1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butt plate adjustment ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunjoej, Sep 15, 2013.

1. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I have a adjustable recoil pad and would like help solving a problem I'm having canting my barrel. I"m a right handed shooter and if my right elbow moves down from parallel just the slightest my barrel cants and I miss the target.

Which way should I twist the pad to stop this from happening? Down and to the right or down and to the left? I try to keep my right elbow parallel to the ground but it doesn't always stay that way. Does twisting the recoil pad help solve this problem? The current pad is pretty much straight with the stock. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Joe

2. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

down left, then shoot !

3. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Fix your stance, that is what causes me to cant my gun. If I am not on my front foot I seem to drop my elbow for comfort, maybe, not real sure.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe,

A slight barrel cant will not cause you to miss targets. Something else is happening. Something is causing your eye to become misaligned with the rib without your knowledge.It could be your gun mount or a poorly fitting stock dimension (or two).

First, assuming you shoot right-handed, when you drop your elbow and your gun cants, the it rotates clockwise when viewed from the butt - right?

Second: As you slowly mount your gun and bring it back to your shoulder with the barrel raised to normal shooting height, how does the recoil pad make contact with your shoulder? Does the top or the bottom of the recoil pad make contact first? By how much?

That the check for the correct pitch on the stock. (Pitch is the angle formed by the recoil pad and the rib.) The whole recoil pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

With the answers we should be able to figure out what is happening.

Rollin

6. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Move the pad down until you cheek the gun with the heel of the pad on the top of your shoulder. Point the toe of the pad to the right as you look down the gun from the butt (toe out). Play with it until you mount the gun to your face and back into your shoulder the same every time. Keep your right elbow at about a 45 degree angle to the ground and that should solve your problem with the assumption that you are not shooting too long a length of pull. Good luck.

Search tags for this page

a adjustable butt plate for slight cant

adjusting butt plate