1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bully: The Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Anybody see this movie yet and willing to offer a critique?

I hope to see it soon. Interestingly, I recently met up with a person who bullied me chronically and unmercifully for about half a year in junior high, over 50 years ago. He profousely apologized and we spoke a good deal. I think the fact that he was bullied and was a bully sort of took him away from enjoying life as much as he could..he is very intelligent and an ex-Marine; he joined the Marines at a very young age to get away from an abusive mother. It seems that he was being bullied and abused at home (as I suspected later in life) and had many issues to deal with. I was a "target" at the time for his actions; overweight and scared coming off of a badly broken arm a year prior to meeting him.

Therefore, as a former educator, I sometimes think a type of synergy, a critical mass, so to speak, leads to these existential problems and negative encounters. Bad luck.

Oddly, when the person spoke at length about his twists and turns in life, very openly, I felt the roles had been reversed during that initial meeting since I precipitated some painful memories. I told him I was glad that we both went on to have fine lives and I think we both profited from the encounter immensely. It was rather poignant to have filled in the spaces, and, oddly to lend some comfort to another individual who had been troubled years ago as he troubled me.

So..after this digression, I am curious about others' takes re. the movie. I have found trapshooters, in a majority, perhaps, feel that one who is bullied is just not "man" enough to fight back and/or must learn to fight back and "man up". Sometimes that is not practical or possible. Maybe I am unfairly stereotyping "us" as trapshooters at this juncture.

Bullying is a significant problem, and, alas, also occurs between adults and in the workplace. I also feel that bullying is more complex than just that there is a "good" and "bad" guy, but that there are almost always if not always unhealthy dynamics driving the unhealthy behviors. Dealing with it is more than merely meeting force with force, although there have been many occasions in the workplace where I, in restrospect, felt I could have done more.

Appreciate any other input re. this topic.

Los Angeles
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.