1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

buy in texas can I

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Can I buy a rifle or shotgun or a pistol in texas? My home is in iowa. I have a ccl. Andd aa copy of my dealers ffl. So what do you think? Mike t

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Most likely a pistol have to be shipped to your dealer. Long guns might be able to take then I am not for sure. The dealer u buy from here in Texas will surely let you know quickly what you can do. So are you here in Texas now??????

3. windsurferlawman

windsurferlawman Member

no handguns can be bought over state lines without huge headache unless private sale

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

In most cases FFLs can sell long guns to any legal U.S. Citizen who can posses one and pass a background check,but, handguns must be shipped to an FFL in you state. There Are exceptions and now most dealers I know won't sell "any" gun to an Ill. resident unless they produce an Ill. firearms card. There may be local and state laws that are more strict than federal law but the local FFLs should know the skinny.

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

1. You can buy and take possession of a long gun from a FFL in Texas provided the transaction complies with laws in both TX and IA.

2. You can purchase a handgun from a dealer in TX only if the TX FFL ships to your FFL in IA and the transaction is completed in IA.

3. You can purchase a longgun or handgun from an unlicensed individual in TX only if the seller ships the gun to your FFL in IA and the transaction is completed in IA.

4. Things change a bit if you maintain a home and reside in both TX and IA for certain periods of the year. You may purchase a longgun or handgun in TX during the time you actually reside in TX.

See the ATF Website(link above):

6. 1964_Superposed

1964_Superposed TS Member

I live in Texas and another state so have a Texas ID card which allows me the same purchasing ability as a Texas resident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.