1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bull’s-eye! (Trap Club Article)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Bull’s-eye!

By Patrick McClary
    Longmont Times-Call - CO

BERTHOUD — Pull!

Jerry Steigerwald waits a moment as the voice-activated rig launches a black and red disc about the size of a hockey puck through the air. He steadies his rifle, follows the disc (referred to as a bird in trapshooting) and fires. The disc explodes in a poof of red dust, pieces flying in every direction. He does this 25 more times to complete his round. Every time, he activates the automatic launcher and takes aim.

Many around trapshooting liken it to golf. There’s an etiquette and respect for the sport and its participants that’s similar to golf. Extreme concentration is necessary to be successful. A steady hand is a blessing. Most of all, the sport provides people an opportunity to get together and spend time with like-minded people.

“It’s a great sport,” says Steigerwald, 54, who lives in Mead. “It’s relaxing, and it’s fun. That’s most of it. I’m up here two to three days a week and usually, the same guys are up here.”

At the Berthoud Gun Club on Larimer County Road 1 in Berthoud, the clubhouse is situated in front of the 300-yard range with two roofed huts sunk into the ground out front. Those are the trap huts, which launch the targets. Inside the clubhouse, two tables are set up and are teeming with activity. One table is full of men playing cards, the other with more men chatting. This is a typical Tuesday afternoon, one of two afternoons a week that the range is open to the public. Some are members of the club and some have just come to take advantage of the open range. Everyone is there for the camaraderie.

Jay Bristol is the youngest member of the crowd. Although just 21, Bristol is one of the most experienced and skilled shooters at the club. His father, Kevin, runs the range those two afternoons a week. Kevin taught his son to shoot a gun at an early age on the family’s farm in Berthoud. When he was 8 years old, Jay began shooting with the local 4-H club. Now Kevin and Jay both agree that the younger Bristol is the better shot.

“I went to the first practice (at 4-H when I was 8), and it’s been downhill since then,” said Jay, who used to swim and play football and baseball for Berthoud. “I got down to it where I was never home between work, school and sports. I liked shooting.”

Today, Jay participates in competitive shoots throughout the Midwest. Sport shooting has become a popular sport throughout Colorado, with competitions in trapshooting, skeet shooting and sporting clays being offered throughout the year. More than 30 clubs based in the state are registered with the Amateur Trapshooting Association (ATA), totaling about 650 members.

The best thing about the sport, the Bristols say, is how easy it really is.

“If you know how to handle a shotgun, it’s not too difficult,” Jay said. “It takes practice like anything.”

Like golf, shooting isn’t a cheap sport, but one can make it as expensive or inexpensive as they’d like.

A gun can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand.

After buying a gun, one round of 25 targets will cost about $11, with the targets themselves costing $6 and shotgun shells costing $5.

Despite being a former athlete, Jay said that one of the sport’s appeals is that you don’t necessarily have to be in shape to be good.

A six-pack is not a necessity nearly as much as a steady eye and steadier hand.

But what’s been most rewarding for Jay is the camaraderie.

He’s competed for the national shooting team and won prize money, but still, his love for the sport is as much about coming down to the range and hanging out in the clubhouse for good conversation and a game of cards.

“In high school, you’ve got your clicks and they don’t grow up as quick,” Jay said. “I’ve grown up more quickly than most.”

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Caught the rifle mention. Wonder what caliber he used??

26! I missed that part and had to go back and re-read it. Good catch!!

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

puff of red dust not "poof"

trap huts don't launch the targets, the trap does

it's clique not "click"

it's 6 pack abs, not "6 pack"

The worst of all: $5 shells. Where?

I don't see evidence of a Journalism School in this writer's education.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Give hin a break. The article may have been written by a non-shooter.It is an article that has a positive tone about our sport.I caught the 26 also but we all make mistakes,look at some of the posts here, can you honestly tell me there are no spelling or typo errors.The writer probably doesn't know the technical differences between a rifle and a shotgun.We should be glad there was a positive article in the Longmont Times about our sport, not like gunners getting slammed again. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.