1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bunker reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMR, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMR

RMR Member

I have just stared shooting bunker at my local gun club- it was a blast - now I want to start reloading bunker loads but am having difficulty finding much info.

I currently reload ATA loads: STS hulls, fiochi primers, clays powder, 8 shot, and claybuster wads.

I have been given a 24gm shot bushing for my spolar. The best I can find the STS hulls and the fiochi primers are ok. What Im not sure of is powder- Im understanding most bunker loads have a velocity around 1350. Should I still use the clays powder, should I go to international clays?? What about wad selection, and shot size( I have read 7 1/2 most common but some use #8)

any help would be appreciated

Bob R

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Clays is one of the best powders for 7/8 oz bunker loads. I load for the 13-1350 fps range.

Tom

3. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Down here {Australia] I load 20.5 grns Clays Universal[ we call it AS50 here] Win AA 24 gm wads , win primers into AA or STS cases for 1350 fps and only 8000 psi [ book figures] . Clays put pressures up around 10,000 psi

4. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Previous post substitute Clays International for Clays Universal for 24gm loads

5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I load on a Spolar with the 7/8oz bushing. The scale says I'm dropping 25 grams worth of 7 1/2 shot which counts out to about 12-15 extra pellets. I use both Winchester and Remington hulls with Winchester 209 primers, Clays powder and either Downrange or Claybuster wads. I can get the Claybusters at my local club, so that is the usual wad. Hal Hitchcock

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to the Hodgdon site. There is a boatload of data for 24 gram loads.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Remington hul... Fiocchi or Winchester primer DRXXL wad 24 gram lead 19.6 Promo.. 1330 fps 8600 psi Flawless

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon has 24 gram data for 700X, PB, and SR7625

they also have a lot of data for 7/8 ounce loads. International Clays, I think, was made for this kind of load.

Looks like there are a few moderate pressure loads with Titewad, and Clays, too, depending on what components you use.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use 8s for the first shot and 7 1/2s for the second shot, if you need it. HMB

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have.. from the very start of time.. mixed 7.5's and 8's.. Sometimes 8.5's if they are laying around my bench.. At 1330 fps.. they work well at any range I can hit the bird.. I take shells out of the equasion.. and shot size... Just put the lead on the target.. I can't really tell you what is best.. just EVERY shot I've missed in the last 5 years was ALL mine.. not the shell.. not the target.. and not a unseen chip.. Usually.. either behind.. or under..

A few years back..the was a "Sale" on 1 1/16th oz.. #12 shot.. 3 Euro a box..I had to try them.. I've never shot #12 in anything except a crimped 22 shotshell.. With full choke in hand.. I destroyed many a bunker target.. Even got a few 2nd shots.. While I would not make it common practice..A well plced shot.. and a full choke can and does work..

For what it's worth.. Most of the shells the Olympic team shoots are AA International #7.5's In Europe.. while they stock both.. the 7.5's are the most popular.. I see brand loyalty over there much stronger than shotsize..And.. same as here.. they save the really good stuff for regestered shoots.. and usually practice with the less expensive shells..

11. smoke100

smoke100 TS Member

Clays is perfect for bunker loads in the 1300-1350 range; International Clays, which was developed for bunker loads when heavier shot charges were legal, burns incompletely in 24 gram loads in this range giving erratic performance. I start with Hornady's data and adjust according to chrono data to achieve the above velocities.

A nominal 7/8 oz shot bushing actually drops less than 24 grams because bushings are calibrated with pure lead which is more dense than the high-antimony shot (ie, Remington Magnum) you should be using for bunker (to resist pellet deformation). I used a gram scale and carefully enlarged the 7/8 oz bushing in my Spolar to drop exactly 24 grams +-0.5 grams.

Winchester primers tend to be hot but work flawlessly in the Spolar so I use them exclusively. I would prefer Remington since I use only STS hulls but they are dimensionally different than Winchester and do not feed as well in the Spolar. Dickie Spolar can give you a fix but my experience was that you still get frequent primer mis-feeds.

With STS hulls, Winchester 12L or 12SL wads work very well - I prefer the 12SL as the shot load is completely contained in the shot cup. Claybuster equivalents also work well but seem to leave more debis in my barrels so I stick with Win.

Current manufacture Win AAs do not load well in my experience - the top of the wad sits higher in the hull than STS and I can't help but wonder if pellets are deformed when the hull is crimped. Since a uniform pattern is your best friend in bunker shooting, I stick to STS.

Hope this is helpful----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 24 gram reload for clays

bunker trap loads

powder bunker

reloading for bunker trap

shot shells for bunker trap
shotgun bunker loads
trapshooters 24 gram olympic reload