1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bullets

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by ken a, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

0   0   0

I need a reasonable source of 38 cal bullets to reload for target shooting. I have reloaded shotshells for years but never pistol ammo. The cost of new pistol shells seems to have gotten out of hand for plinking so your suggestions and ways to cut costs would be appreciated.

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

0   0   0

38 special, I'd go with hard cast or perhaps swaged(depending on barrel leading and velocity). 357 mag, I'd choose Hornady jacketeds hands down.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Lead is cheapest but also the dirtiest for yourself and your gun. I use the plated bullets such as Berry or Ranier. Glad to see somebody else getting into the great 38 special.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The most popular and least expensive target load for the 38 special is a 148 grain lead wadcutter bullet with 2.7 grains of bullseye powder. This is a clean shooting accurate load. HMB

5. Reinz

Reinz Member

0   0   0

If I may offer a different opinion from Deercreek. I'm not calling him out, just offering my veiw from a little bit of experience with lead.

Unless you think that every round fired out of your pistol must be at absolute maximum velocity, then yes maybe jacketed is "cleaner".

If that's the case, why beat your gun and yourself up?

I made that mistake in my teens and twenties with 44 mags. Now I have permanent nerve damage from the tips of my fingers all the up to my shoulders. Lots and lots of pain.

Max velocity does not equate to accuracy. Every now and then a max load may be best in the accuracy department, but that is not the norm, at least with pistols. I will admit, I not much of a hi power rifle guy. That is my "weak" gun.

The fun factor may be there for some with hot loads, but not for everyone.

And besides, Hard cast lead will just about cut your bullet costs in half or very significant.

The main trick to prevent leading is proper sizing NOT hardness like some bullet companies will have you believe.

As I said, just offering a different opinion from my experience of shooting 15-20,000 lead bullets a year - with no leading what so ever - in pistols and pistol caliber rifles.

Good Luck

Stormy

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

+1 on hard cast bullets for the .38 spl!

148 gr wad cutters for target and 158 semi wad cutters for all around shooting.

Since I buy Red Dot in 8 lb jugs, I use it instead of Bullseye.

On time with swaged bullets was enough for me!

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I said PLATED and NOT jacketed. If fact I do not load anything near max except for hunting loads. The plated bullets can be loaded just like lead and they are much cleaner to shoot. Can anybody point out somewhere in my first post where I mentioned maximum velocity.

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

0   0   0

I have loaded the load suggested by HMB for many, many years. (2.7 grs Bullseye with 148 gr lead semi-wadcutter).

Comfortable to shoot and makes a clean hole in the paper.

While I haven't for some time now, I mold my own bullets as well using wheel weight metal for the most part. Actually I use the wheel weight metal and add some 50/50 bar solder and this gives me very close to what is known as Lyman #2 metal.

Good luck.

Allen

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

These people used to be good to deal with. Their prices are per 1000, and I believe shipping is still free. They seem to be having somewhat of a supply problem for some bullet types, so I would either try to talk to them directly at first, or place a small order initially. Good luck.

10. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Where are you located or as some says "Where you stay"?

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

0   0   0

ooops!! I spelled mould wrong. MOLD is a type of fungus or something and MOULD is what I use to cast bullets. (I just don't proof read as good as I used to--sorry!!).

eak.......

12. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

0   0   0

lead for alot of shooting,jacketed not so much.
    load both,shoot the lead first ,then some hot jacketed will kleen out your barrel.

[oooppsie I meant "clean"]

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

0   0   0

I cast .38 bullets. Lots of fun and I end up with very cheap shooting.

Other than that, Montana Gold is the place to purchase jacketed bullets. Most of the competition folks use their products and the price can't be beat...

cap

14. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

0   0   0

Bullets cheap and very good product at Mastercast Bullets . COM(goggle them)can't beat prices or product.Jim Bowlin Mastercast.net has great bullets also. Both guys names Mike,both good guys.

15. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Missouri Bullets usually has excellent prices and always good service if you want lead bullets. I haven't dealt with Mastercast, but they have a good rep on web.

K

16. ken a

ken a Member

0   0   0

Thanks for providing the suppliers and loading info. I should have mentioned that I have some titegroup powder for reloading shot shells that lists a recommended 3.8 gr with 158 gr cast bullet for 38 specials. Has anyone used this powder for reloading pistol loads as I have a couple pounds on hand? One thing about this site you get great help. Thanks Ken

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Now I've loaded shotshells for many years and know whats involved reloading there. But I've never loaded pistol cases before so I'd have to study up abit. What would my cost per box of 100 be if I reloaded??? I believe the walmart cost per 100 is around $30 now. Also What would a good reloader run as well as all other needs. I believe I would need a tumbler??? Anything else to buy??? I have a scale!!! I'd say something like a Mec 600 Jr. would do for the volume I would shoot. Not looking for high volume as it were. Thanks for any info. break em all Jeff

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

You can save a bunch of money in reloading your own pistol ammo. The biggest saving come from using cast lead or copper plated bullets and to get the very best prices on these you need to find a local source because shipping really adds to the cost.

Best bet is to attend a local SASS match or IPSC type shoot and ask some of those guys where the are getting their bullets - odds are there is a local bullet maker near you.

Casting your own bullets is the ultimate in cost reduction but there is several hundered dollars of equipment that you will require not to mention a source of suitable lead. (big problem these days). I use to cast my own .38/.357 bullets and loved the Lyman 358156 mould. With a gas check, these bullets could be shot at full throttle .357 velocities with no barrel fouling - very accurate too. Back then I was loading a box of .38 special for about the same price as .22 rimfire- something like $2/50 if you didn't count the many hours of labor that I had in it.

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Still looking for today prices for loading the 38's and the cost of all the equipment I'll need as well. Is the reloader and tumbler the only 2 peices I'll need or is there more. I will be buying my projectiles in a one lump sum from Gamaliel with the powder I'll need. I may end up buying everything from them at one time as well to save on shipping. thanks break em all Jeff

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jeff, you don't need a tumbler.
    Just a basic C press would be fine for pistol calibers.
    I would spend the extra money for carbide dies.
    Press and carbide dies, powder measure, case trimmer would be the basics. $250 - $400.

Not counting your time you can easily save ½ by reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.