1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

…BumpBuster or RAD II ?...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gold E, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I’m seriously looking into one or the other.

Which would you choose and why. (Please be specific)

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As a former Rad II shooter I believe the Bumpbuster has a comb that does not move when the gun recoils. That is a plus if I were to do it again. Jake

z520 thanked this.
  3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had Ken Rucker put a Rad II on my 682 before he developed his Bumpbuster, and a Bumpbuster on my Alfermann when I bought it. Both are fine units and work well to reduce recoil. I don't have hard reasons to prefer one over the other, but a call to Ken would certainly get you a detailed discussion of the similarities and differences. His number is 903-815-6535.

Whatever you decide you would have a hard time finding anyone better to install either.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And, I'll say that anything Pocatello or Ruck says you can put in the bank.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. buttermilk

buttermilk TS Member

Gold E:

I have one of each - a RAD II and a Bump Buster.

Tom Larkin installed the RAD on my single barrel five or six years ago. Ken Rucker put the Bump Buster on my doubles gun at this year's Grand. Both of these gentlemen do top notch work and both units work well.

If I were to install another reducer tomorrow, it would be another Bump Buster. There are two reasons.

1. The length of pull adjustment on the RAD is limited to 1/8" incremental steps. Changes are made by tightening steel set screws into shallow holes in the RAD's aluminum body. Over time, I have done some damage to the adjustment holes. I have seen other RAD's with similar or worse damage.

The LOP adjustment on the Bump Buster is much finer and IMHO more durable.

2. Both units allow the recoil pad to be adjusted up, down, left or right. The Bump Buster's pad adjuster is by far easier to work with.

I'm not sure I understand Jake's comment. A moving comb isn't part the installation on my RAD or my Bump Buster.

Buttermilk

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I believe Ruck now offers a unit similiar to a soft touch, where the comb moves with the butt pad. Don't know cost.

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Actually the pad does not move when the gun recoils. The RAD allows the gun to recoil rearward, the draw back is the comb travels rearward moving against the face. I understand Ruck designed the BB so the comb stayed stationary during recoil thus eliminating the rub on the cheek. Similar to the Soft Touch and the PFS. Jake

8. buttermilk

buttermilk TS Member

Gold E:

You can find good information on their respective websites. Search "Bump Buster" and "RAD recoil".

Ken Rucker is very good to work with and will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Before he created the Bump Buster, Ruck was the largest installer of RAD reducers in the country. He can tell you anything about either unit.

Jim

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jake,

Ken offers his Bump-Buster both ways. You can have it as a standard recoil system, or hooked into the comb. Just another way Ken's system is head and shoulders above what's out there.

ec90t

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

A few answers.....I developed the Bump-Buster after having installed some 750 or so RAD units. The Bump-Buster is a more robust design, is a little lighter in weight and has improved hydraulics over the RAD. The adjustments are positive and much more user friendly. The hydraulic cylinders I use are made by the same people who provide recoil reduction systems to the US Military for machine gun applications. It has the shortest stroke of ANY recoil reduction system available today. It comes in both a shotgun model and a rifle model ( higher pressure hydraulics to tame the nastiest calibers made). The rifle model is being field tested on a .50 BMG sniper rifle by a US Military supplier as this is written. Being in Texas, I do recoil systems on a lot of sporting clays and live bird guns. The RAD systems have not proven to be very durable where heavy loads are the norm, in my experience. The Bump-Buster takes them in stride. I povide a life time guaranty with my Bump-Buster as opposed to the 3 years that RAD offers. The Bump-Buster also comes in a variety of powder coated colors.

Coming soon will be the SOB ( Son Of a Bump-Buster) model specifically designed for semi-auto applications where all the other recoil systems available at present won't fit due to the limited amount of room in the stock. You 1100, SuperX and Beretta auto guys get ready!!!!

Ken Rucker

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've got a Soft-Touch on a Beretta 390/391 RL Parallel comb stock, short LOP, under 14". Works fine. Mo can do it!

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Not sure where goose is getting his pricing, but a fully adjustable Bump-Buster installed is $25 cheaper than I used to charge to install a RAD 2. I know what most of the RAD dealers charge and we are all within a few dollars of each other. I didn't see anyone's prices going down at the Grand this year and we were all there. I believe you'll find my pricing to be competitive. Thanks!!

Ken

John H. thanked this.
  13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Thanks for the input!

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gold E, another option would be a Clyde Slyde by Clyde Cameron. Dan Thome told me about this when I was looking last year. 1st class workmanship, works great, comb doesn't move and priced very reasonable. Last year it was $300.00 total including return shipping using my pad adjuster. Clyde's phone is 208/746-4486.
    Clyde Cameron
    1431 Hemlock Ave
    Lewiston, Id. 83501<br>
    ckcameron@syringa.net<br>
    Harv.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Just to follow up…I had Greg Hissem install a RAD II on a 680 Cole Custom I recently gave myself for being good this year.

Thanks to everyone for the input; not an easy choice since both appear to be good units. Perhaps I’ll try Rucker’s BB on something in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bump buster installation
bump buster review
bumpbuster
bumpbuster vrs rad

rad bap

rad vs bump buster
radbap
rucker bump buster reviews