1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler XX12 update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Butler Founder, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butler Founder

Butler Founder TS Member

My name is Larry Butler – I’m the founder of Butler Arms and on occasion I’ve been reading this blog. We’re now at a point that I thought I’d chime in and answer some of the questions posted here.

First of all we will begin delivery the first production XX12s will ship on December 12, 2012. We wanted it right before shipping and you’ll see it was worth the wait. Personally I’ve been working on this for 12 years and I’m very excited about what we’ve been able to do in the past year. We’ve had hundreds of people shoot thousands of rounds and everyone who’s shot this gun loves it. I’ve put a good portion of my life into this project and I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished.

It would be impossible for me to address everything that’s been brought up on this site, but I will check back in every few days with updates on progress. The marketing team just put up a new web site that really tells the XX12 story – I would encourage you to check in there from time to time. Speaking of progress, some of you will be excited to know that we’re well underway with our new XX12 Field gun. We’ll be introducing this at SHOT Show in January!

Thanks for all of your support –I hope you get a chance to shoot the XX12 real soon. I’d love to hear about your experience.

Larry

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Thank you, Larry. Would you please share with us the web address of the new website so we may keep abreast of your progress.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. white rattler

white rattler Member

Larry, as one Canadian to another I wish you all the best. Trevor Dawe.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That's a lot of 12s, Larry!

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Well Done!

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry, for appeasing the public, that old thread was wearing me down, getting very old. We hope you find success. Scott

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I shot this in Las Vegas and was very impressed; hopefully, the price will remain reasonable.

I like others am looking forward to getting these into the hands of shooters.

Dave

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Larry:

In your future posts, I would like to know why your semi-auto
    is superior to the FabArms XLR5. Both seem to be pretty much
    state-of-the-art in semi-auto's but the price difference is
    substantial.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Not to pile on, but I am with sky buster in wanting some info on the specific differences that make the Butler so unique.

Curious on more details on what makes the XX12 special and if that is where the value is derived from?

I did have the pleasure of shooting a demo gun in Reno in mid May this year, and it is smooth, super light recoil and crushes the target.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Except for a new projected delivery date, I didn't hear anything new.

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Barfin, I shot it and that is an obvious feature. The way you load on the side is unique palming the shell in, CNC machined I believe, adjustable very high rib with the usual larger bore/long cone barrel that is an unsingle basically. Wood at least on the pre-production model was average at best. Trigger was very good as I recall.

As was thrown out earlier, the new XLR5 is a pretty nice looking semi auto, and the price won't break the bank. Somewhere south of 1/3 the cost.

That said, I have committed worst behavior than buy an expensive semi-auto, just trying in my mind to see where the money is at in the XX12 unit? It might well be it is all in the design/testing/developing and it is needed to recoup the investment?

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

It seems one of the standout features setting Butler apart from other automatics is the low axis barrel similar to unguns. As proven, low axis barrels produce lower felt recoil aiding comfort while providing greater gun control. Low axis barrels also provide a target view that is less obstructed than conventional barrels mounted high in the receiver, these features coupled with a world class trigger seems to appeal to those shooters who have shot the gun and are considering a purchase.

I have shot the Fabarms and really like it. My girlfriend has given me a choice between a Fabarms or a Ljutic space Gun for my upcoming 70th Birthday, I'm in a quandary..............

Surfer

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you want a low axis barrel, put a 1" rib on a 391 and have a custom stock made to match, same net effect.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Is a release trigger available from the factory?

And can a shell catcher be used?

Hauxfan!

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't know about the trigger but the shell catcher is available now at
    Home Depot. It's a bucket.

16. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I can't speak to the release trigger as I don't use one, but in a gun in this price range it would only seem logical that will be a choice.

Shell catcher is finished I was told recently by Jason. It will catch singles and doubles from what I was told. Being a reloader, the catcher was important to me after shooting the gun in Reno.

17. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

At $7500 I think there is a good market for the Butler.

I hope that price point can be met.

Dave

18. remtrap

remtrap Member

They had a release at the Grand, nice feel. But what I did not care for was how to unset the release. You have to hold on to the trigger, reach up with your other hand, turn and rotate out the slide handle to the outward position and pull it back. I personally do not care for a release on an autoloader. very impressed with the gun though.

Tom Furst

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hey! do all you guy's drive Chevy's ?? I think not, frankly I wouldn't own one, but that's my choice to spend my money elsewhere. I don't waste my time trashing someone's purchase and nit picking it apart just because I don't care for the brand and you shouldn't either given the fact most of haven't seen or held a Butler much less shot one.

The jury's still out for Butler and its wait and see what a production model will bring to the shotgun community.

Skeetman, I had a 391 with a high rib and a soft touch, it did shoot soft but not as soft as Fabarms and I'm told the Butler shoots softer than it.

Surfer

20. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Having to pull the bolt back to unset the release is what alot of us have been doing for years with the Beretta's. I think the gun will fill a void in high quality firearms. Remember you can't expect it to meet everyones needs; as no one can.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

larry butler xx12