1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building your own Rem 1100 Comp Syn??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DonMirabito, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMirabito

DonMirabito TS Member

Given that it appears Remington can not meet the demand for their new 1100 Competition Synthetic shotgun, for whatever reasons, it seems reasonable that some might try to build one from available parts. Does anyone who has seen and/or shot the new gun know exactly how much difference the new Nickel-Teflon coatings on the internals actually makes????

2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

have been shooting an 1100 competition for several years. my guess is none! gun works great, looks fine with no noticable wear after several leagues and lots of fun shooting, but, compared to my other 1100's, I is see no advantage. Jack

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

One obvious advantage is that the receiver isn't going to rust, or the thin Remington bluing wear off. As far as any other advantage? Dunno. Mine shoots just fine. Had a couple small parts that needed replacing, about like a regular 1100. The Competition barrel is pretty heavy. I swapped out the Pro Bore barrel for a 30" Light contour. There was 7 ounces difference in weight. Ended up adding a 3 oz. stick on barrel weight to the lighter barrel and couldn't be happier.
    Dave

4. DonMirabito

DonMirabito TS Member

Thanks for the responses. I, like seemingly everyone else, have been trying to find one of the new 1100 Comp Syn guns for almost two years!!(since they were announced in 2010 catalog) I've been an 1100 shooter since about 1966. Unfortunately, my favorite gun circa 1981 has finally pretty much worn out. There seems to be only so many times they can be rebuilt before they start to jack up in doubles no matter what you do to them. I wanted to see if the new gun with its newfangled coatings would function more smoothly.
    I also hear lots of complaints about the muzzle heavy nature of the pro-bore barrels on the comp syn and folks switching them with the light contour ones. I don't know much about these *new* barrels with choke tubes. All mine have fixed chokes. I like the muzzle heavy feel.
    I guess I should just call Ken Rucker and order up one of his stock kits, slap it on one of my old 1100's and see what happens...

Don

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Jack West stocks on my 1100s, without the recoil reduction system. I don't see the need to further reduce the recoil of an 1100. I do shoot 1 oz loads. You can get a Jack West stock for around $200. Mark

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ditto what oregunner said. I have a Jack West stock, full choke trap barrel,
    release trigger - total cost about $500. Shoots great, no noticeable recoil,
    excellent balance.

The pro-bore barrel was a bad Remington mistake. It might have been o.k. in
    a 28" barrel, but not 30."

7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

I have one of the Competition models and you cannot believe how soft shooting it is without trying it for yourself. Mark R.

8. vatrap

vatrap Member

I built one from a Sportsman 12 receiver, Jack West stock with the Bumpbuster recoil reducer and an assortment of barrels including a Pro Bore , a Hastings High Rib trap barrel and a 30 inch step rib trap barrel. It's a target breaking machine if I do my part.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.