1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler Arms Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave-320c, Jul 20, 2013.

1. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any information as to the future of Butler Arms?

Can we special order from Larry Butler?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don't send them a dime until the 70 or so people who placed orders can verify they got their deposits back,
    If Butler goes bankrupct, kiss your deposits good bye

Phil Berkowitz

3. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

any info as if they will be at the grand.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that they closed their doors as in threw in the towel?

5. dave-320c

I know they lost their investors and moved back to Montana?

I want to know if Larry Butler is selling any special orders, say a skeet model (tutu optional).

Also parts and repairs availability.

Thanks in advance

Dave

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There has been too much put into this design for it to completely go away. Perhaps someone will be able to pick it up and start it up again. I think the biggest attraction to the gun is it's potential as a Handicap gun. Regardless of the tout that it is a great doubles gun, it's still an autoloader with autoloading problems.

7. dave-320c

It is a great design because perceived recoil is pretty much eliminated.

I have shot my best doubles with it, and a good handicap. Just need to train it to shoot singles.

I am thinking sometime in the future that a skeet model would also be an ideal shooter because it stays on target so well; no muzzle jump and good dynamics.

Dave

8. high 2

high 2 Member

I never got the chance to try one. I'm one of those guys that played too hard as a kid. I've had problems with both shoulders and getting ready to have the right one gone through again. The Butler sounded like it was made for people like me. Did any guns get delivered? I hope someone picks it up and can make it profitable with a reasonable price. Larry

9. viperrt

viperrt Member

Dave, sorry to jump in, but high 2's post needs to be addressed. Shooters regularly spend $10 to $15 thousand for a combo gun from Perazzi, Kolar, Krieghoff, etc. So why is spending $8 thousand for a purpose built clay target gun which will allow you to shoot all three disciplines not reasonable? As pride engineer posted long ago, it is a well designed gun, the fact that it is an auto is immaterial.

Dave, last I heard it's still a legal hassle with an unknown outcome. I do believe it will take a new fairy god mother to step up if production is to resume. My Butler is in the safe for the time being.

Bill

10. dave-320c

Bill

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Dave

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

viperrt. Are you shooting you gun at all?? any trouble with yours??? I had one friend that bought on and after two days it did not cycle shells. he sent it back and DID get his money back., Do you know of any others out therr. I think bob schultz had one or two but not sure if he owned them or sent them back as loaners///

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Things must be in the tank. They are selling their 2011 Cessna citation mustang jet. Asking price $2,200,000. Of course it will have to be repainted. Maybe all those deposits were going for other things than manufacturing.

Don

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I shot a doubles event at the Southern Grand where the Butler Rep. was using his gun. Second shot jammed on him a few times, mis fire called, and he lost targets. I though to myself "that's one hell of a commercial"! Enough said. I'd never buy one.

blade819

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

viperrt... IF the gun was as good as they advertised it, IF the gun were as dependable as they advertised it, IF the gun was available, and delivered on time, as they advertised it, IF they were as honest and straight forward as they should have been, and IF they gun was everything they advertised it as being, then, and only then, would the gun be worth even close to the money they were asking. The reality here is that none of the above were true. Add this to the fact that trapshooting is a dying sport where high dollar trap guns are not in that high of demand, you have a receipe for failure. Butler did not put enough research into the longevity of trapshooting, as it is going today, to justify investing the money they did in their gun. The demand for an autoloader like this just isn't there, and never has been. They would have to sell a tremendous amount of these guns to recoup their money, and with all the Remington 1100's, Beretta autos, SX-1's, etc. available to those that shoot autoloaders at a fraction of the price, someone at Butler had delusions of grandor thinking this was going to be a successful venture..... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I saw one for sale in the last issue of T&F. I can't recall the vendor.

16. viperrt

viperrt Member

Trap2, one question, DO YOU OWN A BUTLER? The problems I had with my Butler, yes Dan I own one, were easy fixes and more like teething problems than design issues. As a long time friend of Larry Butler's reminds me, "all guns are mechanical and will break parts"! How many times have you witnessed Perazzi trigger springs breaking or ejector problems, Krieghoff issues are uncommon. My Kolar combo is pretty bullet proof but cost me $13,000.

My biggest problem with my XX12 was making sure to close the action at the time the trap machine was cycling so as not to set off the voice pull!

I have a question for you and any other TS.com member, did you or anyone you know loose their deposit money? Just curious as I neither know anyone who lost their deposit nor do I recall anyone posting they did.

As for pricing, look at Ljutic, Silver Seitz, and Alfermann. All low volume production. Big difference they have ownership that can afford to produce their guns. If Butler were to survice it would most likely need this type of ownership and as you said, "Just my opinion". Bill

17. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

While I shoot mostly single barrel guns, or combo's, I do love a good auto loader. I shot the Butler in Reno two years ago, but was not convinced the company could deliver the goods.

I did like the gun a great deal. Little to no recoil, cool loading although you need to toughen up the palm of your hand. It handled light to heavy loads with ease. Pointed well I thought, not that I am any expert.

If someone picks up the torch and moves forward, and could bring the gun in at around 5K, I think they would have a home run. Trap admittedly is not a growing sport, but Sporting Clays seems alive and well, and I suspect a great many of these guns were meant for other markets.

I hope someone has the resources to do that, as I would no doubt throw my hat in the ring for one. I came mighty close after shooting one, and really thought it was a terrific doubles gun.

18. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

Just finished reading a very good article in the July issue of Western Shooting. It tell the full story about the Butler gun and what happened to the company.If you can find a copy it is a good read and will explain everything. Bill

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Bill was that in Western Shooting Journal Mag.?

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

viperrt.... Enjoy your Butler. For what you paid for it, you'll have to. I'll continue to enjoy my Perazzi MX3 Special Combo. Cost me all of $5500... I have been shooting Perazzi's for many, many, years, and, to date, after close to 150,000 registered targets, and just as many practice targets, I have broken two leaf springs, and had the locking block changed twice for a total cost of $390.... Damn, these Perazzi's are really expensive to own... Get back to me when your Butler has 100,000 plus rounds through it and we will talk.... Dan Thome (Trap2)