1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bum Right Shoulder - Could This Be The End?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Some of you may remember my shoulder surgery a couple of years ago when I lived in Colorado Springs. I posted a few gruesome pictures. Looks like my shoulder was never repaired correctly or I just really continued to tear it up by shooting (almost sixteen thousand rounds this target year alone). I feel that among the torn labrum, torn bicep and shoulder spurs, something is wrong to the point of immobility and pain. I have an Orthopedic Surgeon appointment next week and it appears that I'm a perfect candidate for an artificial shoulder much like my TS.com friend grntitan. Do I give up shooting, golf and all the activities that I love but are detrimental to the shoulder? Or do I continue and expedite the life expectancy of the implant?

blade819

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Quit the golf. Bill Malcolm

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have shoulder problems too and am seriously thinking about shooting lefty.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Don't give up either, when your time comes you need to turn in a worn out hulk of a body, might as well use it as much as you can

5. thunder

thunder Active Member

Try a PFS with a Gooey Pad. Also go down to 7/8 at 1200 fps max or 1 oz 1150 pfs loads for Singles and doubles. For Handicap nothing over 1200 fps.

This combination has helped me for a few years now.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if these late life shoulder surgeries are still available in 2 years.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Setterman:

In another two years surgeries (elective or otherwise) will be so popular people will stand in line for them.

sissy

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I think not. Just the opposite. The "Gubmit" will soon see these surgeries cost too much, and a "need" program will determine if it is the best "investment" in your case.

Hope I'm wrong.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Good Luck! Get Well!

Kit

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

'Check the experience of your surgeon. Find out what Company that makes the implant. How new is the design, or is it a sucessful implant over the years. With the right surgeon your activities should not be hampared. I have been making hip, knee, shoulders, elbows, ankle and other implants for 45 years for the best and largest device manufactures in the world. In todays market and skills you should be fine. Just do a little research and find out the maker. Bill

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The more physically active you are on the replacement joint the faster you will wear it out. I agree that after you finish healing and physical therapy that you should be able to resume your previous activities with little to no difference in ability. That said the more you abuse the joint the faster it will wear out no matter who made it, who installed it or what brand name it is. I know folks that have worn joints out in less than 10 years simply because they live a very active lifestyle doing sports that are physically demanding on the joints. I also know some people who have got 15-20 years from joint replacements. The manufacturer of the shoulder joint I received told me to expect anywhere from 8-20 years all depending on my body and my post-op activities.

For what it's worth, I have a Zimmer Anatomical Shoulder which are tailor made to the patients anatomy.

12. blade819

I went to You Tube and found all kinds of stuff even actual surgeries via Webcam. However, the testaments are positive and overwhelming. I just want to be able to sleep un-interupted for a few nights. It seems that I haven't ben able to do that for a long time plus I'm a "side sleeper" ! getting xrays Monday morning, hopefully that'll explain something. Best advise for shooting thus far? Switch to shooting left handed. That'll take care of putting tape over my left lens but I'm afrais the other shoulder is going bad also.

blade819

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will probably need an MRI in addition to the x-rays to get the whole story. HMB

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My MRI was $2000 on my shoulder, haven't gotten the "adjusted" bill yet.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've had my should replaced twice and a total of 5 surgeries on the shoulder. I shoot, golf , swim and will continue to do so. fine a great surgeon and get it done, The last replacement took about a year to come back from but I was shooting with out pain in 2 months. I could not be happier, limited loss of range of motion and no pain!

16. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

John, Hang Up that 12ga. Just Start Shooting 28 or 410 in the Woods..We will take you out on Fridays..Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends in the Woods with Small Bore Guns. Bart

17. blade819

Thanks Bart. For those who have had shoulder problems in the past they know what I'm talking about when I say I'll do anything to get rid of the pain. It gets so bad that an hour of uninterupted sleep is good. That doesn't make for a very good life. I'm to the point that I would gladly give up shooting and golf just to have a few days of non pain. Getting ready to go to get xrays now and then see the Dr. on Wed.

blade819

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I got 100% pain relief with the replacement. It's the only surgery where the surgeon almost guaranteed I'd be pain free. He was right. I can even sleep on the replacement shoulder side with no ill effects in the morning. Sure it's not my God given shoulder but damn its nice to not wake up in the middle of the night to take a pain pill praying it works and fast. That's no life.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Blade,...dont give up though ...just do everything in your power to optimize your gear ...sounds like a good reason to have Dennis Devault do a really nice and super soft Beretta 20ga auto with a gorgeous woodset and big bore barrel w/adjustable rib...getting the most extreme softest shooter you can will keep you on the field and your shoulder from self destructing...and thats what its all about right as we'd hate to lose you

20. blade819

Just got back from xrays and I told the Radioligist that she was lucky I didn't turn her pretty white sheet "yellow" after she moved me around on the table. Hell ya might as well have a little humor along with the pain!

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.