1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullet Molds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jojo1234, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojo1234

jojo1234 TS Member

What is the best bullet mold for 38,45,9mm. Thanks for your help.
    John

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

38...Lyman 358156 gas check or 357446, both "Keith" almost type, first with gas check and both with two crimp grooves for either 38 or 357 cartridges. 45, H&g 68, Lyman 452460 for swc, RCBS 45-255KT for Colt or heavy acp loads, 452374 for a hardball duplicate in lead.

9mm, anything that feeds but the old truncated cone works good in my Beretta and Smith and a friend's Taurus.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

LBT, Lead Bullet Technology makes the best bullet moulds bar none. Veral Smith's designs are the ones every one else copies. The Lyman and the RCBS mentioned above are very good and certainly will do the job. But you asked about the best and LBT is the real deal. Veral's moulds cast and release perfectly. His sprue plate design completely eliminates voids and smearing. You really need to check him out.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I agree with a LBT mold, I have a few and a LBT hardness tester from 30+ years ago. When did Veral get out of the slammer?

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best, back in the days, were the Hensley and Gibbs molds and the old SAECO Meehanite molds. Like a dufus I sold my 10 cavity H&G mold. I produced 10's of thousands of wadcutters with it. Without weighing bullets, that mold would produce wadcutters that would group into 2 1/2" at 50 yards for 50 shots out of a Clark Longslide. I still have some H&G molds and a SAECO.

You can sometimes find H&G molds on Ebay. The newer SAECO molds are not made out of Meehanite and are not as "good".

Melt type and consistency is important for the best bullets. It affects weight and diameter. Sizing is also important. You do not want to over work the bullet .001-.002 is all you want to reduce it. Finished cast diameter can be adjusted with melt properties. (Higher Lead content shrinks more, higher Tin and Antinomy shrinks less) The Star Lubri-sizer is the best and you can buy dies accurate to .0005" for it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Above is a link that may help you.

Don Verna

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Veral has been out for a couple of years now...maybe 5? He had to go back for a short haul due to some stupid processing error during the orignal sentence. Any way, he's making moulds again and they are as good as ever. His wife however, is seriously ill. he asks for prayers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hensley & gibbs bullet molds