1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dhwbailey, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Bush spares Libby from serving 2½ years in jail
    Last Updated: Monday, July 2, 2007 | 6:54 PM ET
    CBC News
    U.S. President George W. Bush commuted part of Lewis (Scooter) Libby's sentence on Monday, sparing the former White House aide from serving 2½ years in jail for his role in the CIA leak case.

"I respect the jury's verdict, but I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive," Bush said in a statement issued Monday.

Lewis (Scooter) Libby, right, seen with his lawyer Theodore B. Wells in March, will not have to serve 2½ years in jail.
    (Gerald Herbert/Associated Press) "Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby's sentence that required him to spend 30 months in prison."

Bush said Libby will still have to pay a $250,000 US fine and serve two years probation.

"My decision to commute his prison sentence leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby," Bush said.

He noted that Libby's wife and young children have "suffered immensely" and Libby's reputation as a public servant and former lawyer has been "forever damaged."

"The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant and private citizen will be long-lasting," Bush said.

Bush's move came hours after a U.S. federal appeals panel ruled Libby could not delay his prison term.

Libby was the highest-ranking White House official convicted in a government scandal since the Iran-Contra affair two decades ago.

He was convicted in March of lying about what he told reporters regarding CIA operative Valerie Plame, whose identity was leaked in 2003 after her husband Joseph Wilson criticized the Bush administration's Iraq war policies.

Libby was not charged with the leak itself — no one has been charged with leaking Plame's name. He was charged with lying to authorities investigating the leak and obstructing justice.

The U.S. constitution gives the president the power of clemency to be used when deemed warranted. Bush said he believes clemency is appropriate in Libby's case.

With files from the Associated Press

2. SouthwestShooter

SouthwestShooter TS Member

too bad the VP didn't go shooting with "scooter".... then he wouldn't have to worry abouit him testifying against him ho ho ho

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"President Clinton shot an intern in the face also......"

and she enjoyed it too.

4. Highpockets

Highpockets Member

There's a surprise! Hey, who needs courts and juries and sentencing guidelines? Let's just let "The Decider" decide. That's what they call "equal application of the law"! No more complaining about those Hollywood celebrities getting special treatment...

5. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Bush spares Libby from serving 2½ years in jail
    Last Updated: Monday, July 2, 2007 | 6:54 PM ET
    CBC News
    U.S. President George W. Bush commuted part of Lewis (Scooter) Libby's sentence on Monday, sparing the former White House aide from serving 2½ years in jail for his role in the CIA leak case.

"I respect the jury's verdict, but I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive," Bush said in a statement issued Monday.

Lewis (Scooter) Libby, right, seen with his lawyer Theodore B. Wells in March, will not have to serve 2½ years in jail.
    (Gerald Herbert/Associated Press) "Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby's sentence that required him to spend 30 months in prison."

Bush said Libby will still have to pay a $250,000 US fine and serve two years probation.

"My decision to commute his prison sentence leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby," Bush said.

He noted that Libby's wife and young children have "suffered immensely" and Libby's reputation as a public servant and former lawyer has been "forever damaged."

"The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant and private citizen will be long-lasting," Bush said.

Bush's move came hours after a U.S. federal appeals panel ruled Libby could not delay his prison term.

Libby was the highest-ranking White House official convicted in a government scandal since the Iran-Contra affair two decades ago.

He was convicted in March of lying about what he told reporters regarding CIA operative Valerie Plame, whose identity was leaked in 2003 after her husband Joseph Wilson criticized the Bush administration's Iraq war policies.

Libby was not charged with the leak itself — no one has been charged with leaking Plame's name. He was charged with lying to authorities investigating the leak and obstructing justice.

The U.S. constitution gives the president the power of clemency to be used when deemed warranted. Bush said he believes clemency is appropriate in Libby's case.

With files from the Associated Press

6. SouthwestShooter

SouthwestShooter TS Member

too bad the VP didn't go shooting with "scooter".... then he wouldn't have to worry abouit him testifying against him ho ho ho

7. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"President Clinton shot an intern in the face also......"

and she enjoyed it too.

8. Highpockets

Highpockets Member

There's a surprise! Hey, who needs courts and juries and sentencing guidelines? Let's just let "The Decider" decide. That's what they call "equal application of the law"! No more complaining about those Hollywood celebrities getting special treatment...

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Clinton didn't "COMMUTE" the sentences of his pals that took the fall for him. He OUTRIGHT PARDONED THEM! Clinton was guilty of perjury, obstruction, and worse(so was his crooked lawyer wife), but got off scott free, but then I guess that's fine with the two faced liberals! Now if Bush will just pardon the two border patrol agents who were set up for shooting an illegal drug dealer, he might get some respect back!

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

no worse than Bush Sr. pardoning the whole Iran-Contra clan

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

Not to count, but Clinton issued 450 pardons/comutations during his term. George Bush had better hurry to come close to that record.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Now if he'll pardon Liddy, he'll just about make my day. Great move, W..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.