1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler Arms Move to Utah - Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Greek, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Greek

The Greek Member

Article about Butler Arms move to Utah in today's Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/55002302-79/butler-arms-company-west.html.csp

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There goes the Profits ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

10,000 dollar semi-auto? Someones having a pipe dream!

Hap

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Hap, if it's going to take 125 workers to build 2000 guns per year, they will have to get at least $10,000 per gun. ;)

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick, taking that into consideration maybe $12,000 grand isn't too much either? :)

Hap

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I really don't like sounding like a broken record, but in 18000+ reads of the last post which I pushed up twice myself, not a single person stepped up and said they received a production model XX12 yet? I am suspecting they built a few prototype guns in a garage? Perhaps there was little to no mfg ability in Montana, thus no deliveries?

How could they take deposits and quote 6-8 weeks since last spring? Please, someone with a real production model step up and give me the scoop. I was pretty excited about this gun at 7500, but that was the outer limit of my reach for a SA gun....no interest whatsoever at 12500.

7. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

UTAH..!!!! did Romneys Bain Capital make an investment??? (hahahah) "run'em"

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have heard of things going up in price but not before they hit the market ... $7,500 = Maybe, $10,000 = Seriously doubt it, $12,500 NFW, I don't smoke but would like to get my hands on some of that stuff ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Anyone think the Martens will be shooting one of these new Martens', I mean Butlers'?

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try this

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

12.5K will get you a nice K80, Perazzi , Kolar, 3 Berettas or 5 Brownings...so would I ever want one of these Butlers...mmmm lemme think? no

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What you see laid before you are the trials a tribulations of bithing a product from idea to a finished production piece. In the world of gun manufacturers, Beretta's UGB is an example of how a deep pocketed company can run into all kinds of problems from design to manufacturing to end user.

Lest not forget the original Beretta UGB came on scene a decade or so ago in prototype form at the Grand, not at Sparta but Vandalia. Many people had an opportunity to give it test drive coming away with positive remarks for this new gun, but the prototype guns exhibited glitches and were clearly not ready for production.

Some will also remember the two prototypes were stolen when Beretta was packing up and getting ready to head out after the Grad. If I recall correctly only one of the two stolen prototypes were recovered. Anyway it took years not months and thousands upon thousands of dollars to rework the original designs before bringing the gun to market at a much higher price than originally projected I might add.

Butler is a small start up facing the same problems as any manufacturer regardless of size but they have the added challenge of not having endless supply of engineers, staff and capital. Butler may or may not reach their end game of producing highly featured automatic target gun, but it will not be for lack of effort.

You guys harp about a $7,000 deposit which may or may not be returned to some of you in the form of a gun, but remember, we live in a capitalist society where Venture Capitalist risk billions on start up companies who have just an idea much less a working prototype. Also remember, many of you would never had the great jobs allowing you to shoot clay targets if were not for the dreamers, doers and risk takers.

Do everyone a favor and lighten up on Butler.

Surfer

13. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the original 44 Automag? I still have the $3,000 reciept in my files. Never even fired one. I wish Butler the best, but........

Kip

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

dead on 4,

I can appreciate all you are saying, but Beretta did not as I recall offer up test guns in mid May, promise 6-8 week delivery, and so far, no one breathing will confess to getting their XX12.

Price is relative. Most thought I was nuts thinking about $7500 for a semi auto. Fuzz, I liked the gun, a lot. I shot it at GWG in Reno mid May when Jason had the Butler trailer at the shoot. And at the end of the day its just money, and last time I checked there were no money clips in the coffin.

So I am not trying to pick on Butler really....OK, maybe I am. It is looking to me like a lot of smoke and no sizzle....for more than 6 months without delivering the goods.....any goods thus far.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Kip,
    I visited the Automag company in Pasadena,CA in 1969. They had two prototypes at that time. They were very nice and showed me around. What happened after that
    was, as you know, a series of events in which a lot of people like you put up
    deposits that they lost. Eventually, AMT wound up making and selling the Automag. My understanding is that the gun was prone to jams and misfeeds, and
    never became popular. I see a few advertised -some for big bucks- but it's now
    at best a collectors gun.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Didreckson,

I get what you are saying about not hearing from an owner of one here but you do realize that not everybody is on TS.COM? When you make a statement like "no one breathing......", you have to realize your one thread on TS.COM has addressed a very very very small fraction of clay's shooters and potential customers World Wide. I personally have no idea if anybody owns one and don't care. I'm just pointing out that you haven't really done a true survey by simply asking here.

Just Say'n................

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I remember paying $150+ for my first hand held calculator. Then $3500+ for an Apple SE computer. The price will come way down. Looks like someone invested a big stack of cash.

18. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Surfer,how long has your Butler been on order?........

19. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

grntitan,

Point taken, and of course right on. I will scoot over to a sporting clay forum and see if anything is shaking...if there is one? The group I hang with shoot SC's about once a year just for grins and giggles.

However (always a but, huh?) you could post a question on a Fabarms new semi auto, and get a dozen replies on this forum. You could post something on the most obscure black powder gun and at least 2 people will step up with the answer. I know there was interest in the Butler on this site, so for not a single person to step forward and say "I got mine".....well that just seems like pretty thin odds.

Again, I am not trying to be the advocate of doom, I shot and really like the gun. I want to put my hard earned cash into one, and was so close to dropping a half deposit on it.

So back to the top, looking forward to speaking with the first real production owner of a Butler.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm certain the new Herters O/U will soon hit the market. I've been patiently waiting since around 1966!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.