammo today. The cabinets were full. Mostly Rem brand. I saw 20 cartons of ten one hundred round containers on the shelf. Not many 38's but plenty of 357. Didn't look at the 223 ammo but they had sold all AR's they had. Jackie B.

19. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Its all being driven by #1 and #2 ! Think about it everyone that LOVESS uns is scared $hitless ! Im waiting till thing die down that AR you buy today for inflated prices maybe worth less if there isnt a ban and will Congress pass one i doubt it Obamie better think twice 1

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

While waiting out the shortages and the impending restrictive legal tangles, I decided to take up another sport which emphasizes marksmanship, good hand/eye coordination, and moderate physical effort without major equipment needs and no weather concerns: going to join a bowling league. Just sayin' Think about it. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.