1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulged Browning Barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I'm posting these pictures for good ol Yukon who had a bit of problems with his Browning the other night. If you notice the porting has been bulged. I will let him post his questions.

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Yukon4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Yukon2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Yukon1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

My question is: Would you want to stand next to him while shooting this barrel?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just a thought. How about having a gunsmith mill from the buggered hole back toward the breech, connecting it to the next hole. May look funny but should be usable.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The steel below the bulged port looks a little warped in the pictures. I'd be as concerned about that as the bulged port. (Third port back from the muzzle, on the bottom row).

Best,
    Dennis

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The ported hole looks more as if something as hard as the bbl itself upset the metal.

It doesn't appear to really be "blown-out", more like beat out. You weren't shooting any steel shot were you?

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Have Briley shorten it and install tubes. Not the cheapest fix but workable. Or--Put it in a rack at every shoot you attend with a note that Browning will not stand behind this. Won't help you but it will prevent someone else making the same decision to buy one. Show the quality of their products. The bad press it will cause Browning might convince them to change their decision.

Big Jack

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, I've been standing next to yukon for the last 700 shells. I'll attest that although he did have a couple squibs - one of which left a ton of unburned powder in the barrel - we always check the barrel after a shot on our squad doesn't sound right. I'll second that he likely had nothing in his barrel.

I heard nothing loud...no double charges, nothing of that variety.

Guess i'll quit squadding next to him, LOL.

I like the idea of making it a top single, or cutting it off and Briley choking it.

He also has two combos..he should just shoot the other barrel, sell this one for a top single or scrap, and look for another used barrel...

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about getting a set of full length 20 guage tubes for the barrels. Then you could have a 20 guage trap gun. You will save money on shot and have no recoil. HMB

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I cannot understand why or how someone would use the word "pressure" when talking about a hole that is surrounded by holes with more holes on the other side and a really big hole a few inches away. I don't know what happened, but I sure do not think it was "pressure".

9. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Keep calling Browning; eventually you may end up talking to somebody with more sense and will look beyond the immediate bottom line and do the right thing for you: That is replace the barrel gratis. As Don Houk of the Yankees said years ago to Jim Bouton: "Don't be afraid to climb them golden stairs"...good luck and I hope truth, justice, and the American Way is served by those Miroku merchants.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

One other thing. Were you shooting factory ammo or reloads? Browning may not touch it if reloaded ammo is used.

Best,
    Dennis

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Send it to Browning! They have, at times, been very good on customer service. I once sent them a Citori with a bulged chamber from a hot reload. Briley wouldn't touch it. Came back repaired at no charge. If any barrel work was performed or evidence of a release trigger installation, you'll get it back the way it was sent!!

12. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

He didnt say what model it was, but browning only has the synergy in unsingle that I know of. If its not a synergy that means its an aftermarket (guns unlimited or the other) I wouldnt do anything with it either if I was browning. Even though its on the over under barrels its still an altered gun in theyre book, I'm sure thats why they are not covering anything.

13. Wentez

Wentez Member

Basic question - Is this factory porting? Answer to that could trigger a series of questions.

George

14. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yukon,,,I would very much like to know the outcome with Browning, on this,,,I have one of the same guns,,have not shot the o/u barrels that much (mostly the un-single),,,I like the gun, the price, fit, ect. but if the Browning is going to be that way about it,,,well it might be my last one. Norman

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I would be very interested to know what caused that.

It looks like the side rib has been distorted too, unless it is just the way it looks in the photo.

I wish Browning would offer the choice of porting or non-ported. I lucked out in that regard, my Citori Grade I Trap pre-dates it and the new BT99 I got last year doesn't have it. I like the guns but I would have to think how badly I wanted the porting, if I was in the market for a new target grade o/u.

16. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I also have the same gun only in the top single model. I'm also interested in the outcome of this one. Let us know.

17. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Browning doesnt make an unsingle XT, so they are not going to warranty or fix a gun thats been modified even if its on the O/U barrels. The gun has aftermarket work to it voiding any factory warranty. I think your just plain hosed.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

yukonjack222, Iam far from an expert at anything but I will say that your old gunsmith up there probably has the predicted outcome scenario in that eventually the barrel will crack to the next port. Is that the only port that appears to have a deformity to it? It may just be the pics or lighting but I see others that make me ask.

kelly anderson, are you sure about those combos?

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Like Rem870TB said, the side rib looks bent upward. The barrel looks bulged.

20. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Yup, I am. guns unlimited makes the XT unsingle, one other makes one also but I cant remember who. Browning makes a synergy unsingle combo. Browning will not work on an altered gun, that came right from them. And since it was altered to build an unsingle barrel that pretty much tells the story.The reason I know is I called browning a couple months ago to ask if the custom shop could build me a bottom unsingle for my citori XS. They said no and if I had somebody else make one my warranty was toast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.