1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bunker trap at Cardinal Pics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by motordoctor, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Here it is. Inside the bunker at Cardinal Center in Ohio. It's in and will probably be working soon. It appears the traps have all been set for distance and placement and they have thrown some targets. Waiting for the electronics and the puller stand. Should be up and running soon. Motordoc

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view¤t=cardinal1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view&current=cardinal2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Tom ... Mr Ingman, Mr Work, yourself and I are not standing up on line waiting to shoot the first round or should I say waiting to malfunctionly shoot the first round.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The one major flaw I see is that it's not a lot closer to the People's Republic of Eugene Oregon!

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Mr Dodd ... aint there a bunker out there that is run/maintained or shot at allot by one of them Oregon National Guard shooters?

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Perhaps you speak of Hillsboro but that isn't in my village either. Takes great wampum to find close bunker....BD

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I will be there for the Cardinal Shoot.

I hope there is time to try it out.

Looks like a fun game.

Don

7. motordoctor

Labor of love. They are that. What you don't see is the concrete ramp into the bunket that a fork life can place a complete pallet of targets into the doorway of the bunker then a pallet jack can move them around. Boy what a hot setup this is. The traps are adjusted each day to a specific pattern and that changes for I believe 8 days and starts again on the 9th day. each trap is fixed in a specific position according to the day like a play book for football. They do not move. This is one beautiful setup. It is all run by a computer that picks the targets for each specific station from one of the three per station traps. I can't wait to try this out. motordoc

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Bunkers can be profitable especially when you host shoots. Shooters help with scoring and refereeing so costs are a lot lower. Since everything is automated it takes less labor. We charge about 50% more than ATA. Its quality vrs quantity.

TB

9. JimE

JimE Member

Motordoc,

Thanks for posting the pics of our great new bunker. We started working on bringing International Trap to Central Ohio several years ago, and our dreams have been realized with the help of Cardinal Center and The Timken Foundation.

As you can see, it is nearly complete. The folks at Cardinal run quite an operation. A few things need to be done prior to the Cardinal Classic. We will be painting on Wednesday.
    Grading will be done later this week or early next. We will then be working on installing target setting devices. The computer and scoring stand can wait (a folding table will work in the short term). Long term plans call for covered shooting positions.

We plan on running the bunker Wednesday through Saturday of the Cardinal Classic and we hope all of you will give it a try. We may run it Sunday if we can get some assistance. Unfortunately, most of our help is heading out to the Junior Olympics in Colorado Springs. Bunker is a great shooting sport, very challenging, and goes hand-in-hand with ATA style. Don’t even worry about special ammo; shoot what you’ve got, although something on the faster side is to your advantage.

Our organization is Buckeye International Junior Shooting Sports, Inc, a 501(c)3 set up to teach gun safety and shooting skills to youth through the International Shooting Sports. We hope to help grow the next generation of International shooters, in addition to producing young adults that are safe responsible, and well equipped to take on the challenges of life. You are welcome to join in and shoot with us (the more the merrier!). We’ll have information about joining Buckeye and contributing to our cause!

Our website is under construction. The address is www.BuckeyeInternational.org.

We look forward to having all give it a try at the Buckeye Classic!

Jim Eyster for BI, inc.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jim...

Thanks for the information. Building a bunker is not easy. I have been involved with the construction of two of them. We just finished the cover on our second bunker a few weeks ago and I can tell you it makes shooting in Florida during the summer much more enjoyable. Did you get the coin operated system with the bunker controls? I am assuming you are getting the typical Electro Progretti system. Our latest system has the back up button on the microphone so its way to back up on a broken target. Look forward to making it up there for some of your shoots.

Tom

11. higun

higun Member

Will a bunker layout fit between trapfields that are 90 feet on center?

12. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Sportshot, when setting targets on a bunker, the proper protocol is to fix all fifteen machines to 0-degrees (straightaway), find the correct height for each machine's targets (as listed in the book of the nine official settings), then adjust spring tension to get the targets from each machine - at the proper height - to their designated distance. ONLY then are the angles set. So that's: Height, then Distance, then Angle. That's what I was taught. It takes longer, but if you're going to go to the trouble of putting in a bunker, it seems silly to cut corners on target presentation. Cardinal looks like a first class facility. -John W.

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Thanks John. Was logging on to tell Sportshot how to set a bunker when I saw your post. One last thing throw the radar gun in the trash.

Tom

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Thanks John. Was logging on to tell Sportshot how to set a bunker when I saw your post. One last thing throw the radar gun in the trash.

Tom

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

So, help me with my physics here. Does the bunker straight-away need to be thrown faster to reach the yard mark than the 60 degree high target?

Voolfie implied the answer in his post without saying it.

There are 9 schemes in international trap - each scheme sets target angle and height for each machine 1 thru 15. As voolfie said you set each machine to zero angle (straightaway) then set the height to coincide with the scheme then launch the target to travel 76 meters +/- 1 meter.

So according to scheme 3 the 1st trap needs to be set for a 30 degree right angle of 2.5 meters height. You set the trap to zero, set the height to throw a 2.5 meter target and see how far the target goes in relation to the 76 meter stake and you adjust spring tension from there to add or subtract distance. Once you have the target travelling the correct height and distance then you set the base to the 30 degree angle and lock it in.

A straightaway of 1.5 meter height is travelling faster than a straightaway of 3.5 meter height.

The ones you have to look out for are the 1.5 meter 45 degree angle targets - those babies require some movement to chase down the target. Out of the 9 schemes there are 5 of those bad boys. I would be really interested in the statistics of the kill ratio on that setting.

The schemes are contained at the back of the shotgun rules at the ISSF website.

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

As I recall wobble is set at 76 meters at a elevation of 2 meters at the 10 meter line

Tom

17. JimE

JimE Member

Tom,

Our set-up is ProMatic, so our computer system is the one that they provide, I don't believe it's the Electro Progretti system. We are looking at a card system. Some of our shooters didn't like the coin system in TX. The nice thing about the cards is that you can program a fixed number of targets, or just have it count the number of targets. The cards are waterproof and re-usable. I spoke with Allen Chubb at Nationals & he said a system will pay for itself in a year and a half. The card system that promatic sells is about $2500. Personally, I've used neither the card nor coin system, so I can't speak from an informed perspective.

Sportshot: A friend just installed a 'Universal Trench' in the Canton OH area. The targets are very similar to Bunker, and it only has 5 machines. I would guess that it costs 1/3 to 1/2 of what a full bunker would cost.

Jim

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Universal Trench is an interesting game but it's only a substitute for bunker. Cost is probably only about 30 to 40% less.

Tom

19. motordoctor

here is the link for the international trap rules. Look at the end of the list for the 9 diffferent setting patterns. click on the right side for clay target shooting and let it load then look near the end

motordoc

20. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, Not to hijack the thread, but to continue along the same line....I shot over an "Auto-bunker" some weeks ago....standard bunker layout, but a single automatic trap threw all the targets from 1 station. The advantage was that any number of shooters could enjoy the exact target presentations of a standard bunker...the disadvantage is that how ever many shooters there are in a squad line-up behind each other and don't get the chance to 'settle' themselves in the station before shooting. GREAT for practice by 1 or 2 people...crap as far as the full 'bunker experience' goes. FWIW. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.