1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bunker choke recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Need advice from bunker shooters. Searched for and found a like new early, thick-framed 682 w/ 30" fixed choke barrels, no porting. Love it but then made the mistake of measuring the barrels w/ my new gauge from the Unloader. .722 bores w/ .027 and .037 chokes. Great for live birds but too tight for bunker? Thoughts?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That's pretty common. I use Perazzi #6 (0.024") & #10 (0.040") for Bunker. But I doubt your modern Beretta has 0.722" bore. Check the Italian proof marks on the barrel, that's pretty trustworthy, because they have very strict limitation on bore sizes.

BTW, don't get too crazy on the bore gauge, I had 3 bore gauges, from two makers, non of them agreed on each other, there're 0.001"~0.003" differences between the 3. Then I borrow two other gauges from my friends to compare all 5, the differences became 0.001"~0.004".

At that point, I don't know what to think, so I kept the one that matches the Italian proof marks most. If it's wrong, I'm with the official proof house.

IMO, bore gauges are only good for measuring choke constrictions at it's best. And this statement has been agreed by one of the most reputable/trusted member on TS.com (who has more bore gauges than me).

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Should be perfect for bunker. Use 8s on the first shot and 7 1/2s on the second shot, if needed. HMB

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You got the right chokes. Go shoot and have fun.

5. mflora

mflora Member

Thanks as usual. I can now sleep again.
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.