1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bushnell Holosight

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter870, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

I've used the Eosight (pretty much the same thing) on a Benelli, but it was set up as a tactical weapon. It was pretty good for target acquisition - especially when using slugs. I thoughtit was over-rated for close quarters work with buckshot.

I never got to try it on the trap or skeet and have always wondered about using one for clays. Please let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Roger. I used some aluminum sticky tape on mine for that. Put the sticky side to the mount and use sparingly. Hap

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You may find your comb is too short. The Bushnell/EOTech optical axis is quite high. More so than with other red dot sights.<br>
    <br>
    Joe Kuhn is the guy to ask about practical experience with one. He set up an 870 with one.<br>
    <br>
    I've been meaning to try mine on one of my spare 1187's, but haven't gotten around to it. Right now my EOTech 552 is on a flattop AR15 for low light coyoting.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My saddle mount came with a little felt bushing to protect the bleuing on my 870. After awhile I lost it. It leaves a little ring around the hole on one side. Not enough for me to worry about on an 870.

5. joe kuhn

Roger,

Standard reticle works fine for me. I've considered getting a large dot instead of the very small dot in a circle, but gave up after I couldn't find one for sale. I have the old model Holosight. Don't know about the new lower profile model.

If you find that reticle, let us know how it works.

I tried a different scope once and during the day, the reticle wasn't big/bright enough to use with moving targets. I was concerned about that with just a plain dot on the Holosight, but it's certainly worth a try. I was attracted to a 'finer tune' with the smaller size.

6. joe kuhn

Roger,

Get a mount that is made better. Then screw your scope to it. I have one at home and will check the brand.

You must have purchased the new sight. Noticed it's 'lower profile' but the rim seems to disappear when you look through it. The rim on my old boxie model took a little getting used to, but not much. Some guys look past a barrel. I look past the rim on my scope. It's a trade off, but I get to look just over the house with no barrel in the way at all, which I like.

Later,
    Joe

7. joe kuhn

Roger,

Mine's a Millett. It worked fine on my 870. The 1100 version is a different model, else I'd just send you mine. Not using it anymore.

8. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

rogertc,

Any reddot sight you put on a shotgun either by a saddle mount or a drilled and taped weaver rail on top of the receiver needs at least a seven moa dot for it to be seen in bright sunlight. When you sight it in, you need to sight in from a rest just like a rifle when you put on a new scope. Also any future adjustments need to be made from a rest. You will need to invest up to a 1000 + targets for you to become accustomed to it. A low profile pistol scope like a “Doctor” works very well. An adjustable comb is nearly a must when using an optical sight. Wish you luck with your holosight.

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

10. billn

billn Member

I have a red dot withe the 50MM lens and I have shot trap several times with it and did pretty good, I use it on my Winchester Super X 2 turkey gun 24" barrel and extra full choke, put the red dot on it, with both eyes open and its gone, on turkey's it is a killer, got two this year, both dropped like a brick.

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

If I remember right the 50MM reddot check in at approx. 8 1/2 to 9 oz's and the "Doctor" at 1 1/2 to 2.0 oz. The difference may not seem to be much on paper but add that to the weight of you trap gun and after 250 trap targets going on 500 in one day it starts to add up. Enjoy your Holosight!

12. joe kuhn

Roger,

I'm shooting further back now and that Holosight reticle is pretty darn big compared to the target. I tend to loose track of the gun. Could use a smaller circle. Wonder what the minute of angle is on a bead. Definitely need something in between.

Mach One will be coming soon so I'll be giving it up for a good while.

13. zanaidoo

zanaidoo TS Member

I agree with lkn4rocks and the process he outlined, if you are serious about breaking trap targets with a red dot sight (2) of the best on the market for this application you will find at the URL above or (1) at that below. A 7 or 8 moa dot is required to acquire a target in bright sunlight. Remember buy cheep get cheep results. The added weight on top of the receiver needs to be kept down to no more than 2 - 3 Oz.

http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10767.html

14. zanaidoo

zanaidoo TS Member

Here is something I just came across. The (2) URL are to movies showing (1) Acquisition with the Docter sight mounted on a 1911 and the other is of a Docter sight mounted on a shotgun but is demonstrating how fast they can reload. The 1911 against the knockdown steel plates is a blast. This is a good demonstration on how you can acquire clay targets with one of these sight mounted on your shotgun. If they can do it with a pistol you can surely do the same with a scatter gun.

http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10772.html

http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10774.html

15. joe kuhn

Nice video. I'd sure like to try that 8 MOA red dot. Good links.

16. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

zanaidoo ..... Thanks for posting the path to the sweet video! All steel 9/10 plates are shot and starting to fall while the first one is still in the air & yet to hit the ground(?). Now that's if that’s the case that is some fast target acquisition.

Something else, it appears that the red dot sight is indexed into the slide of the pistol, now that says something for durability in my book for how well the sight will hold up & it has such a low profile!

Just makes me wonder if the Bushnell Holosight could take that much abuse.

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I have a question: are you actually going to try to shoot trap with this device?

18. Brian in Oregon

By any chance did you try a substantially less expensive Uni-Dot? After all, if it's just a bright dot you want, it doesn't get any simpler than that. Your gun will have the same exact fit as before. You would not need a much higher comb, saddle mount, and you could sell the Holosight.<br>
    <br>
    I have nothing against the Holosight (I happen to have a mil-spec EOTech), but they certainly are not the best solution for everyone.

19. Brian in Oregon

Uh, the Uni-Dot is supposed to allow you to keep both eyes open on the target, while your shooting eye (only) sees the bright dot. Same as the Holosight.<br>
    <br>
    And yeah, I've seen the posts by Joe. I'd have my EOTech on an 1187 were it not being used on a flattop AR right now for night hunting coyotes.

20. Brian in Oregon

If your peripheral vision is losing the red dot, it makes me wonder if you are losing your cheekweld as you swing your gun?<br>
    <br>
    Another thought is that you mentioned bifocals. Have you tried a non-bifocal solely for shooting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bushnell holosight battery size