1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullseye powder and 7/8oz loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'd like to load up a bunch of S&G 24g loads and I have plenty of Bullseye.

I have plenty of misc. Eurotrash hulls, F209A primers and various .740 Euro wads and I'd like to get velocity up +1250, and 1300 would be better.

It has been quite a while since Bullseye load data has appeared in Alliant or Hercules publications (and I'm not sure 7/8oz was ever mentioned, even then).

I have (published) 1oz Bullseye Load data showing 18gn, F209A, FGM, 12S0 for 1200fps & 7400psi.

Does 18-18.5gn sound about right for a 1250-1300fps, low-psi 24gm worm-burner?

Bob

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

why don't you swap out the Bullseye for Red Dot/Promo.. I have tons of data for that in 7/8oz..

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yeah, Mike, I like 20gn of Red Dot, too, driving 24gm, but I don't know any swappers.

I have plenty of PB & 7625, but I'd just as soon keep those for other uses, and Bullseye is a good, safe, fast shotgun powder, too. It's just not popular enough any more to make the publications.

Bob

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, give Ben a call at Alliant and ask him about a couple of Bullseye recipes? If he can't quote them, he can find them for you.

Hap

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Thanks Hap, I have a call and e-mail into him, but all my folks are gone tonite and I was going to do some loading since 'life' couldn't get in the way for a few hours.

Bob

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have lots of that old info but for AA,Premier,Fed paper. Nothing for Euro trash. With 17.5,SO wad,Fed 209 & Fed paper PSI was 4400. It always gave low oressures. I would call them

7. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

Isn't Bullseye a pistol only powder? I use 3.5 grains in 45ACP loads. I can't imagine what 18 grains would do in a shotgun! Please don't get on the same squad as me.

8. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

That is correct Indyrun, Bullseye is almost pure nitro. BE extemely carefull!!! Jim

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bob, when I used Bullseye in 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads, it seems to me I used less than 14 grains which was a low 20's MEC bushing as I remember. Even Claybuster 4100b wads were too short. I'll look and see if I have any boxes left; they will say what's in them.

Neil

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IndyRun & RimfireJim, Bullseye is an excellent - if old - fast powder, and has always had a good following in 1oz loads. Obviously, it is a good pistol-powder, too, and that's mostly what folks use it for nowadays.

There are 'better' (newer, more popular, different burn characteristics, etc.) powders now, but it does not mean Bullseye is not, still, job-rated. And, of course, all my Bullseye came from deceased pistol-shooters.

[​IMG]

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Lyman number 3 list Bullseye for 1 once loads at 17.5 with about 8000 lup in the 1190fps range.

I used it to load 3/4 and 7/8 for kids with light recoil. 13 grains, with 9 shot. I had to use a 20 filler wad for the 3/4 load.

goatskin you can squad with me. BTW I got the light loads from Alliant.

Ajax

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bob, I found a box of 7/8 oz loads which went about 1200 fps. The hull was AA, the primer Federal 209a, and the wad one of these amazingly complicated Italian jobs, probably a gift from Ron Baker.

The powder weight was 16 grains and the bushing was a 21!

Neil

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ajax, Neil ... thanks a bunch.

16gn in a AA will be abt 17gn in a FGM with one of those Italian wads ... fits ... perfect!

Bob

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yup ... the recipe was where it is supposed to be.

Using a mixture of Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls, and T-2, G-1227 and VP-05 wads; F209A primer, 17.2gn & 25g of hard 8s, chrono readings ranged between 1280 & 1320, giving a 'real' velocity of ±1275 (or so) out of a 28" IC barrel.

Thanks, all.

Bob

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Most shotgun powders are used in pistols. Most pistol powders can be used in shotguns.

Nothing but published recipes for sure but the required burning rates for both disciplines are similar.

For instance 4.0 grains of Clays behind a 200 grain SWC bullet is an excellent 45ACP load. Accurate and clean, it is very popular.

16. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Goatskin; does your book have any loads for 2400 powder? I use the .410 load already. Have a bunch to use up. Thanks for update on bullseye. Jim

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ben Amonette and I finally got to talk yesterday, and I gave him my results and the process by which I got there, and he kissed it. He said anywhere between 16 & 17.5gn would work fine with 7/8oz, but he wasn't real confident the smaller drops would cycle an auto, and it was liable to be a little smoky, regardless.

I told him that between shots, I pointed my barrels down to let the clinkers fall out, and besides, I cleaned my guns once every couple of years, whether they needed it or not.

Jim, I'll look in my old Lymans and such, but you might go over to the reloading boards on SGW and search the archives. There have been at least a couple of threads on 2400 that I remember.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bullseye powder for shotshell reloading

bullseye powder loading for shotgun

bullseye powder shotgun

bullseye powder shotgun loads

bullseye shotgun load data

bullseye shotgun loads

bullseye shotshell loads

data bullseye