1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bushnell speedster ll radar gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shoottilithurts, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

is this type of radar gun good enough to set targets at our local club? any info is appreciated we dont registwer targets, but would like some advise thankd, milt luther

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It will work well if used properly. You also need to consider having you club throw registered targets.

Pat Ireland

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I use this gun and as Pat stated if used properly it does fine. IMHO consistency between trap is, what you as a setter, are trying to achieve. This gun, like the height stick will aid in this task. Good luck as you have a tough crowd to please. Jake

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Jake, ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Just finished reading the rules changes in this months Trap and Field. Speed settings have been increased for Singles,Hdcp and Doubles.(42 to 44 and 39 to 41) Gonna be some unhappy shooters. Jake

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's in Trap & Field, Jake? What issue and what page, please . . .

Neil

7. Neil Winston

...and to answer your question, milt, the Bushnell Speedster will work just fine; one set good targets for the Ohio State Shoot for years.

But you really have to use it at trap-roof level to get an accurate reading. In other words, follow the advice of the rulebook.

OK, so you are going to do that, but how about the next setter? It's way easier just to stand behind the house, he or she will ask, "Can it really make any difference?" The answer is yes. Hold it about a yard off the ground and you'll get about the right speed. Stand up and hold it and you'll be throwing a target about two or thee MPH faster than you have to.

Neil

8. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

thank you all, for the advice, milt luther

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Not to disagree with you Neil, but while in Canada this last shoot, I was asked to help set targets and did so with my gun and their gun side be side on the 16 yard line holding both guns level. Both guns were reading the same, with the exception that the bushnell would only give the mile per and not the tenths.

Just what I observed.

Rickyd

10. Neil Winston

I've no doubt, Rickyd. But - you did it at the 16-yard line, while the rulebook recommends low-power guns, like the Bushnell Speedster be used at the back of the traphouse. Generally, they won't work from the 16, and if they are used at the traphouse, the result will be as I predict, that is the reading will decrease as the height above the house is increased. And the result of a decreasing reading is the need for more spring to get to the desired number.

Neil

11. 320090T

Neil, how about from inside the trap house?

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

That is something that I noticed, we tried it at the back of the house and the readings weren't coming out the same as my prospeed. So we moved back to the 16 and the readings were better.

Whatever this means. Just telling you what I experienced while in Medicine Hat.
    Nice place to shoot by the way. They really do put on a good shoot.

Rickyd

13. 320090T

Neil, Trap and Field Oct 08, page 94, upper RH corner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.