1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Business idea - probably not new

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    No matter what a person may ask about their gun, chokes, mount, fitting, or whatever, the answer usually contains an admonition to PATTERN, PATTERN, PATTERN. There seems little doubt in anyone's mind that patterning is valuable. I should do it as often as possible.In my personal experience, however, patterning is a pain in the behind. Why?

First you have to find a patterning board. Then, have to pick a time when the weather is cooperating. Just try to put up a 3 x 4 sheet of paper in anything but the most mild breeze. Staple the paper or use masking tape to get it positioned on the pattern board. Make a target mark. Pace off 35 yards (or 13 if you're using a bench rest). Shoot a few rounds. Remove the target and mark it so you know what you were doing. Mount another piece of paper in the wind and do it again, and again. Now its time to analyze - the relatively easy part. I recently spent two hours on a the range, fighting with paper targets. It was 40 minutes TO the range and then another 40 back home.Three hours and 20 minutes and 10 sheets of paper. I'm also thinking the frustration of fighting with paper and staples might have perverted an accurate sample of my patterns.

Wouldn't it be better if there was an indoor patterning range where a shooter could do what he/she needs to do to understand how everything works? It wouldn't have to be a huge building, maybe 50 x 150 feet - room for a small office, storage, and air-handling equipment. I'm thinking it could be hooked up digitally so the shooter could receive digital images of the patterns - on a dvd, memory stick, or just emailed directly. The range may also have analysis software available for sale or use.

There's a big flaw in this ointment, however. How would a person make this profitable? There would probably be a huge amount of legal activity and obtaining of permits. The insurance people would want their piece of the action. Neighbors would no doubt complain about the noise and the lead contamination - even though the building would be sound proof and have top end air scrubbers. Shooters would complain about the cost - regardless of what it was - and there would always be those who think its too far away or too uncomfortable.

After thinking about it, the idea may be good, but the execution is probably impossible. Too bad. Larry
  2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Naperville, IL
    There's an indoor pistol range in our area and I bet they have a slow time which might be just right to check some patterns.
  3. dalog

dalog Member

Apr 4, 2010
    There was a company at the Arkansas State shoot a few years ago (may still be there I haven't been back) that had a mobile unit in the back of a trailer.

Pretty slick, push a button and the roll of paper advanced to a clean sheet. Pattern was photographed in the trailer and pulled up on the laptop back at the tent and then computer analyzed for you while you watched.

Don't remember cost but they were doing business.

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    If you can't figure out where your gun is shooting with one piece of paper your iq is low! Sometimes you guys over analyze. Just put the paper up step it off and shoot it. :)
  5. pdq

pdq Member

Aug 24, 2006
    WHile not indoor, the club where I shoot has 3 pattern boards set up for different purposes. THe one most often used is built to hold a large roll of heavy craft paper (a few hundred feet long).

You pull down a fresh sheet, shoot a couple of times, tear that sheet off, and then if you want, pull down again and shoot again. Very quick, very easy.

But -- if I had the opportunity to do it indoors, that'd be sort of cool.

What I thought you were going to suggest was shooting at a solid panel that had 1,000 really tiny pressure sensors that would be activated when the pellets hit, could record the hits, and immediately give you either a digital visualization or a print out of your pattern with % of pellets at various distances from the aiming point in concentric circles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.