1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building up a stock with plexiglas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Interesting, but are you sure it's "plexiglass"? How is it applied? Where do you get it?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Plexiglas can be laminated with a clear glue, filed to shape and polished with a buffing wheel and it will look like clear glass. It does scratch rather easily.

Pat Ireland

3. jrton80

jrton80 Member

In the mid 70's I got a Remington 1100 as my first Trap gun. The guy I bought it from didn't have a neck (or super high cheekbones) and he used to take the Monte Carlo off of his guns. I wanted to build it back up and found a product at that time was called Enviro-Tex Lite. It was actually a two part clear epoxy that was used to make thick clear tops on table tops. Through trial and error, here was my process. I would build up a form (I used cardboard and duct tape) to make a form of sorts at the top of the stock where I wanted to add to the stock. Then I found that if I mixed too much material (over 1/2" in thickness) it would create bubbles in the product when it heated to cure. So I would add layers of product until I got it the height I wanted, then take off my forms. From there it was a very easy product to cut, file and finish as I wished. I still have the gun, shot maybe 3000 rounds with no problems, and I will try to add pics when I get home tonight (Some of us still work). Over the last 30 years or so, the product has yellowed some, but is never coming off. Plus it used to make for an interesting conversation piece. I had some friends that wanted to raise their stocks a little and I did maybe 7-8 guns of friends. They never had any issues either but who knows where the guns are nowadays after 30 years.
    Jeff Rickert

4. JLW

JLW TS Member

I'd like to see some pics!-Jerald

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've seen clear acrylic used...looked great when it was done. The guy that did it made dentures for a living and had access to the stuff.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Here is how this was done in the '70's. I shot a stock for 20 years with this feature. Go to a Hobby shop and buy the clear two part epoxy. Once the ingredients are mixed per instructions...it should be pourable. Prep your stock by duck taping a firm piece of paper (backing of an 8 1/2 X 11 note or legal pad is OK. Thin sheet plastic-bendable-works better). The form you are building should certainly be of the configuration you wish to achieve on the top of your existing stock and should allow the epoxy to cover the top and also on the side of your stock (slightly) as well. You should "build up" more material than needed because after the epoxy is cured...you will want to remove the form and shape with a file or sandpaper. The product should be fine sanded and polished. Leaves a clear addition to the top of your stock and if done well can be attractive. Be sure to plug one end of the form before you pour. If anyone is confused by the above, please e-mail or pm me and I'll get you a drawing.

Good luck,

milt

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I once watched a Browning stock maker add about 1/2" to a stock height after he cut it from the butt to the thumb groove. After he finished shaping the addittion he proceeded to hand paint the matching grain to the addittion. I didn't have that ability so when I tried it, I sandwitched a piece of 5/8" Lexan into the cut and reshaped as needed. Worked just fine and I still see that stock around every once in awhile. Shooter is still happy with the result.

Big Jack

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

You can get the Epoxy kit at Hobby Lobby.

"Extreme Power 30 minute Epoxy" They make a 5 minute version also but I'd think that might be a little quick.

$9.95 for kit with two 4 ounce bottles....makes approx. 8 ounces total.

Cut your plastic sheeting to the length of your comb. The width should be only enough to wrap over your comb and stop just past the center of the side of your stock and enough clearance on top to create the additional comb height you desire. Duct tape the plastic sheet to each side of your stock. Plug up one end (front of comb) then pour the epoxy into the open end. Let cure, remove plastic sheet and finish to your desired specs.

Good Luck!

milt

9. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Here are the pics of the finished products. Once I got into the safe I found that I also had one of the stocks I had done for a friend that pasted away on a model 12. He wanted a roll-over stock in the tradition of Anton (it was the 70's). Working with this product makes it very easy to get the stock where you want it and then some easy sanding and polishing to finish how ever you like. Hope the pics work.

Jeff

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/jrton80photo/th_DSCF0010.jpg

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/jrton80photo/th_DSCF0011.jpg

10. jrton80

jrton80 Member

One more try....

Jeff

[​IMG]

11. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Now that I have kind of figured out....one of the roll-over on the Model 12 stoack from the butt end.

Jeff

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.