1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Your Own Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a plain barrell model 12, 12 ga. 30" my dad bought for me over 50 years ago. It's still in perfect condition but I can't find a rib for it in my price range(social security). I'm anxious to rebuild this gun and have already purchased a nice forearm and buttstock.

My question: Has any one of you taken a add-on rib and fit it to your barrell? If so could we correspond so I can get the details, pro, con, pitfalls, advice, etc? Dave

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There was a thread on here several months ago or more where a guy made a rib for his gun from Delrin i believe. He did a pretty darn good job if i remember correctly.

Found it. Click on the link above.

http://tinyurl.com/3vd2t5s

3. Dave P

Thanks for that info. but unless I'm mistaken it to appears to be an add-on rib to a rib already installed. I feel confident I have the resources to get a rib milled . The problem I have is fitting to a plain barrell.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I see. I misunderstood your question. I don't see why it couldn't be done though. It will certainly require more skill than just adding on to the existing rib.

5. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

A few years back a friend of mine picked up a plain barreled Beretta O/U and put a rib on himself. He ordered a pretty nice machined aluminum rib, cut it to length and then accu-glassed it to the barrel. It ended up a little crooked, but if it hadn't been for that it would have been a good looking job. As I remember the rib was very inexpensive but nicely made. Be careful not to spoil a gun with sentimental value!!! Roger

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cripes, keep it and enjoy it for what it is and buy another Model 12 that has a rib. Or get another barrel assembly.

7. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

You can build one from wood if you are handy with tools. Go to a hardware store and buy a 3' long piece that is to your liking and a can of black spray paint. Also go to a auto parts store and buy the double-sided tape that is used in the automotive industry. Cut the wood according to your needs, spray paint black, and tape to the metal using the the double-sided tape. Glue a size 7-1/2 bb (or another size) for the bead. The good thing is if you decide you don't want it the removal is easy and your total loss is less than $20.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Years ago I shot with an old guy who epoxied a piece of flat aluminum to the barrel of his model 37 Winchester. We shot games and he cranked some very large loads through that gun and the rib stayed stuck. The epoxy job was kinda rough looking, but it worked for him.

I have also seen a rib mounting fixture that has a split collar around the front of the barrel that's clamped or epoxied to hold it place. I don't no how the back of the rib was attached. I think Dennis Devault of Devault Industries has used this type of system to mount his adjustable ribs. You might check him out.

Surfer

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Something to remember also. If you do add a rib to your shotgun, you will be raising the front bead location. This in turn will lower your point of impact, unless you also raise the comb by the same amount (height) of the added rib. Thus you will need to modify the stock to raise the comb as well as add the rib. In the end, it would likely be cheaper to simply get another, more suitable shotgun to meet your target shooting needs.

Jim R

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Did you miss the part about his limited resources? Buying another gun is not an option. You can build up the top of the stock with cheek-eeze pads. they come in various thicknesses and are quite reasonable. They are just a stick on pad in an oval shape that is approximately the same size as an adjustable comb. i have one on my Browning gold auto. This would build up the comb to fit the new rib. Bill Wheeler

11. Dave P

Thanks all, good food for thought.

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I did this for my sons Beretta. Of course we had to raise the comb also. We made stands and milled a rib. I believe I have a 34" rib and posts. Birdtracker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.