1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Burning shotgun shells?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

My Mom spends the winter in FL so I stop by and check her house every now and then. Well I was snooping in the basement and came across a peach basket of my Dad's old shells. They are paper Winchesters that he probably reloaded in the mid 60s. Just thinking about how to dispose of em. Normally I would just shoot Dad's found reloads through my 870 Super Mag duck gun. (I figure no way can a 2-3/4 shell blow it up) LOL But these being paper I imagine some will break off in the chamber.

Well anyway I'm going to try and burn some brush in my backyard this weekend, just wondering if you can see any problem with just throwing these reloads in the fire?

I figure they might fizz and the primers pop, but other than that?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

One slice with a utility knife to salvage the lead, then burn away.

Or just drive down a country road and whip them into the weeds one at a time like a Good American, LOL.

-Gary

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

light tackle. Jeff

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To not salvage the shot is a sin in the shooting world.

P. S. if you are gonna listen to GW22 and chuck 'em along the road, do it by my house.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, I thought about taking the lead.

6. rwtii

rwtii Member

Save the lead, open the shell with a utility knife, drain the powder and put the rest in the trash. Or drain the powder and shot and fire the primers in your gun, then discard.

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Paper winchesters. Sweet

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

shoot them and see?

Shame to waste them

9. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

I can tell you as a fact that the primers will leave the hull with enough force to deeply dent a 55 gallon steel drum (from the inside out), probably more than enough force to embed in flesh and certainly enough to take out an eye.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If they were mine I'd shoot them up. Were they stored in a dry place? Do they look good? HMB

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shoot em or cut them up with the UNLOADER

12. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

not a good idea to burn then. we did this 1 time using a metal 5 gallon pail. primers went flying every place.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think they would be perfect to use in the next ATA registered shoot. HMB

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I like the idea of burning them--sounds like great red neck fun on a full-moon, Jack Daniels infused August eve around a bonfire.

Back in the day my buddy's dad had a small cabin back in the woods on the bank of a small river. We'd party there during the summer breaks from high school.

One of our favorite activities once we were all very "happy" was to turn off all sources of light and have a bottle rocket fight within. What great fun! More luck than sense that nobody ever got hurt "that" badly.

Maybe herein lies the crux of the seeming downward spiral of our society--we're too damned worried about safety to have some good old-fashioned fun.

I'd keep a box full though as a nostalgic reminder of Pop.

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.