1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bunker trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682psf, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682psf

682psf TS Member

im 16 and wanting to get in to bunker trap. i live near colorad and so have accsess to one feild and soon another. i shoot a beretta 682 gold E trap combo. is the high ribed o/u barrel ok for this

2. C23D

C23D TS Member

The height of your rib is only slightly relevant. More important is how high your gun shoots. Most (but not all) bunker shooters prefer a 50/50 or 60/40 shooting gun. First determine where your gun shoots and adjust from there.

3. 682psf

682psf TS Member

much to most peoples scorn i shoot a flat gun for trap. at 35yards it shoots 50/50. also i do reload do anyone have any opinions about loads. thanks
    -Dustin

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Short answer is yes, the 682 gold e is suitable for bunker. A number of junior shooters use this gun.

C23D posed one important quesion - the POI. You need to know where the gun shoots and floating bunker targets high above the barrel is not going to deliver consistent results. So find out the answer to the POI question.

A second consideration is the weight of the gun - do you have the 32" O/U barrels? If yes, how dynamic does the gun feel in your hands? Moving 32" barrels can be a challenge for some shooters, especially at the speeds you need to move in bunker.

Good luck - it is a great game and will challenge your skill.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Reloads are no issue - i've reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds for bunker. You should not use them in competition but for practice - go ahead, burn them up.

6. 682psf

682psf TS Member

thanks for info. like i said my gun dose shoot 50/50. i use 30in. barreles so im ok their. is their anyone in colorado who could get me hooked up and shooting bunker. i know that fort carson has a range and pikes peak gun club is getting one but id like to start of with a coach so that i dont start any bad habits. im kind of short on money for coaches so any help would be appreciated.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

1 1/8oz-#8's roughly 1145-1200fps is a great Trap load no matter which brand or reloading recipe. My reloading powder choice is Green Dot. There are alot of other choices that work just as well though.

Of course the above load is for American Trap. I don't know squat about bunker. The load i listed is all you really need but there is hotter Handicap loads for those at the 25-27yds.

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Bunker (International) Trap loads are 24 gram loads, that run in the ball park of 1330-1350 FPS. Most everyone shoots 7.5 shot. Winchester manufactures a AA International load specifically for International Trap. 24 grams is about 7/8 oz.

You may be able to find some Game Load promotional ammo that approximates the AA load, at a much lower cost. Your Beretta 682 is fine. You'll want to use full or IM chokes.

bluedsteel

9. 682psf

682psf TS Member

thanks for all the info

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

All good info..... Your asking good questions and preparing yourself properly, my 16-year old son started bunker this year and is totally hooked, we just need a bunker closer to us.

As stated, 7.5's at 1300+ are best with the speed of the targets and the fact they are thicker and heavier than American trap targets. You need all that energy to break them.

You can load anything you want for practice, but competitions are 24 gram. I load 7/8 oz HARD 7.5s with 21.5 gr of Green Dot for my son. It's right about 1300 per Alliant data. Very low pressure load.

Your gun is fine, Lots of Berettas on the bunker. I guess it's 60/40 or so depending on the comb. 30" will swing fine.

Find someone with experience to get you started. We have found that everyone we met was willing to help. Call the club and ask questions, show your enthusiasm and they will want to help you.

Virtually EVERYTHING is different in bunker; from your stance, hold points, gaize, weight positioning, using your knees and driving to target rather than a solid, flat-footed ATA stance. It's almost and instinctive shot.

The birds travel 1-1/2 times faster at twice the angles and the flat ones just scream!

I'm not an expert, but know enough to be dangerous.... good luck its a ton of fun and challenge!

SW

ps. Always break the piece!

11. saintlawrence

saintlawrence Member

StoneWall Racing makes a point that is sometimes lost on new bunker shooters - 'break the piece'. Years ago at Ft. Benning I watched as then coach Burl Branham had his shooters practice breaking the piece - it is the best 'second barrel' drill you can find. Shooting the followup second shot is a problem for transitional ATA shooters.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Call Mike Herman at Shoot The Moon in Payton, Co (719-495-3272) He is one of the best Bunker shooters in the Country. X US Team. He will get you started right.

Tom

13. 682psf

682psf TS Member

thank this all veary helpful info. i actually know mike herman. i shoot with his daughter in a sctp program. he plans on geting as many kid over to bunker as soon as he gets the range at pikes peak gun club finished

14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

+1 on everything that was said. For my practice loads I have alternated between Downrange 7/8oz & Claybuster 7/8oz wads. Both load nice, Downrange leaves less junk in the barrels. I use 7.5 shot and 19.2gr Clays, which according to the data should equate to around 1300+ fps. I haven't had a chance to chrono yet, so can't confirm. Both Winchester AA and Remington hulls, for a change the Winchester seems to load better.

I've also found that just about anyone you talk to at a bunker will offer you all the help you need. The biggest thing is get someone to watch you or even video yourself to review. Amazing the mistakes you had no idea you were making. In my case, raising my head.

Hal Hitchcock

15. Deigeh nisht

Deigeh nisht TS Member

While observing videos of European Bunker shooters, I noticed many shooters in their Final round using RC4 shotshells. 24gm at 1500 fps. No speed limit for bunker shooters.

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Wish we could get RC in this country. They apparently will not allow exporting to the US because of our lawyers and liability laws.

Tb

17. Deigeh nisht

Deigeh nisht TS Member

New videos of Bunker Trap shooting with an quick explanation (not elaboration) of ammo used (RC4). Enjoy....

Finals Trap Men - ISSF World Cup Series 2011, Shotgun Stage 7, Maribor (SLO)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
24gram international trap loads
bunker trap blueprints

bunker trap loads

bunker trap shooting

bunker trap shooting tips
international trap load

international trap loads

old winchester international trap load