1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bullet Case Stuck In Resizing Die-Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkimbler, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I was resizing brass for a 22-250 Ackley Imp. cal. when the base of the case broke on both sides of the base, leaving the case up in my die. I have tried several things. but have failed. I only have about 1/4" sticking out of the die.
    If you apply vise grips or such, you just break off more of the case.
    Any experience or suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    David

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

You must be new to reloading....the solution is a "STUCK CASE REMOVER". Anyone who reloads metallic cartridges should own one as a matter of course. It is a round, internally relieved base that fits over your die and uses a puller screw to pull the stuck case out of the die without damaging said die. It comes with a tap and drill bit to tap hole in the cartridge case base for the puller screw.

Ken Rucker

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Go get a stuck case removal tool or you will be buying a new die.

jim brown

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A stuck case remover is what you need. RCBS and others make one. Doing anything else can cause damage to your die. Essentially, you drill a hole where the primer pocket is and tap the hole for a screw. Using a special washer or cup that provides clearance for the case head, you would ease the case out by using the screw. Some dies might have a decapping rod that is stout enough to screw down on the case and press it out. That isn't a great idea either, but has worked in some cases where the case was not severely stuck. Mash the link above or copy and paste the links below for some information and help. In the fututre, remember to lube your cases properly.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ProcTapStuckCaseFromDie

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=11296

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_50/ai_112128002/

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0032403215915a.shtml

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

He said the base of the case pulled off. I'd like to see you drill and tap the body....lol

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

If you're sure you cant get it with pliars etc. try this: (kinda like getting a stuck cartridge out of a pull type shower faucet). See if you can build up a few washers with center hole larger than shell case but small enough to bear against base of die. Try some sort of expanding sleeve etc. as used in concrete (if you can find them narrow enough). Put a nut on the bolt so that you can turn the bolt and bear against the built up washers as the bolt pulls on the case. Try liberal application of penetrating oil first.

Don't know if it would work on such a narrow application but it's a cheap experiment.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can thread the inside of the stuck case with a tap. Then screw a bolt into the case. Lock the head of the bolt in a vise and then use a block of wood and a mallet to knock the die of the case. HMB

8. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I have had this happen to me a couple of times recently, a stuck case remover consists of a #7 drill bit a 1/4x20 tap a spacer that will clear the outside of the stuck case, a 1/4" bolt of the correct length.

You start by drilling into the primer pocket completely through,then tap the hole, then set the spacer over what is left of the case, insert the bolt through the spacer and screw it into the the threads you just tapped,when you tighten the bolt it draws the case out of the die,

If you are recorceful you can find everything you need to make your own tool at your hardware store without ordering anything from the gun store.

Fred J

9. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

It may be a lot easier to just mail the sizing die to the manufacturer. They will usually remove it at no charge. Then reread the chapter on case lubrication.
    Joe Jordan

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Dry ice. Post-2

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

There are several types of stuck or ruptured case removal tools. The drill the primer pocket type is just one. You can also use those designed to remove ruptured cases from the rifle chamber. Be careful with home remedies. Any damage to the surface of the die will ruin it. I have bought enough replacements to know.

jim brown

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd be concerned as to why the head pulled off......Your brass is talking to you.

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

About the only option that you have is to buy or borrow a .223 case removal tool. The tool us used when cases seperate in the chamber of a rifle. The front of the tool goes in past the top of the case and then expands to pull against the top of the case. IF you can get the expander and decaping pin out of the resizing die you can use a punch against the case removal tool to drive it out. I have done it this way when I failed to have enough lube on the case. Good luck! Bob

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

One you get it the die cleared out, learn to use Imperial sizing wax or Dillion makes a spray on lube. With the Dillon Lube, you wait a couple minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and the case will not stick. With the Imperial sizing wax, keep some on the fingers of your left hand and twist the case as you load it into the press. I learned this the hard way. Good Luck

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

claybrdr

By the description, it sounds like the rim was removed and not the case head itself.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can use a 3/8 drive socket and turn a 1/4-20 bolt (with washer) into the tapped hole you made in the primer pocket if you don't have the tool. works just like a gear puller.

dose with Kroil first, that stuff works wonders.

Use HOrnady One Shot from now on and you will not have any more stuck cases. It works even after it dries.

HM

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

A 1/4" bolt, 1/4" fender washer, a 3/8" drive socket in the appropriate size to ride over the stuck shell, but not over the end of the die, should be all you need to make a puller.

Andy.

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

If you have pulled off the case head and have nothing left to tap you have two options. You can use a brass rod that has been sharpened on one end. Using a small hammer, tap this between the case wall and the die wall. Lube it first of course but drive it in deep enough to partially collapse the case wall. Then use needle nose pliers to grip the case and twist it out. That's option #1. Option number 2 is to send the die back to the manufacturer and have them remove it. They can do it easily enough and there's almost no cost to you if it's RCBS or Lee.

19. B.C.

B.C. Member

use an easy out !

20. docl

docl TS Member

I think an easy out combined with heating the die in and oven to 250 degrees or so and then cool the brass with dry ice or some liquid nitrogen and then use the easy out. Lewis Lyons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bullet case removal pliers

can you drill out a stuck cartridge case

how to get a bullet out of a resizer die