1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bushing for # 5 shot using Hornady Bushings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have been struggling with long range handicap. I have been trying to find a fast load for my winter time shooting.. I have decided to use #5 shot which should retain more of the energy. I am using Longshot powder with AA hull and DownRange wad for 1 1/8 oz of shot. My only shot bushings are for # 8 and # 7 1/2 shot size. I have powder bushing that allow me to get up to ~1,430 fps but apparently Hornady does not make a shot bushing for larger shot. I don't want to handicap myself using the wrong shot bushing. Suggetions please. I use 1 oz. loads for sporting clays.

By the way, this is my pheasant load and I am still struggling with my long range handicap.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Charlie,

Get a 1 1/4oz bushing and silvertape the inside until you get the desired drop. I've done this many times for specific purposes.

ss

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Honestly, Charlie, your present bushing should be sufficient.

Present shot bushing measure shot by VOLUME (volume of the hole in the die).

Have you tried to pour #5 shot into one of your present bushings? The volume of the shot is relative to the shot's diameter. Larger diameter shot yield greater volumes of voided space because the larger shot, obviously, doesn't compact, and leaves larger voids. The antithesis to this is that each piece of shot is heavier, so you have a trade-off. Furthermore, you will not get and exact number of pellets in a bushing, becasue there will be shot that is "cut-off" and the bushing rotates from the drop tube.

One can run a differential calculus equation to determine the *best* mixture of shot sizes to take advantage of the voided space areas, but that defeats your request for just using #5 shot.

I would be happy to make you a shot bushing out of steel, if you want to take the time to determine what diameter is needed. If you'd send me some #5 shot pettets, I'd experiment to derrive this diameter.

All this seems complicated, but it really is a matter of applied mathematics.

Whiz

4. Charlie Becknell

Whiz,

Maybe sometime I will be able to send you some #5's. Thanks for your response.

Charlie

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

Charlie, take an extra 1 1/8 bushing, drop a couple of charges of #5 shot through it and weigh the charges. If they are light just take a Dremel with a sanding drum on it and open the bushing up a bit until it throws what you are looking for. If you don't have a Dremel, let me know and if you want to drop by Franklin County Wednesday night, you can borrow mine.

Never really cared much for #5's, for some reason they never seemed to pattern as well as 6's. And with only 1 1/8 of shot you're looking at only about 190 pellets of #5 vs 250 for #6.

6. Charlie Becknell

I have a dremel tool. I will have to order another bushing to work on. Thanks for your offer to help.

Charlie

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've got a couple of extra bushings too, be glad to let you have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.