1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

burn barrel ideas!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mikeinmich, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

So what do you use and how long does it last? My best effort so far is cut off ends from galvanized culvert pipe.

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a 55 gal. barrel. Cut 3 holes on the side at the bottom for a draft. Open top. If that is what your talking about. Charlie

3. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

The used 55 gallon drums are good for maybe two years. The culvert pipe lasts for about 5 years initally. If you start off using a 5' section you can flip it over when the bottom 6-10 inches rots away and get another 4-5 years out of it..............Is there something better? That's what I'm looking for.

4. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

buy you a piece of 30" stainless schedule 80 pipe.....you'll never have to replace it. Or you can buy a new ceasar for the same price lol.

5. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

The tub out of a washing machine works great

6. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I use an old wheel off of a dump truck with center cut out.

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

chevy volt or an old pinto

8. MR870

MR870 Member

Surprised no tree hugger,anti gunning,Obummer lover,global warmer hasn't hated you yet for burning trash in the open.You know the ones that buy expensive bottled water by the case so they have something to drink in their electric cars on the way to occupy wallstreet riot.

9. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

I use a 55 gal. barrel, ends cut out, with many .22 holes for ventilation. usually good for about 3 years. A friend uses an old fuel tank, the elliptical ones that used to be in most basements. I think they were 265 gal. It holds a huge amount of garbage and he doesn't have trouble with the wind scattering ashes all over his yard. Usually can find them for free if you carry them up the stairs.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had some expanded steel left over from a job, and built a 4X4X4 angle iron frame, and welded the expanded steel inside of it, with a lid, it's lasted about 8 yrs, and works great, when it gets full I just pick it up with the front end loader remove and bury any residue and put it back

The expanded steel keeps all the sparks and ashes from escaping

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have an unlimited supply of 55 gal ballels so I don't worry too much about burning them up. But here is a nice incinerator design that I have been using;

Get 2 - 55 gallon bbls with ring clamp lids. Cut the bottom out of one of them and set it over an expanded metal grate. Perforate this barrel around the bottom third with a couple of magazines of .45 acp. Just above the perforations, cut a 6" dia hole and insert a 1' section of 6" stove pipe with runs to the second barrel (unperforated). Install a 4" stack in the lid of the second bbl using 6" stove pipe. Make a spark arrestor cage on the top of the exhaust pipe with 20 mesh metal screen.

Put all the stuff you want to burn in the perforated bbl along with what ever starter mix you might need and light it up. put the lid on the burn section and let it rip. The second bbl acts as an afterburner and ash knock out section. You get complete combustion with very little smoke and no flying burning material.

I burn yard waste like branches and cardboard boxes usually once per week and I get about 5 years out of one of thes set ups.

12. porky

porky TS Member

The best burning instrument that I have ever seen was a length of rolled up chicken wire(or yard or whatever) fencing. It is easily replaceable and the fire will burn at all levels and burns all that you place in it. Granted it needs replacing every couple of years, but it can be made to any size. Depending on the amount that you place in it, it will burn real hot and fast. The key is not to burn alot of cardboard unless you are a ways away from neighbors because it will have high flames, but theflames are gone in about 5 minutes. The ashes disintergrate also, so dumping the ashes out isn't necessary either.

13. Robb

Robb Member

wolfram. I'd love a pic of your setup. I have to do something here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best burn barrel design
best burn barrel designs

burn barrel spark arrestor screen

fairbanks burn barrel screen
inferno burn barrel
making a burn barrel holes
spark arrestor burn barrel
spark attestors burn barrel