1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buttstock Grip with Finger Grooves...Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by checker, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checker

checker Member

Anybody shoot a trap gun with finger grooves on the grip? Pro Con
    Here is a P-Gun stock by D. DeVault. Worth it functionally or just eye candy??
    [​IMG]

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I would think that a set of finger grooves that are on a fitted to you stock would guarantee the same hand position and trigger finger alignment for the most important hand every time. That is a very good thing. Plain ole finger grooves will do the same IF they fit your hand and your position will be the same there as well also a very good thing. If they don't fit or cause a bad hand position I would think that they would be worse than a plain pistol grip. JMHO

--- Chip King ---

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I would love to shoot a gun with this feature....and if I liked it I'd restock another Ljutic with grooves...whatever works....

4. steele

steele TS Member

I had a stock like this done by Devault. It is amazing these didn't come out years ago. I found I kept grabbing too high on the grip, putting strain on my wrist. This brings your hand/wrist in a straight line with the stock. Aids in recoil reduction & fatigue.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The angle of the grip with finger placements the same every time is better for controlling your shotgun. Much better for both pull or release triggers in my opinion!

Hap

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I didn't like them on my one gun and had them removed. Tried them again when I could place them myself and now I like them alot. They have to be right or you'll be paying attention to them all the time. Bondo and a file is how I did it. I even put in a vertical groove for my finger tips since I can't make a real pistol grip I can get my hand around. The thumb hole would go right where the stock bolt comes back. Could make the stock bolt a 'stubby', but I don't have the woodworking tools to make it all happen. Notice I carried the concept of finger grooves up to the top for the thumb as well. this includes the pad of the thumb. Why not make it feel like a glove? Why not give yourself that added measure of control on the grip?

Joe

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="288" height="192" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fjoemkuhn%2Falbumid%2F5455900457838844705%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Holy jeepers Joe, that was a pretty piece of wood for a 3200.(LOL) I agree with you in doing what you have to do to make it fit. Dennis and crew puts out some gorgeous work. Bob

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Dennis and crew do phenominal work. They are real technicians. I especially like how they listen to the customer and often say, "Thank you for the opportunity to serve." And they mean it. Where else do you hear that? Maybe in 5 or fewer shops in America. Dennis listened to me and morphed my ideas into something more practical. Besides, they're nice people. Just wish I lived closer. I's sweep the floor there for free for the exposure & learning.

Wood has become secondary to me. Fit is way more important. The stock popped a crack at the top from a butt pad screw. You can't see it but it moved me towards starting with this stock in a self fitting. It doesn't get much more fun than this, so I want to be encouraging to other folks about trying stuff.

Finger grooves improve your control over the gun when you move to the target.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm on the same page as Joe.. Pretty wood is great..but my shotgun is a hammer.. no more.. no less.. It's the tool we use in the sport we love.. If it doesn't fit correctly..it's useless.. It's all about the fit.. A shooter will spend countless money on a new gun to "buy" an extra target.. but talk about cutting a stock.. Nope.. they'll have none of that.
    I remember at SLGC..a fellow shooter and friend needed a TMX stock fitted.. I brought out my rasps,planes,and belt sander.. In a little less than 2 hours..it fit him perfectly...In a few more hours..it was refinished to where you could never see it had been cut on...
    Another shooter had a similar problem with a Silver Seitz.. BEAUTIFUL wood..When everyone suggested to him I help fit his stock..he refused to continue shooting..We rarely ever saw him again.. I think he felt stupid buying a gun for $12,000 that was vastly not even close to what he required.. His old MX-8 fit him perfectly..but after spending the money.. and showing off his art work..how could he go back..???

Finger grooves MUST fit your hand.. and Joe is 100% right about the Bondo..or epoxy putty.. It really helps control the stock.. and when you need a mid course correction of the barrel to the target.. I find it's a great help..

Dennis does fantastic stock work.. He's not only a great shooter.. but a man I'm proud to call my friend.. He fully understands what shooters require in a stock.. His work is well thought out.. and flawless..

Like everything else..finger grooves are not for everyone..It's a love,hate thing.. I have a small hand.. and found I can't use it in a sport that starts from a low gun position.. BUT.. from a premounted start.. it's excellent..

All Good.. Mike

10. checker

checker Member

Thanks for imput.....going to use finger groves on a new SBT stock.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.