1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullsh*& Speeding Tickets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by little gambler, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Ever get a ticket that you wrote to the court and got out of????? What was your excuse? Did it work? What did not work?

65 in a 60 sounds out of line.......l.g.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

lg,

Just tell the judge that you were checking your vehicle speedo against the GPS (Garmin, Tom Tom, etc) indicated speed and there was a discrepantcy. With the police officers help, you figured out which one is in error.

ss

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A ticket for doing 65 in a 60 zone is a BS call. Bet it was part of a fill the quota ticket.

Eric

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't know how it is in your area...but here in So California, they will write you a ticket once you are 4 mph over the speed limit!

5. k810329

k810329 Member

i was cited in 1990 for doing 63 in a 60 in new mexico.the highway patrolman in a round about way said it was because i had california license plates.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Well, there you go.

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

When times get tough they'll write you for over 2mph. They DO have a quota, no matter what is said about it. Cop probably had a donut meeting to make in a few minutes and you just happen to be the person in line for his last ticket before going to it. Jim

8. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Anyone ever contested a ticket via writing to the court?........It was a rental car and the spedo was covered by my steering wheel.....legit excuse?

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My first question would be: How fast did the officer say his radar showed. It is common for them to cut some slack and state a lower number on the ticket. "Radar had you going 72 but I am going to cite you for 65 in a 60." Ron

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

when he asked you if you knew how fast you were going what did you say? I hope you didnt admit to speeding did you?

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Tell the judge you were on your way to a trapshoot. The only thing he will ask...7.5s or 8s. LOL

JON

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

I once asked for a change in schedule (court date), the cop didn't show up on that date, the ticket was thrown out.

There are services in our area that for around $100.00 they will make the ticket go away, as long as it's not something grave.

I dislike Cops with a chip on their shoulders.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Most states/districts/municipalities court systems have a "PBJ" program (Probation Before Judgment). The defendant may request a PBJ (if there is no history of bad driving) and most times it is granted. The defendant will pay the fine and court cost and as long as there are no offenses committed within the probationary period, the charge will be dismissed.

Like Andy, I dislike cops with an attitude. That of course is a 2 way street, as a Trooper, I disliked driver's with an attitude.

Curt

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a problem with all moving violations that are based upon the LEO's testimony alone. If someone would ask a Judge, why is one person's testimony given more weight than anothers ? For instance you could be in a parked can & for arument sake a officer pulls up and gives you a ticket for doing 40 in a 25. Your defense is the same as if you stopped for doing 65 ina 55.

The wildest ticket I ever got was in the real rural desert are outside of Mesa,Ariz. I was doing close to 90. A trooped passed me going in the opposite direction. I immediately pulled over & waited for him to show up. No lights, no siren. He told me you don't want to have an accident out in this wilderness. He gave me a civil citation for,"wasting fuel". He was a gentleman, & I really believe he was concerned for our safety. But he said if I was going over 100, he would have to arrest me because at that speed it is a criminal vuiolation.

Any states out there have that same kind of statute, where so many miles an hour over the speed limit become criminal in nature.

If so please post them for us shooters who do alot of road trips.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Each of my three tickets was for six to seven mph over the limit..72 in a 65, 57 in a 50 and 26 in a (unmarked 20). I figure with all the twenty to forty overs I got out of, I've been lucky. Just be polite, accept the blame (if you know you were over) and more likely nine out of ten times you'll get a warning. I never speed where I've been warned before.

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

It depends on if you live close to where you got the ticket. If it was in your state then go to court and ask for a meeting with the DA. That has never failed me. The DA has more important things to do and will plea bargain for something minor. If its out of state that is likely why you got the ticket. I would just pay it because it won't affect your liscense or insurance.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you are an out of stater your screwed. They like out of staters because they just pay the ticket. No court date. Its rare that they come back to fight it. Money in the bank. If you decide to fight it let the judge know it was a rental and you are not in charge of the care, repairs or maintance (sp) of the car.

I did that with a work van. The judge asked if I did anything to it and all I said was "I JUST DRIVE THE VAN SIR. IT IS NOT MY JOB TO WORK ON IT OR TO REPAIR IT SIR." I also had the van calibrated(sp) and it showed that it was off. I got off that one ticket but I will have to say he knew I did something. HE HE HE. It was an older van.

Write to the judge and show all the paper work from the rental place to prove it was a rental. Let him know that if something was wrong with the rental that you were not aware of it and that you are not the one that should be held 100% at fault. Its a shot in the dark and it might work. DO NOT ATTACK THE OFFICER. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. If anything thing just say he was a nice polite officer and he did a job well. Its worth a shot. Point out the facts with the paper work. That is all you can do. Let us know what happens and good luck.

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I doubt there is anything you can do- plus the truth of the matter is that you were speeding- maybe a lot faster than written

One chance- show up at the requested court date and if the policeman doesnt show up- the judge MAY but not always- throw it out.

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- some of the "advice" above must have been seen on bathroom walls--- its at least funny- but I do think some of the people believe it

19. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I can't speak for other states but in Indiana there is no quota. And further I have never heard of a state with a quota. There are punishments for inactivity in all venues of law enforcement. It is not too difficult to figure out who is lazy and who isn't.

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I did contest a ticket by writing....3 times for the same "offence". The ticket was for driving too slow in No. Cal. I did not pull to the side of the road to let faster traffic pass me. The only traffic behind me was the patrol car, and he was only there for about 1/2 mile.

I plead not guilty each time. Along with the not guilty, I included the state's hwy statues that proved I was not guilty. Actually the third time I asked if the officer had taken an oath before he appeared, because I believed he was committing perjury.

After that they said I no longer could appeal and they kept my $150.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.