1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

But I Don't Like Tape Over My Left Eye!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Improvise, my Boy -- IMPROVISE!!!

LOL.

-Gary

[​IMG]

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Watched a woman at a shoot that had a periscope built onto her gun... mirror in front of her left eye showed her the barrel, rib and bead in front of her right eye. Damn... that's dedication!

MK

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

BTW, this is called a LEFT POST RIB.

...a little football humor for you:) ...Very little.

-Gary

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If it worked like the builder envisioned wonder why it is for sale. Looks like someone was really not gonna give up until they exhausted all possibilities. You have to admit its creative. LOL

Matt

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try a darker lens in your left eye. It will knock down the wrong eye taking over, but you can still shoot with both eyes open

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have seen people put a clouded tape just at the point they would look through the lens when they have their head down on the stock. When they raise their head as to wait their turn the dot is above the eye and they see with the left eye.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The left eye may have been the only eye.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Being left handed and left eye dominant, but shooting right handed with both eyes open, I think I have a good answer for this.

One, have the discipline to LOOK AT THE TARGET. My pre-shot focal point is at a distance. When I see the flash of the bird, I am not likely to bring focus all the way back to the gun, after locking on the target. I simply know better, and so do you.

Two, a high shooting gun helps to look over the gun instead at the gun. My Sporter/Skeet guns shoot around 80% high, The Trap gun shoots about 100% high. With focus on the target, if I have to cover the bird with the muzzle, one eye usually still sees the bird.

Works for me, YMMV.

These days, my left eye is so much stronger than my right eye, if I close or block it, I am impaired on the line. No, although I CAN shoot left handed, after 53 years, I am not going to change over to please anyone. I have finally got the gun fit I want.

The three Brownings I now shoot are right handed guns, in operation as well as fit. I am very happy with them, and after shooting and owning most brands, including the "K" and "P" guns, they are my brand of choice.

These days, having outlived my family and two wives, I only have to please myself. LOL

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ummm, this is not the original poster's gun...if you look at the post again, he is referencing a GunBroker ad and seemed to have created the title of the thread in jest.

When I saw the picture of this gun and rib, my first thought was not about eye dominance (although that may be why it was created) but more of a very right handed shooter who lost vision in their right eye.

I have a friend with this situation and he has tried cross-over stocks, attachable off-set sites (same concept as this rib but much smaller and attachable to a standard barrel), and shooting left handed.

This friend of mine was a very good shooter and he still amazes me with what he can do with little to no center vision in his right eye.

Cheers

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Somebody bent your rib. Should straighten out with some hammer work.

11. higun

higun Member

Cheese slicer or hybrid Carey Side Sighter ???

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

bARON 23 I THINK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. Long time shooter,Clyde Bowser, used the shown set up when he lost his right eye and had to shoot with his lwft. Clyde D

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Why didn't he just bend the barrel so the gun shoots on the line that his left eye makes with the front bead? Jeez, such an easy fix! :)

-Gary

14. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

A handicapped shooter here in SOCAL has a similar problem, but he is blind in his right eye, and his rib has extensions to let his left eye sight on the bird...damn good shooter, and from a rolling chair to boot!...He breaks 'em with the best !....LarryB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.