1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy A Gun That Fits -- Or Not

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ray Courney, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Courney

Ray Courney TS Member

About a year ago when I started trapshooting a good friend from Arizona suggest I get a gun the fits rather than just rushing to buy one. Of course I did not follow this and went out and bought a Browning Cynergy Classic Sport - 30 inch. After a year of having fun, breaking some birds (my high is 22) it was time to try and improve. By watching videos, reading and talking to shooters at the club that know what they are doing I have discovered my gun does not fit me. Now what?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can have an adjustable comb and butt plate installed so you can make the necessary adjustments. HMB

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

No Matter how well a gun seems to fit how do you not until you have shot it a few hundred rounds with it will you no for sure.

SOme people swear by the perfect fit stocks because they can change as they do.

Some swear at those same stocks because they can change when ever the wild hair twitchs!

Al Lingham

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You weren't specific about how the gun fit is wrong. An adjustable comb and butt pad will help if those are the only problems. HOW the comb and pad adjust are also important.

A pad may need to adjust up-down, side-to-side and rotate.

The comb will, of course, need to adjust up-down and sideways but depending on the current shape of the stock it may also need to be tilted front to back to bring the top of the comb at least parallel with the bore of the barrel.

Most shooters find better success using a stock that allows them to keep their heads as upright as possible. Having to bend the neck down to get the head on the stock can become uncomfortable and increases the likelihood that the shooter will at least occasionally left their cheek from the stock during a shot causing a miss. Depending the gun and the shooter, it may be necessary to raise both the comb and the rib to allow the head to be more upright during the gun mount.

Depending on your physical size, a 30" barrel is not the preferred length for trap shooting as the 32" and 34" barrels offer better stability and less critical pointing.

MK

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

first of all- you need to understand-POI (point of impact)you mention"sport" cynergy-- not "trap" cynergy. there is a reason they make 2 differant models!! along with rib height.--i see this common problem at my club-a guy peaks his scores at 22 and i ask , do you feel like you have to take the barrel to the rock to smoke it--- usually the answer is yes or dont know!!! if the poi is right and you are looking down the barrel, it will feel "easy" breaking rocks- otherwise its a struggle.--frank hoppe says 90% of misses in trap are under the target. sport guns shoot 50-60% poi ---trap 60-70% poi to start with beads stacked!!!--you have to be a pretty good shooter to shoot 25 straights over and over with a sport gun ---PS: have someone at the end of the barrel-aim the beads back into your eye/pupil, beads shud be in line and right at the bottom of your pupil--

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

acss nails this one. If you want further success it's time to upgrade to a real Trap gun. Your Sporting Clays gun is now shooting far too flat and straightaways are now becoming an issue. Trade it in on a BT-99 or XT-Trap-whatever you can afford!!

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

most bt 99 still shoot to flat.

8. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I just started shooting trap in May of this year with a Beretta 686 field gun. I’ve shot five 25 straights, one 50 straight with a high of 98 in singles. It has been a struggle with the gun, but why knock success?
    Well I gave up on improving and just purchased a XT trap because it fits me very well and I hope to avoid having to cover the bird with every shot. The Beretta will still be my double’s gun and occasional skeet-sporting clays gun.
    I would have argued the need for a trap gun prior to last week, now I accept the fact I can only go so far with the field gun. You only live once, so why not own a gun suited for the sport we love?

Domenic

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Can you get out to a bigger shoot, the the Grand, or San Antonio, or some bigger state shoots? If you go to a shoot big enough for vendors to attend also, you will be able to find to a stock fitter. Let him measure you up and see what you actually need. I am pretty broad shouldered, and a few degree adjustment on the cast of my stock made a big difference for me. Good Luck

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ray, in what way doesn't your stock fit? And how do you (now) know? Without knowing that, we don't have much to go on. It's possible, after all, that while you did not take good advice at the start (really, you couldn't, could you, since you didn't know what it even meant) you are now taking bad advice. There's plenty out there, and even in here.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.