1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler Arms new Butler XX12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

A $7500, two shot, automatic? Good luck with that one. Neat concept, but at that price point I don't think you'll find many buyers.

2. build4u

build4u Member

It will be very interesting if the recoil statements are true. If the lake of felt recoil comes with out muzzle rise as well it could be intersting for doubles,and sporting clays, or five stand. Two shots I would think is a non issue in a target gun. I did not see the wieght listed how did it feel?

3. jw oh

jw oh TS Supporters TS Supporters

Side loading...bottom ejection...a lot better looking than 'that' Browning...so far, so good.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is VERY interesting!

5. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Tron,

I can see you shooting this gun.. just a few adjustable combs and you got the 7500 to spend. Good luck this year in shooting.

Rick in MT

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Just to put in my 2 cents worth. I worked with Mr. Butler at the end of the design phase of this semi-auto and I can tell you that the technology that went into the design of this shotgun is first rate. It is so far ahead of any thing out now. There is nothing to compare it to. The gun is truely in a class by itself. The gas piston that is in the gun to control the recoil is great. When I had the opportunity to shoot the proto-type two years ago I shot 100 pair of doubles with all types of shells. We put in a once load and followed it up with a 3-1/2 dram hunting load and no difference in the felt recoil between the shells. Never did have a miss feed and overall it was a pleasure to shoot. The trigger system if it the same one that I shot in the proto type is great. It is crisp and positive and will rival the best over under shotgun trigger on the market. I wish Mr Butler all the best and I look forward to shooting a finished gun when I see him later this summer.

Dennis DeVault

7. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Really shares alot of it's looks and selling points mentioned with the browning recoiless. We all know what happened there!!! Lot's a luck. Tim

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mr Butler had a prototype at the Ben Avery shooting facility on more then one occasion, the gun is vertually recoiless ... Several people shot it and are interested in getting more information on them here in Phoenix ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Who was asking about the most technology in a trap gun? I believe we have a winner right here. I can't see anything about it that it shares with the old recoiless or any other auto. Looks to me to be a low barrel unsingle like auto.

Funny how $7500 is too much for an auto but is chicken feed for a simple break open single barrel.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with SBE, this new gun is so far ahead of other semi-autos in both design functionality and toughness, others pale in comparison!

As Dennis mentioned, the trigger mechanism on this gun is probably even better than a lot of O/Us we use in trap competitions! Larry sent me several pictures of his gun from the beginning, each proto type he's built. I promised him I wouldn't divulge any pictures or workings till he told me it was alright to show them.

These guns have been proof tested with high pressure loads and passed with flying colors! I'd love to have one fitted to me!! Competing with a semi-auto that recoils like a B-B gun would be the cats meow!!

Hap

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HAp,

Will you buy me one too? Come on old buddy old pal. :)

I'd love to test it and see how it helps with my aches and pains.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just imagine this gun with a DeVault high adjustable rib & a custom stock---would be totally awesome.

Phil Berkowitz

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Matt, yes I will!! Just as soon as my power ball investment portfolio comes through!! That, or when I receive my share of billions from that nice guy in Nigeria I won! I did win a dandy hillbilly lottery for a million bucks a while back! Pays a dollar a year for a million years??? :)

HAPpy Hap

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

635G,
    They come that way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

How does it manage to soak up the recoil so effectively?

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A real good picture would be nice! Also a description or pictures of the function would be a good sales tool.

A 2 shooter will work on all the shooting sports. Sporting, skeet, and trap.

17. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

I ,had a chance to shoot the proto type of the pictured gun.I liked the concept and yes there was very little felt recoil.I have competed with various customized 391's and this gun in relationship to my 391s has alot of features to offer.If you are going to shoot doubles the bottom eject is great.You dont have to worry about the shooter next to you taking offense.I wish the whole crew at Butler the best,If you get a chance to shoot this gun I think you will be very surprised.The trigger is very nice and very easy to remove.The proto I spent some time with had alot of rounds thru it,like about 1,000 and I was surprised at how clean it was.When I was shooting 391's they were not even close to being as clean as the Butler after half that many rounds.Also as a side note my dad who is 78 years old shot and excellent round of handicap with the proto Butler.George Miletich Jr.

ridg301 thanked this.
  18. joe kuhn

I would agree on the pictures. They could use a little help there. Something professionally done like this. This picture makes me want to try one of these real bad. Something about the comb in line with the bore and the rib angle.
    [​IMG]

19. joe kuhn

This is all I could find on their website about the recoil reduction system:

"The optimally balanced and weighted automatic cycling system provides bottom ejection, flattens the recoil curve and extends it over a longer time period providing a gentle push in reaction to the shell firing."

This is in the right hand margin on the 'About Us' page.

Also found this on the same page, main body of text, "Because recoil is the enemy of target-breaking consistency, Butler designed the XX12 to virtually eliminate it with features such as a dependable HE (High-Efficiency) gas system that turns the punch of recoil into a gentle push and unique Bottom-Barrel Technology that directs recoil in a straight line back into the shoulder instead of into the cheek."

20. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Steel receiver and trigger group ?"

The receiver is machined aluminium, trigger group appears to be steel, according to this link;

http://butlerarmsusa.com/site/docs/ButlerXX12-Info.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

butler arms xx12 info

butler arms xx12 price

butler xx12 price