1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullseye powder for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BuckGuru, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

I have several pounds of Bullseye powder left over from pistol loading and was thinking of using it up in trap loads. I want to load 1 ounce in STS hulls, green duster wads and Win primers, with a velocity of about 1100-1150 fps. I was wondering if anyone had tried anything close to that and if so, how were the results?

I emailed Alliant powder and asked them about this recipe and they responded that they never tested that combination, but suggested I try 16.5 grains to start.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BG, I think Neil has used it for some test loads? He may come along and share as he usually does. Hap

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I used it - just for fun - for 7/8 ounce loads for the first shot in doubles. The wad was either a WW "Gray" or a Claybuster 4100B - they seemed about the same, and I hovered around 15 or 16 grains. The bushing was one I never used before and I'm guessing 21 or 22 (but check it). (!!)

It worked fine as I remember, but all in all, no better (and no better fit in the hull) than Red Dot, and since I use Red Dot for most other things, and the crimps are a little better, I just used the Bullseye until it ran out and faded back to Red Dot with pink wad and a 29 bushing, a perfectly fine first-shot-in-doubles load as well.

If I had some, I'd use it up in a 7/8 or one-ounce load and figured I was loading with free powder. I wouldn't go out and buy it, though, because simpler is always better.

Neil

4. uplate

uplate TS Member

Buck I have used several 8 lb. kegs with your combination of components and
    about 16 grains of Bullseye with zero problems. The older Hercules guides had data for 1 oz loads. It is not recommended for 1&1/8 oz.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have used 17 gr with 1 1/8 shot for 10 years, no problems. WJ wad, Remington hulls, NO mag primers.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I used some after getting a recipe by emailing the company. This was with a green duster wad and 1 oz of shot. They worked fine. I don't remember how much powder which is why people write down what they do in a reloading log. I should do that.

7. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

fred, the actual response I got from Alliant is below:

<i>"We have not tested this combination. However, try about 16.5 to 17 grs
    and see how the crimp forms. If it is okay, then you should be good to
    go. I suspect that the crimp will dish in too much. Thanks for your
    note and let me know how it works out.

Ben Amonette
    Consumer Service Manager
    Alliant Powder Company</i>"

When I get around to it, I am going to try using 16 grains of Bullseye with my components for a nice wimpy load, since I am a wimpy shooter.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

This was primarily a pistol powder. It was great at 2.5 gr and .38 lead wadcutter. There were some problems with blowing up guns because this is a powder that you can double load easily and have a real KaBOOM... Be careful and follow loading data carefully. I have a friend who onetime picked this powder on his Grand Fathers Loading bench and by accident loaded it in some 12 gage. Blew the gun up.

Tom

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Copyright Alliant Techsystems, 1996...

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/crowstalker/?action=view&current=img009.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Mike,

thanks for the data, it should be very helpful.

I remember seeing that chart in one of my old reloading guides that I can no longer find.

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

You're welcome. A buddy of mine called once and was told to use any components he wanted, just load 1 ounce and 17 grains and only 17 grains. You can see that's supported by this data.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

This is one of the finest powders I have ever used for shotgun. Fed paper,SO wad,Fed 209 primer,7/8 oz #9. Watched my kid shoot 500 rounds at skeet targets in 2 hrs time with this load. John Shima was a 1 on 1 tutor. 4500 # PSI. I spoke with the Hercules head ballistician at a Shot Show about the low PSI level & he said Bullseye acts as a slower burning powder than Red Dot in many 112 ga loads. Contact me if you wish more information on the issue.

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Thanks for bringing this thread up and for some reason I didn`t see it or Bullseye didn`t come into play as it did today . Since I don`t load high velosity loads , this is worth trying in 15-16 gr of 1 oz #8 on Remington Hulls as I`m using now. I think the 15 gr of 700X is giving me 100 fps and a light recoil and I`d like to come down a bit more than that also. Plus it`s available and $10 less per 8# container. Yes , I have a scale and I`m very cautious but I will have to find the proper bushing is the 408 isn`t right I do have a 414 plus some custom ones .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.