1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullet stuck in barrel...Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SONO MAN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Hello everyone. Yesterday a 38 wad cutter bullet stuck in my 6" barrel of a Rossi 357 mag. It is about 1" from the muzzle. How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your inputs.

Peter

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Drive it out with a wood dowel from the front end .

3. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Guys, thanks a lot. I think that drilling will work fine.

Peter

4. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Drop in several drops of a gun oil at the muzzle.......Then take a wooden dowel as large in size to fit at the muzzle.....Cut the dowel a few inches longer than the barrel.......Then insert the dowel at the muzzle & just tap out with a hammer or block of wood......It should come out easy........Pete

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember once being at an IPSC shoot when I had a "dud" with my Series 70 Govt. Model. One of the scorers pulled this huge 12 penny nail out of his pocket, stuck it down the muzzle, then began banging the gun, muzzle first(and nail head first) down onto a picnic table. Seems like it took about 5 whacks, then they let me finish the event. Wasn't as bashful about knocking them out after that, though I did have some aluminum rods turned for both .35 and .45 for the next time.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I modified a small gear puller one time to remove a stuck bullet. I used a few undersized aluminum rods in successive lengths and pressed them in from the muzzle end, using a block with a hole drilled in the center, behind the barrel to pull against. It came out very easily without any damage to the gun. If you have access to an arbor or hydraulic press, you could rig something up that way also.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The wooden dowel will work just fine, lead slugs aren't that hard to push out.
    You wanna mess around with a drill inside your barrel well go ahead its your gun. But after you get tired of that just get the dowel and tap the slug out.

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Do what plabels466 said.

No drills. Go down on the Mohs Scale in whatever you stick in your barrel, not up.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I always have a wooden dowel rod in the range bag just for that purpose. It is easy to drive out a bullet. drills and nails, good grief.

10. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Peter

11. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

I HAVE to...

A 12D (penny) nail is only 3 1/4 inches long, 9 gage.

A 60D nail is just 6 inches long...

Jed

12. TC

TC TS Member

Probably used a gutter hanging nail. They would be about the right size.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

use hardwood dowls cut into short lengths Aprox 5"-6". Less prone to break.
    You can also use Zertyl<spelling?) [lastic rods or punches. I have a set of these in roll pin form. They are very tough and will not ding the metal.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Not to hijack, but closely related...

As a newbie just beginning to get into the hand gun thing, I have to ask.

What happens when the bullet fails to clear the barrel? What does it sound and feel like in both a revolver and pistol so I'll know if it ever happens to me. I assume there's a butt-ton of blowback and the report is very abnormal. Is recoil noticeably reduced also leaving no doubt that something is very wrong?

With my relative inexperience, this sounds kind of scary and much more serious than having a wad stuck in your shotgun barrel.

Please forgive me if these are stupid questions--better asked than not, I've always believed.

Can I safely assume this is primarily caused by faulty reloads, i.e. light powder drops?

I recently bought a 4" .357mag Security Six and a brand new S&W 1911DK .45acp. I'll use them both for targets (not carry), and will reload my first SWC rounds after the Grand on my Dillon SDB.

With the employment of above average attention to detail, use of premium components, and a newly factory reconditioned Dillon, what are the chances of this happening to me?

Guy Babin

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Jed and TC,

Thanks, haven't been to the lumber yard in 50 years, so I was just guessing. Thought maybe 12 penny meant 12 pennys width/length? It looked like the size I used to buy to build my "forts" when I was 8-11 years old. Whatever it was, I'll bet my eyes were almost as big when I saw what he was going to do to my Colt. I was just a Tyro back then, had to go with the flow. Also did learn a lot about muzzle control after being yelled at a LOT. Thanks for your help.

16. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Do NOT use a drill. You could easily damage your gun. The wooden dowel is the way to go. Had one get stuck in a .45 once. Colonel

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Guy, a suspect round feels much weaker, quieter and lighter than a normal round. If you ever have a round that doesn't produce the ordinary amount of recoil, open the cylinder, and ensure the barrel is clear.

Skippyd thanked this.
  18. willing

willing Member

Guy
    Most of us handloaders have had it happen. Just NO powder, the primer does the job. The dowel is the right way. So easy!

Bill

19. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Funny story:
    I buy German Lugers and one day a fellow called and said that he had one that his dad brought back from France that he would consider selling. He mentioned that either his brother or he had stuck something, a bullet, in the barrel. Is the barrel bulged?, I asked. Yes a little, he answered. Never able to not buy a Luger, I went over and he pulls out a nearly mint artillery Luger with orig. holster. And yes the barrel was mildly bulged, to which the seller reluctantly admitted responsibility for, no longer able to blame his long-deceased brother apparently.
    So I bought it and took it home, determining that the obstruction was about 1" from the muzzle but extended back about 2 more inches. So I tried driving it out from either front or back. No go. So I used a centering punch from the muzzle and then drilled thru with an 1/8" drill. Then I fashiioned a steel rod just under 9mm in OD that was long enough to go in from the back, duct taped it up and put it muzzle down on an anvil and using a 4 lb. hammer, I was able to drive all 3 bullets out. The bore is good but does have a ring inside where it has swelled. That night at the shooting range I sort of stood behind a wall and reached around to fire the first few rounds, but it fires fine and is as accurate as any of them.
    Still have it. And the 3 bullets.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    dju

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Ahhh, just the bbl off about 2" back from the muzzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jammed bullet in clip fed gun wrong size

put wrong bullet in gun and now its jammed