1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

burning AVGAS in a 2 cycle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Landyn16, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

i have a little 52cc 2 cycle scooter and it does not run very well and one of my hunting buddies told me to use 100ll avgas in it. i know nothing about the stuff and would appreciate some helpful info on what you think about using it in a little 2 cycle engine.

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Is your oil mix right? Your better off to go up to premium if its an older ride

3. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

First empty the gas tank and try fresh mix.Then look at your air cleaner. If dirty wash out with hot soapy water and re oil with filter oil. Still no? Pull the spark plug and replace with the same number. Still no? If you can find them and feel comfy then look for the hi and low air jets on the carburator. They will look like flat head screws with springs on them. Slowly adjust the low back and forth for optimal idling. Same with the hi with the throttle opened. Still no? More problems than I can walk you through here. Most of the new 2 strokes are fairly dependable with this maintanence. The higher octane of the av gas is somewhat lost on small engines and can be detrimental if not set up for the octane. If you can find a lower octane (90-94)av gas it really shouldn't bother you as long as you get plenty of clean air to her. The bennefit is, there are additives in the av gas that stabilize and lengthen the shelf life of the fuel in the tank. It is what I use in all of the tanks around that are likely to sit. My start up times have decreased to the point of non existance. Three years on a tank of fuel, two pulls on the rope and done. The extra cost of fuel is made up for in the clean running and virtual lack of gumming up in the fuel system and the resultant less repair costs not to mention dependability. Hope I could help.

4. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

Whogoose thanks for the info. the carb has no jets. but what i realy want to know is it ok to run in a 2 cycle engine or will the lead in it damage the engine?

5. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

I am not the end all on this but I believe even the aviation fuel in no lead now. I know the airport here used to let us fuel up hotrods and bikes right out of the pump. But to be honest I can not say with a 100% that it is no lead. A quick call to your airport or their supplier should have the info. Regardless, the lead was put in the fuel as a lubricant and should have no detrimental effects upon an engine. I have burned a fair share and several people I have confered with have used it and stored it up to 10 years with no catastraphic break down. The reason fuel is now unleaded is because of the lead emissions were said to cause brain damage. Apparently they kept using it in neighborhoods in Kenya and Hawai. With that as evidence maybe that lead is bad for you.

6. racer

racer TS Member

Slower,cooler burning high octane gasoline is a myth. Clean fuel,clean plug is about all a two stroke needs- if the carb is clean. Dan

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Wyogoose,

100LL avgas is leaded. They've been working on developing a no-lead avgas to satisfy the EPA but as yet they haven't found a satisfactory substitute for the higher compression aircraft piston engines. The "LL" in blue 100LL stands for "low lead", indicating it's got only half the lead content compared to the ol' green 100/130 avgas, but still has four times the lead content of the ol' red 80/87 avgas.

John C. Saubak

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Two strokes don't really benefit from leaded fuel; the way a two stroke works, tends to throw tetraethyl lead out of suspension. The best thing for a two stroke, and this is counter intuitive, is to run an oil mix on the heavy side...that is, if the mix calls for 32:1, try, say, 26:1, i.e., five percent fatter..

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

AVGAS was quite popular as a motorcycle fuel several years ago. We sold a lot of it. ......................AJ

10. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

Thanks Old Cowboy. It's always good to learn something new.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you have checked the basics, spark plug, etc. go for the muffler.

2 strokes will plug the muffler with residue, and those little engines have a muffler that plugs easy. ( they made them to run quiet.

Take off the muffler and slosh kerosene around in it, pour out and let dry. Light it and see if you can burn the stuff out of it.

I have seen 2 stroke bikes just oozing gunk out of the exhaust.

HM

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with HM. I had an engine exhaust that consisted of a fine screen along with some baffles. When I finally decided it had to be in the muffler. I took it apart and that screen was full of carbon. I cleaned that and ran just fine.

WB

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I will add my 2 cents to this. Clean, correctly gapped plugs, clean air filter and Hi-test pump gas. Larry

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Another thing is if you're running any gas with ethynol added, your carb may be gumming up, and/or have a few leaky seals and gaskets. The ethynol plays havoc with plastic fuel line hoses, especially those "toys" only used seasonally.

I've always had problems with all of my 2 cycle engines every year, until a local Stihl dealer told me to use only premium gas (no alchohol here in MN), and a capful of SEA-FOAM in each tank. That was 5 yrs ago, and haven't had anymore problems.

Besides everything the guys mentioned above, try some SEA-FOAM with the fuel.

Doug

15. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

The find screen isn't a muffler, it's a spark arrestor. The government, in their infinite wisdom, requires these on many engines both 2 and 4 cycle. The first thing I do when buying a chainsaw, weed eater, blower, lawnmower, etc. is remove the spark arrestor so I don't have to waste time constantly cleaning the little bugger.

P.S. I've never started a fire by not having a spark arrestor.

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

But MilkBone.. Have you ever been arrested? HEHEHEHEHEHEHE (joking)

17. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

i think i may have found a problem. i took the air cleaner off and wile it was running i ran my finger by the intake on the carb and it allmost died and i by no mean blocked off the air flow just decreased it. the carb opening is 15mm do you think that is to small for a 52 cc engine

18. abiezer

abiezer Guest

go to your local outboard marine dealer,get a can of engine tuner,
    follow directions on can,spray a bunch of it into the 15mm intake while
    the engine is running..
    You might also run some carbon guard in the gas.

19. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

The highly refined AV gas evaporates to near nothing. As you know most airplanes sit on the pavement or in hangers for weeks/months between flights. Any residue (varnish) in carburators or injectors would be disasterous. We run AV gas in everything, transfer pumps, old trucks, forklifts,ect. anything without a catylytic converter. Something that sits for months starts up immediately, without any of the (dump the old gas) type problems.

Incidently, my wife jokes that if ever there is a divorce, she will put it in the decree that I am to provide AV gas for her lawnmower for life. BW

20. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

I will second the Seafoam. This stuff is awesome. I use it in my 2stroke lawnmower and I haven't rebuilt the carb or changed the spark plug in seven years. Bought jetskis last year, fired right up this year without any issues! Seafoam is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.