1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulging crimps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Soon shooting at our club starts up again after a 2 month layoff. As I was getting things ready I noticed that some of my reloads from during the winter have developed bulging crimps. They're not bad enough that shot is leaking, but still bulgy. I guess I need to adjust my MEC 9000 to hit them a little harder. It's just a few shells (so far) but my question is if these are still ok to shoot.
    ??

Thanks
    Bruce

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

They are fine . You can recrimp if you like .

3. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I've noticed when some of my hulls get old, worn, and split they don't hold a crimp for long periods of storage. As long as no shot is coming out they're fine.

Joe

4. emm2

emm2 Member

I had the same problem when trying a different wad. The wad was being seated with to much wad pressure and after time the wad would spring back a little and cause the crimp to bulge.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Cap, do they sound and feel the same as the others? Do they go bang really loud and kick like a mule? You may want to cut one or two open and weigh the powder charge to see if it is in the acceptable range. If so, shoot them.

Mike

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

emm2 is on target with the wad pressure

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

capvan- Is it possible that you are trying to put too much stuff in too little space. If you do have to compress the wad to get the crimp to close, there might be a component selection problem.

Pat Ireland

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, as I said, this occurs very rarely. I'm using a 1 oz. load in an AA hull with that floursecent green hull from Downrange (I think it's downrange, it's in my detached shop) and 16 gr. of clays.

I probably do tend to load hulls that are past their prime, to say the least. MEC 9000 machine.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

put a small piece of masking tape over the end so that the shot does not roll out the barrel when you are waiting to call for a bird. I have has old, nasty hulls open in storage, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bulging crimps