1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler Service

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by viperrt, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viperrt

viperrt Member

Wow, unbelievable service from Butler Arms!! I started a thread earlier this week sharing a problem with my new Butler regarding it firing upon bolt closing.

The staff (two employees) at Butler were awesome. I used UPS next day air on Mon afternoon, recieved by Butler on Tues late morning, and Wed UPS is at my front door with my trigger. I know we have several manufacturers who provide exceptional service, but don't know of any that can top Butler.

Bill

2. firstmt

firstmt TS Member

Viperrt-

Heard just recently that Butler went out of business, shot their complete operation done. Any truth to that??

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I had been in contact with Jason who was a rep for them and a darn good shooter. He indicated to me two weeks ago that the business was being shut down. I could not nail down a reason, other than the suspicion that the investors were less than thrilled with the results.

I think the XX12 is an awesome shooting gun, but the price point is no doubt the sticking point. If they could get it out the door profitably under 5K, they would have a home run, but at $8100 I suspect the market is mighty slim, which was the last price I heard. They were $7500 when I first shot one last year in Reno at the GWG.

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

They still answer their phone.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Here we go again. The guys who don't own one know all about them.

6. viperrt

viperrt Member

Well if they are out of business nobody told the two employees I spoke with today. Yesterday I called one of their dealers (nothing to do with Butler) and mentioned they weren't showing any for sale. He said they can't get enough of them to meet the demand. Anybody know of any new guns for sale?

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Did Butler pay the freight charges?

8. viperrt

viperrt Member

Skybuster, here's the facts of life. I bought Silver Seitz OU #007. First it doubled, then the solder that held the two barrels together via the hanger separated. All in all I sent the barrells/gun back to AIM at least 3 different times. Guess what they never paid for my shipping. Richie did send me a flat of STS shells that they had made for them.

However, when I talked to the Butler folks this afternoon they offered for me to use their UPS account number.

I bought SS OU #007 and now Butler #0014, why would anyone expect that any first generation gun would not suffer from some issues. The Butler is far more advanced than the SS OU.

Bill

9. viperrt

viperrt Member

I called Butler this morning and spoke with the guy who fixed my slam firing problem. I asked if he was a trapshooters.com guy and he said only occasionally. I told him that a couple of posters were advising the Butler was out of business. He said that Larry had parted company with the investor group and was returning to Montana where he will hopefully regroup and move forward.

Jason's departure was probably a pretty good clue that the fat lady was singing. As a Butler owner I hope Larry can continue, I feel it is a very good design and contains well made parts.

For those that feel it is too expensive, it costs far less than the Kolar combo that is in my safe, or the Ljutic's that occupy space also, and it will allow me to shoot all three disciplines.

Bill

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Butler's business plan was very flawed. A mgt company said they would expect to sell 100 guns/month. This is pie in the sky. Perazzi only allocates about 600 guns for the U.S. while Krieghoff only allocates 400 guns a year.

Phil Berkowitz

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Phil,
    I disagree with your assessment. I don't believe that was ever a business plan. It was only more of the rhetoric that we were being fed for the past year.
    I'm sorry this has happened but it wasn't hard to see it coming. All the signs were there.

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

After reading this post today at 2:59 eastern time I wanted to find out information about the gun first hand. SO I picked up the phone and called the number on the web site. Wow got an automated message and told me to dial by name. I pressed zero and got the message again. NO ANSWER. Are they still in business?? No body there??? I wonder myself what is happening and a little afraid to spend money for one if they are out of business. Anybody with more information. motordoc

I think they also changed their web site ????

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I hate to see this. But in all fairness, when I first read about these guns, I wondered how many people would pay that kind of money for an autoloader. It might not be "just an autoloader" just like the DT-10/11 is not "just a Beretta" but look at the sales numbers for those guns - and they are combos, not "just an autoloader." From the value perspective, the Butler unfortunately comes up short.

Please understand, I mean nothing derogatory toward the guns or their owners, who should be proud to be able to afford to own one.

Ed

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Uh Oh ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Mr. Butler has a dream. I'm hoping he overcomes this too.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Maybe Bob Schultz could jump in here. He was the one advising, on here, that he was a dealer for the gun. He should know if they are up and running.

Don

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So did Tucker, and DeLorian.

18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

So did Ford and Browning.

A Tucker:

48-Tucker_Front-700-x-4651.jpg

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Phil, where did you get that eroneous figure of only 400 guns from Krieghoff for the USA? You're way low. We used to import around 1,200/yr. in the early 80's. Around 400 Trap guns maybe but the Sporting and Skeet market is huge!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.