1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush to cede power to VP during colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JoeBerg, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

OT - Bush to Cede Power to VP During Colonoscopy

Bush will have colonoscopy

‘The president has had no symptoms,’ Snow says before Saturday procedure
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 12:40 p.m. ET July 20, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush will undergo a "routine" colonoscopy Saturday and temporarily hand presidential powers over to Vice President Dick Cheney, White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

Snow told reporters Friday that Bush will have the procedure done at his Camp David, Md., mountaintop retreat.

The last time Bush had colon and rectal cancer surveillance was on June 29, 2002. Doctors then advised him to have another colonoscopy in five years.

"The president has had no symptoms," Snow said.

The procedure will be supervised by the president's doctor, Richard Tubb, and will be performed by a medical team from the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Md.

Snow said that because president will be under the effects of anesthesia, he once again has elected to implement Section 3 of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution. Cheney will serve as acting president until Bush notifies authorities that he is ready to reassume his powers.

Cheney held power in 2002
    In 2002, Bush transferred presidential powers to Cheney for more than two hours during the routine colon screening that ended in a clean bill of health.

It was only the second time in history that the Constitution's presidential disability clause was invoked. President Reagan was the first to invoke the Constitution's 25th Amendment since its adoption in 1967 as a means of dealing with presidential disability and succession.

The earlier colonoscopy for Bush also was done at the well-equipped medical facility at Camp David near Thurmont, Md. Bush felt well enough afterward to play with his dogs and take a 4 1/2-mile walk with the first lady and then-White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card and his wife. He then went to the gym for a light workout.

Polyps found
    Tubb said two polyps were discovered during examinations in 1998 and 1999 while Bush was governor of Texas. That made Bush a prime candidate for regular examinations.

The 2002 procedure began at 7:09 a.m and ended at 7:29 a.m. Bush woke up two minutes later but did not resume his presidential office until 9:24 a.m., after Tubb conducted an overall examination. Tubb said he recommended the additional time to make sure the sedative had no aftereffects.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19872260/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2007 MSNBC.com

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hate the preperation, not pleased with the procedure, but they certainly should offer that happy juice at a drive up window, eh?......Bob Dodd

3. ajc

ajc Member

I'm with Bob,
    Having to have these at regular intervals for several years now (but with a clean bill of health, after an initial scare), the prep is the worst part. If you haven't had the priviledge, trust us, you may think the procedure is bad, but just wait until you have to drink that solution. I shiver just thinking about it.
    ajc

4. DJM

DJM Active Member

The most frustrating part of the procedure for me is that after a 30 year abstinence I finally get some good dope, but with the amnesia side effect I do not remember any of it.

5. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Had one done several years ago. The preperation is not a number one on my fav things to do list. But the procedure I took it like a man and had no anasthetic. Found no major probs either. But as soon as I hit the car to come home, I took three Ty-3's with Codein. We took our Chevy Tracker and I thank GOD we did because the Arrow Star Does not have reclining seats. After the Ty-3 took ahold the wifie was driving and said I turned into a Chatty Kathy and even tried to tell her how to drive. RICH (inPeoriaAz.)

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

jnoe- when they do yours, do they go through your nostrils and head north?

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

My God the man can't even have something as private as that without the whole world knowing.Call me a prude,which I am not,but I don't need to know this.

Darr Wilson

8. smartass

smartass TS Member

Get a grip Darr, the reason it was publicized is that it was one of the rare times a President has given up presidential power. Otherwise, nobody would care about Bush's ass except for jnoemanh and that's because it's where he finds his lunch.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I'll bet some lawyers will be hiding with Cheney in the power seat. IMHO Hey Cheney, Liberal start with an "L" too, you know.

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I get nervous when I hear the "idea" of power being placed in Dick's hands.

11. JOND

JOND TS Member

Some of you won't take it so lightly if[God forbid] you get colon cancer ! The most preventable form of cancer. JOND

12. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Grow up== to joke about this means your IQ is in the single digits

Gene

13. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

For anyone over 50 who has not had one done, I would recommend it. Too many horror stories around. Be safe, not sorry. Michael

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Actually they were looking for some democrats. And yes I had one this year and they told me I was a perfect A??hole.

Don

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You needed a doctor to tell you that??

16. joshif

joshif TS Member

Ain't no "Plop of a turd" with that cleaner outer!

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

"I get nervous when I hear the "idea" of power being placed in Dick's hands."

Now rev, Who exactly do you think has had the "power" all along? You really don't think ol' W has been the one making the decisions do ya?

Jake

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Let's hope we don't have a hijacking when Cheney is President. Anything in the air would be shot down. I've had that procedure and it' necessary to follow up when pollops are found. When they blow up your stomach with air it's very uncomfortable. The effect of the gas won't last long so so Cheney's Presidency won't last long and that is in our favor. In my honest opinion. Dan

19. 100straight

100straight Member

What we should be concerned about is who will become acting President if something happens to Cheney during that time frame while Bush is sedated....... that's really scary. She would probably sign an executive order banning private ownership of guns before Bush got out of surgery.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

About as much purpose as some of your prior comments.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.