Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunker trap Question? For my SCTP Kids

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  lumper 
#1 ·
My son and daughter are shooting bunker trap this year My daughter has a over and under but son has a BT 99. What is a good gun for this sport? And what chokes do the usually use? Looking at a XT do you think that will work? Thanks John

#4 ·
A good quality 12ga O/U with a minimum 28" barrel, preferably 30" but a 32" could work if thats what you have already. Barrel length will all depend on your children's current size. Just remember that bunker/international trap targets are thrown at wider angles, varying degrees of elevation and at much faster speeds so barrel length and the ability to swing that barrel comes into play much much more than ATA.

BT-99 ... no way ... no good for international/bunker trap ... nuff said.

Choke wise ... Mod, Imp Mod or Full is what is normally used. Mod or Imp Mod on the first barrel and Imp Mod or Full on the 2nd barrel.

#6 ·
I thought the big reason for NOT using an autoloader is you have to show open and empty to the scorer (judge?) when moving between stations. If you load two and take only one shot, you have to unload your autoloader before moving. Probably not a big deal, just a little less convenient than opening a break-open gun and pulling the unfired shell out.

#8 ·
You can shoot an auotmatic but in addition to the aformentioed problems with opening the gun between ststions you have the problem of the gun closure noise setting off the traps. You would be better off leaving the Autos at home. The best gun is a O/U choked Mod or Full (.25/.35). BTW where are you kids shooting this year?

Tom Baber

#9 ·
The automatic can be closed quietly by holding the opening bolt so it won't set off birds. The secret to not ever moving with a round in the chamber is to always shoot the gun empty; take two shots even if the first one is successful.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

#11 ·
any decent o/u choked im/full and that shoots fairly flat is the ticket. 30" barrels would be perfect. if you can find a flat shooting rem 3200 that would make a good bunker gun. if you don't want to buy a dedicated bunker gun most any sporting model would also work well as they generally shoot flat.
some excellent youth shooters working the bunker out at **** creek. come out on saturday/sunday and there are usually a few kids shooting it. we are hoping to host the junior olympics at **** creek next year, we will at least be submitting an application. lots of excellent young shooters in northern california and we have a bunker facility - why not give it a shot.

#12 ·
Hi Guys, re:the auto thing...I have a funny feeling that bunker rules do not allow for a gun/ammo malfunctions...if your auto 'hangs up' the target is scored 'lost'. My advice...go with any U/O that you can control for fast, accurate 2nd shots...you'll needem'. Cheers-Graham.

#15 ·
The SW Regional will be at Triple BBB July 7-8 and I'm planning to shoot (unless work interferes) so let's hook-up and talk as I know quite a few who shoot at **** Creek as well as participate in the major bunker shoots(as I have met a few who were in San Diego, Las Vegas, Kerrville and Colorado Springs). One of these days I will make it up to **** Creek and check it out. See you at the shoot.

Jim

#16 ·
jornski

The sporting O/U is the preferred choice for Bunker Trap (has to be able to shoot twice before reloading)....A good gas operated automatic, will work just as well on Bunker Trap but all automatics need to be cleaned between rounds....Please do not consider a Benelli for Bunker Trap as they will not handle the light loads and results in to many equipment failures that become losses....Chokes should be IM/F for low altitudes but they need to be opened up to IC/LM at upper altitudes like Colorado Springs (little or no water molecules in the air to open up the shot pattern).

After you get the proper shotguns for your kids, teach them a proper pre-shot routine for Bunker Trap, pickup some rubber pads for each sub-station of the trap field where they can get accustomed to resting the muzzle of their shotgun on between targets and practice with international shells on targets thrown at international distances.

#17 ·
Early 680 or 682 Beretta,Perazzi mx8 ,Kemen km4,or a lighter weight Browning would be my pick.Barrels in the 1500-1560 grams and 30"-32",3/4 and full chokes.Your right about the last 25 being single barrel Bill60,only problem is the first 125 are double barrel. All the best Ross

#18 ·
John,

Thank you and your kids for trying international trap. This game is one of the hardest clay bird games there is.

The XT is an excellent choice! While you do see many Perazzi shotguns folks do use others as well.

The rules do allow for the use of an autoloader however they do not allow for more than two gun malfunctions in a round. The standard seems to be an O/U. It seems that the top shooters do use Mod/Full but there are some variations to this so screw in choke tubes are very valuable. The best thing you can do for your kids is coaching. It is expensive but in the long run it will save you money .

Two shots are allowed during the match until the finals where only one shot is allowed.

Hope to see you and your kids in Kerrville, Texas soon!!

Jack Burch
Executive Director
U.S. Olympic Training Site
Kerrville, Texas
830-459-9215 cell
830-995-5118 office

#19 ·
The Florida State SCTP Qualifier will be held at the Gator Skeet and Trap Club on July 21-22. This is both for Trap and Skeet. Gator is the only club in Florida with an Olympic Bunker and as part of a recent upgrade now has NASTA Skeet machines that allow Olympic Skeet.

For further information and a program contact me at the above email address.

Tom Baber Gator Skeet and Trap Bunker Trap Chairman

#20 ·
We shot bunker for awhile several years ago. In bunker trap you are allowed two shots at EACH bird. There is no difference in score between the first or second barrel. There is nothing saying you hAVE to shoot the second barrel, but many shooerts shoot the "piece" in rapid succession in order to stay focused. I did shoot an auto, but it was frowned upon. There is an allowable failure to fire rule, but O/Us have the nod on reliablity. Also in bunker trap there are 6 shooters and the shooters rotate after EACH shot with the # 6 shooter in rotation behind the line. For that reason shooting an auto loader is very task heavy with the shooter having to load/clear after each shot before moving. One annoying thing about an auto is that the front walk is not "curved" like American trap. Since the shooters are directly abreasts of each other the auto ejecting a shell may hit the walk next to the shooter triggering the next shooters bird out of sequence. A good used O/U can be had for a reasonable price. It is the logacical choice for bunkertrap.

#21 ·
I dont know what bunker set-ups ya'll have shot but depending on the computer they have the capability to adjust the sensitivity of the microphones and out of 1000's & 1000's of rounds shot with an auto I can count on one hand the times the bolt has called for the bird.

The sport can be shot with an auto if you wish. Unless your using a field gun that can eject the shells 8 or 10 feet you really wont have a problem with shooter next to you either.

Taking 2 shots at each and every bird is a joke ... yes you are allowed 2 shots but why take the 2nd shot unless needed. Shoot-offs in international trap are shot as single shot only ... no 2nd shot allowed in a shoot-off. Practice to break the bird on one shot only and it will only improve your chances when you make it to a shoot-off.

Bunker trap is a humbling game to shoot and those that are shoot it regularly will find ATA far to easy. If you think your a great ATA shooter shoot a little bunker trap or true wobble trap to humble yourself back into reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.