1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bunker & ATA Trap - can you switch off with succes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Turnpike Mike, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnpike Mike

Turnpike Mike TS Member

I enjoy shooting the Bunker but there is not one near me. If I shoot ATA Trap will it disrupt my Bunker proficiency such that when I do get to shoot the Bunker I will have to undo bad habits and re-learn timing?

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

The club I used to belong to had a bunker & I can say from experience that the two games are vastly different & didn't seem to complement each other. The bunker throws a much faster target at much greater angles. The bunker is fun for a change of pace & if you are not real serious about either game it certainly can't hurt anything. My observation was that the hard core ATA shooters didn't shoot the bunker & the avid bunker shooters did not shoot ATA, & some even made fun of American trap, calling it an old mans game. John

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I enjoy all Clay Target sports available in my area. American and Intl' Skeet, American and Intl' Trap, Sporting, and whatever delightful mischief I can get into with a clay target shotgun.

Having various suitable firearms for various disciplines makes it much easier. I have whittled down to three firearms. A 34"/32" Browning Unsingle Combo for ATA chores, a 30" Browning Spl Sporter for Sporting and both types of Skeet, and a 29 1/2" Perazzi Bunker gun for the obvious.

If you shoot Bunker with your portly American Trap gun, you will shoot behind and miss a lot of targets.

If you shoot American Trap with your incredibly responsive Bunker gun, you will likely blow through and miss a lot of targets.

Shooting another discipline will require some gear changing.

This is supposed to be fun!

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Interesting question. As shooting coach points out this is supposed to be fun so unless you have competitive aspirations in one discipline over the other then shoot them both.

However, without meaning to denigrate the great and popular sport of American Trap and its followers, my observations from following bunkers shooters who also shoot trap is that it is easier for bunker shooters to shoot good trap scores than it is for trap shooters to shoot good bunker scores.

How i wish we could get a group of AAA trap shooters to compete in a bunker event some time and see how they do - I'm sure they would score well as they are skilled pointers of the gun and that is what it takes to be successful.

Anybody game?

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Cat

The AAA shooters would have to dump their "Truck Axle" Trap guns and get a light weight flat shooting racer to shoot Bunker. A 32" O/U with 9+ lbs of heft is NOT going to get the job done.

A 9+ lb Trap gun is a thing of beauty on the American Trap field. Not knocking them, I have one, and it is treasured.

However, as in Golf, it is hard to play the whole game with one club. :^)

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Any good 27 yard shooter will ink Bunker targets with a trap gun. I did it with no problem. And I used a Ber. 680 ungun, with a .040 constriction choke.

7. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Does anyone have a list of the clubs and cities where bunker trap is available.
    I shot it once in Las Vegas, and really enjoyed it.

The only other ones I know of are the 3 in Colorado Springs for olympic training, and one in or near Kansas City.

Thanks,
    Jim

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cardinal Center in Ohio has a bunker trap system now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Harley,

There are several int he country now and more being built all the time. Gator in Florida, Cardinal, Some in PA., Kerrville, Texas has 5.

I have included our web page address for your consideration. You can go to USAShooting.com for more info.

We have been blessed to watch some of the best bunker shooters in the world and it is very different. I have only seen a few that shoot both and they do change equipment when they do.

Jack Burch

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

To answer your question-YES- need an O/U for second shot, it can be a trap, sporting, or any 2 shot gun of your choice. Bunker specs for shells are different than ATA shells, although some loads will work on both disciplines.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

shot410ga, didn't you break your first 25 bunker targets you ever shot at with that un-single? Or was it a 50? Great shooting regardless guy!!

Hap

12. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Thanks Jack for the info. I will go to those sites. I get all over the country, and this info will be very helpful.

Jim

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

A list of places to shoot can be found at

http://www.deadtargetschool.com/wheretoshoot.html

Another list of bunkers along with other useful information can be found at

http://www.shootingbunker.com/BunkerList.html

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Mike Herman one of our best bunker shooters ran a 300x300 at an ATA shoot two years ago with his bunker gun. A good shooter will do good at either game.

Tom

p.s. we have a great Bunker shoot coming up at the end of the month at Gator Skeet and Trap. Come on by.

15. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I only knew one feller who could shoot both games very well and he would take a couple of days to a week to work on one game before a major tournament and would only shoot one game at a time. He would not compete in both during the same period. The timing - and the amount of gun movement - is so different, I don't believe you can do both and be any good at either. Just my $0.02 -John W.

16. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Martinez Gun Club in Martinez, CA just finished a complete upgrade of their bunker. It's a great facility so come and visit it if you're in the area.(925) 372-9599

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A good ATA doubles shooter can quickly make the transition..as you get into the first bird QUICKLY and get out.. A singles ATA shooter who rides the target will be lost in bunker. As Coach said.. the 9 pound pipe ATA shooters flock to is the wrong tool. High 7 low 8 pound guns would be much better.. Fit must be exact. There is little or no think time. You just "do it".. When I was in Kerrville.. The 3 ATA shooters who came over to try bunker.. all did quite well.. once they got use to the target speed and vastly greater angles. All 3 were AA27AA shooters however.. Great shooters will always be great shooters..I however..am having a difficult time of it.. All Good.. Mike

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Mike... You coming to our bunker shoot at the end of the month?

Tom

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hap: It was 50 straight, first time. but I never did it again with that gun. I did do it again, quite a few times with a O/U 682 bunker gun. Thanks, for remembering that long discussion.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

shot410ga, I have a memory like a hawk and the eyes of an elephant, or the other way round?

I recall that long thread and the great feat you accomplished with your single barrel trap gun on bunker clays! Good job guy and that WAS an amazing feat!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.