1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bushing Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

What number Mec bushing will through 18.5 grains of red dot, and what number bushing will I need to have a 1250 fps with green dot, unique, and clay dot. Also what number bushing for 1200 fps with unique. Most likely I will be using a AA or a federal Top Gun hull with an Federal or Win. primer with a claybuster wad. Thanks for your help.

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Link to Alliant above.

Get a reloading scale, an electronic one make getting the actual weight of each drop faster. Any bushing chart only gives you a starting point to start finding the correct bushing. Also note that each lot of powder may have different density.

Alliant's reloading guide bushing chart shows Bushing 31 is suppose to throw 18.5 grains of Red Dot. My 31 bushing throws about 17 grains of Red Dot.

From your question, you seem to be new to reloading. I suggest you pick up Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 5th Edition. I also suggest you start reloading using Rem STS hulls, Rem 209P primers, and Rem Wads. Once you get a few 100 rounds reloaded, then start using Win AA and Fed Top Gun hulls.

Jason

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I'm gonna "pile on" to what Jason said...just to make a VERY important point...
    GET A SCALE..!!!
    DO NOT use bushing charts for anything other than a starting point/genral guide. Bushings stamped with the same number often throw different weights, powder densities differ from lot to lot, your particular technique and tool can change the actual weight that ends up in your hull.
    Don't load shell one 'til you have a scale. When you do, throw 5-10 charges through your tool in the normal course of loading and check each one on your shiny new scale...which you have zeroed and calibrated of course.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Get a bushing chart, fold it small and throw it away, then use your new scale you must buy to safely reload....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.