1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building your own stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Can anyone recommend a good reference for info on building your own stock???

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If it's for a O/U or single BBL, maybe AJJ could weigh in with his experience. He built a "try stock" to fit himself exactly and then had it machined in Turkish walnut by a Montana stockmaker with spectacular results...

3. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

I'm looking for the same kind of info with my post on "gunstock duplication". I just purchased a duplication machine and need help with boring the drawbolt hole. Good luck with this ; I'm curious too. Oz

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Look inward. If you don't see anything best not try.

5. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Look inward. If you don't see anything best not try."

JerryP:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Been there.....done that......Hence the reason for my post.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's not easy, especially fitting to the gun frame, forend, and drilling the stock hole perfectly. I took pics of each step as we built my Seitz stock and forend. If it's a "one time deal", forget it. Hire some one.

7. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

email sent

8. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

[​IMG]

This is my first try at it with my uncle's old Ithica with a broken stock. Wood is mahogany with cherry accents. The work was all done by hand and I must say that the fitting of the reciever and forend was most of the work. Lots of patience! Very rewarding in the end if you've got "it" in you. Good Luck in your endeavor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Lefthdr, Do I dare ask how many hours you have in that. Great looking job BTW. You obviously must have a deep background in woodworking. Bob

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

mikkeeh,

One option for you is to buy an old 'junk' stock for your gun (maybe the one you have) and apply bondo until it fits. Bondo is great; just add more where needed or file some off if there's too much. I had no experience with bondo prior to my stock project and was able to figure out how much hardener to use, etc. Mixed it in paper cups and applied with popsicle sticks - all throw aways. Then send it to a stock duplicator to copy it to wood. DeVault does great duplications.

What are your starting points? Why are you doing this? Where do you want to go? Is this for a trap gun or something else?

11. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

Just a little over 40 hours. Wood worker by trade. Thanks for the compliment.

12. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

joe kuhn: (and others)

Ive done woodworking in one way or another for 40+yrs, built cabinets/furniture for a living for a while. Also love guns and trapshooting . Thought this would be a good way to combine both activities.

My hope was this forum could lead me to some useable reference material like books, article DVD's etc. I rec'd lots of replies...just not directed at the purpose of the post.

Thx for your interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.