1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Burned out teacher looking for a job

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

Would be willing to relocate. Position must have benefits and pay enough to support my shooting habit!

I'm only half kidding.

2. calilori

calilori TS Member

Let me add that those should be MEDICAL benefits!!!

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bureau of prisons is hiring around here.

Work environment not that different, lol.

4. calilori

calilori TS Member

LOL....too true!

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Calilori, I'm burned out too, but it seems I'm going in the opposite direction as you. A guy at the local school corp. said he could keep me busy substitute teaching. I'm thinking about it. Just wished they paid substiutes more.

The grass is always greener.

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I'll help in any way I can.

7. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Lori, <br> My wife is getting ready to start back and there will be some interesting changes this year. If a student doesn't turn in an assignment, the new grading policy states that teachers cannot give zeroes. They have to give at least 40% grade! I have seen several districts in the midwest talk about this as the coming thing. Has it been or worked in California? First we passed (failing) kids to the next grade to help their self esteem. Now we give them a 40% or more for turning NO work. Where can I get a job that allows me to only work 3 days and get paid for 5 days? One district tried it and dumped it after one year. Claimed kids were not even trying since they had at least 40% in the bag. This is probably something that Whiz White suggested when he was trying to get "No Child left with a behind" in all the schools. ROFL IMHO Omaha

8. calilori

calilori TS Member

We can't give kids below a 59%

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm glad I got through 36 years in the public school business and then retired at age 59. There were some fun times...like when I wore my "Magnum Cum Laude" Smith and Wesson sweatshirt to work. I had a job that requied that I go from school to school to evaluate students. Anyway, the principal at the school to which I wore the Smith sweatshirt was a bit uptight about it. I told her that the company was started by some distant ancestors and that my "Auntie" brought me the sweatshirt after a visit to the Smith factory.

Come to think of it, I did visit the Smith facility one time. Down the block is the Indian Motorcycle Museum, but it was closed the day I went to Smith. Great visit, hope to get back to New England again. I live in So-Cal...

Sir who is looking for a job: Try So-Cal, Los Angeles, and look into working in a charter school..where the school sets the rules.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Calilori, does that 59% include handicap and doubles?

11. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm in Central California but if you know of any charter schools that might be hiring let me know, although getting out of teaching altogether is my goal.

12. calilori

calilori TS Member

Not only do they so little but they don't get retirement or health benefits, or I would totally go for that myself.

13. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Omaha, that work 3 get paid 5 job is called Congress. I think they also opporate on that rule of nothing below 40%. They have an approval rating in the single digits and they can give themselves a raise.

Scott

14. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

The Powder River Basin in Wyoming is looking for good people. Mostly coal mines...Darn good jobs, pay great, good benefits. It would be in the Douglas, Gillette area. Nice people mostly, nice area to live. If you need any more info, shoot me an email.

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Now, Lori, there's a dandy offer and close to Sir Kiner for all your coaching needs. Then the population of Wyoming is certainly attractive; 4% sales tax not bad; and 0% income tax pretty atrractive. Oh, then there's all those cowboys with their Wrangler jeans.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Lori - if you want to move to Wyoming, I'll go with you and we can share expenses!

I'm also burned out (construction industry), the job market here stinks and I am looking for a change as well (all the way around). Email me (you have the addy) and let's chat...it's been a while.

17. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

Full bennies, gov't pension, and the summers off to go shooting. Must be rough.

18. flylta

flylta TS Member

Florida prison system is always hiring pay is okay, not bad if you are already certified and from the reports I've seen about schools lately it would be a much safer work environment.

Ron

19. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Over 80k in college education, plus another 20-40k paid to earn her Master's plus whatever she pays for continuing ed. All to make 50-60k a year and have to listen to disgruntled parents and Seniors complain about "how much money they make". Hate to let you in on the fact that it ain't babysitting as so many people make teaching out to be.

With her education, I am betting she can make double what she makes now as a teacher with 1/4 of the BS she has to put up with, with the kids, parents, and bullshit laws that make the teachers the "bad guys".

JP before you make teaching out to be an easy job because of the perks you list, maybe you should walk in her shoes because many teaching assignments in public schools can be pretty tough as they can not fire, remove, or knock out someone when they F them off, fights in the halls, deal or smoke dope on school grounds, don't do their work, etc...

In the private sector, I am sure its a lot easier to remove an employee than it is removing a student.

There are not many carrots to get the kids to sit in class and do their work anymore. No parent discipline, the law takes away school discipline, now the law is talking away the power of passing/failing a course. The kids don't have many, if any, responsibilities anymore.

I feel bad for you Calori as my school district has pretty much been in an eye of a hurricane I guess. We have parental involvement, we have school discipline, we have no grade policies, we suspend and expel the behavioral problems, and we have parents disciplining their kids when they screw around in school or do poorly in class. My place is a middle class public HS school outside Phila. PA. No Richy Rich place. Hard workers from Sunoco, Boeing, and other local businesses.

Good luck and use your education, it definitely makes you marketable in the private sector.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Can't you just give them cross word puzzles and have lots of movie days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.