1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush Justice Dept. Gun Rights Brief

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well, our efficient President has allowed his Justice Department to file a brief with the Supreme Court on a very important case on ownership of guns and whether it is protected under the Second Amendment.

The government position filed with the Supreme Court by U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement stunned gun advocates by opposing the breadth of an appellate court affirmation of individual ownership rights.

You can read Robert Novak's description of this mess at the above or copy and paste the below.

Now, all you Bush supporters. Tell us how much you love our Pres. these days.

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/RobertDNovak/2008/03/13/ws_gun_battle

Jake

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep repeating the mantra "Republicans are our friends".

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

We get 150 responses to rages about gun rights and I can't even get a response to a current, right now before the Supreme Court, case which goes directly to the rights of an individual to own a gun if a city (Washington, DC) passes a law which says ALL GUNS are illegal?

Amazing.

Do you guys even give a slightly educated guess about your gun rights? Or would you rather watch the talking heads on TV tell you what you should be outraged about?

Now, let's get back to talking about Hillary the bitch, Obama the Muslin and McCain the RINO. I think I heard that Obama had a mean minister. Jake

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Read the whole link again, especially the last sentence. Talk about taking things out of context. Amazing.

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Preparing to hear oral arguments Tuesday on the extent of gun rights guaranteed by the Constitution's Second Amendment, the U.S. Supreme Court has before it a brief signed by Vice President Cheney opposing the Bush administration's stance. Even more remarkably, Cheney is faithfully reflecting the views of President George W. Bush."

And, "The word was passed in government circles this week that Clement would amend his position when he actually faces the justices -- an odd ending to bizarre behavior by the Justice Department."

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I read the whole link.

You may not understand what a Justice Department amicus brief to the Supreme Court is. But it is not something to be "amended" because no one checked with the boss to see what the policy is and get even a shred of credibility with the Court.

And, if you read the "whole link" you can see that Cheney knew about it in advance and personally signed a different letter brief from many members of Congress. It wasn't just a "slip."

The brief, which was probably being prepared for months. urges the Court to uphold a law in DC which bans guns. And the brief was SUBMITTED at the deadline to the Court by the Bush Justice Department. He sure isn't watching out for the Constitutional Right to Keep Arms. But apparently, he's your guy.

That is just the facts. Twist it how you want.

Jake

6. Paladin

"That is just the facts. Twist it how you want."

I quoted strait from your link. Period. There is no twisting on my part, unlike your warped interpretation of it.

"He sure isn't watching out for the Constitutional Right to Keep Arms."

Read this again, with emphasis on the last part of the sentence; "by Vice President Cheney opposing the Bush administration's stance. Even more remarkably, Cheney is faithfully reflecting the views of President George W. Bush."

You have obviously tried to twist this to your liberal view, but that is the way you people are.

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gee Paladan. I thought that being in favor of individual rights to own guns was a conservative view. But, if you think that is a "liberal view" by one of "you people" so be it.

And, if you read my "original post" or any of my other posts, you can see that my point is that Bush is incompetent not that he is anti gun.

I figure he most likely is in favor of the individual right to keep guns. He is just too incompetent to make sure the most important case on the issue to visit the Supreme Court in many years is briefed by HIS Justice Department in accordance with his and his supporters' "conservative" views.

And, as I said above, it was no supprise what view his Justice Department took. Cheney obviously knew about it. I guess he forget to let W in on what position to take.

Jake

8. SoftCraft

SoftCraft TS Member

"..it a brief signed by Vice President Cheney opposing the Bush administration's stance. Even more remarkably, Cheney is faithfully reflecting the views of President George W. Bush."

No one mentioned the obvious view..
    "..it a brief signed by Vice President Cheney opposing the Bush administration's stance." .. This means that the brief didn't represent Bush's stance.

"Even more remarkably, Cheney is faithfully reflecting the views of President George W. Bush." .. this says the brief represented Bush's stance.

Don't these two statements oppose each other...obviously the author of the article either doesn't want to offend anyone or doesn't know how to write.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The bottom line is that Bush does not care about this. His administration is at odds with his supposed stance, as brought to light by Cheney stepping in to support us. I have a feeling Bush is no friend of ours, but knows all too well the political reality that got his Daddy "fired". But now he is a lame duck and he sure ain't gunna bother to help us.

10. Paladin

"I have a feeling Bush is no friend of ours"

I disagree with that statement. Novak states; "Cheney is faithfully reflecting the views of President George W. Bush"

I believe he is the first president to NOT sign anti-gun legislation in decades, possibly several decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.